2016 Four Continents Pairs Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Pairs Free Skate

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Dear lord, am I reading this correctly? She fell, hit her head, can't see correctly out of one eye and she *skated*?

Everyone here who thinks a gold medal is worth a head injury or your eyesight, line up over here so I can slap you silly:dev2:

I hope this is not what it sounds like; my best wishes for her restored health!
And she's got influenza on top of all that. I also hope that she get's time to rest and heal properly before Worlds!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if someone already said it, but isn't Scimeca/Knierim the first USA pairs team to surpass 200 points in an international competition?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Dear lord, am I reading this correctly? She fell, hit her head, can't see correctly out of one eye and she *skated*?

Everyone here who thinks a gold medal is worth a head injury or your eyesight, line up over here so I can slap you silly:dev2:

I hope this is not what it sounds like; my best wishes for her restored health!

What happened to Sui actually sounds like a retinal detachment, which causes permanent eyesight loss if not evaluated and treated ASAP. Yet this happened several weeks ago and they're only going to a medical professional NOW? Who's making the decisions here?!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What happened to Sui actually sounds like a retinal detachment, which causes permanent eyesight loss if not evaluated and treated ASAP. Yet this happened several weeks ago and they're only going to a medical professional NOW? Who's making the decisions here?!

This is exactly what I was thinking, if the description is accurate. My father had a retinal detachment after a fall, had his sight get progressively worse in one eye, waited two days to go to the hospital, and could very well have lost his eyesight.

I don't know what they're thinking:noshake: I can only hope that the description is wrong. I really really hope the description is wrong.....

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Gah, I had heard a bit about Sui's injuries coming into this competition and watching them skate here was basically me sticking my fingers in my ears and saying "LALALALA" at the top of my lungs.

But now that the competition's over and we've learned more, I'm seriously concerned. Wenjing is a queen and a competitor on Aljona Savchenko's level, but someone on the coaching team or her federation has to speak up. And I worry that they won't. Because if Sui/Han withdraw from Worlds, who would replace them? They had an extra spot here but didn't even bother to send Wang/Wang, plus Peng may be injured/she and Zhang may have split up (these are both rumors, I think).

eta

Medalist
BESP 1 is showing pairs (highlights I think?) right now if anyone is interested.

Sackie

Medalist
And with their showing here - especially their high scoring free skate doesn't it also put the American's in as contenders for medals in Boston. I mean they will have the rush of skating at home and the support of the crowd. I mean their TES is the highest from Europeans and 4CC. And their free skate score is the 3rd highest.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I honestly can't understand how she was cleared by doctors to skate. I mean... Look at icenetwork and their pre 4CC lineup of articles referring concussions. And we've got Wenjing skating after that kind of fall. I don't like it. I adore Sui/Han this season, they've got my heart, but I just can't cope with the thought of her skating like that. I think I know she has this kind of spirit but what about her doctors? Do they have any kind of responsability for her health?

I have had Posterior vitreous detachment. When this happens, a retinal tear is a possibility and my eye doc watched out for it pretty closely and wanted me to call him day or night if the bursts of light and floaters got worse suddenly. I retinal tear or separation is very serious, especially the separation.
"With modern therapy, over 90 percent of those with a retinal detachment can be successfully treated, although sometimes a second treatment is needed. However, the visual outcome is not always predictable. The final visual result may not be known for up to several months following surgery. Even under the best of circumstances, and even after multiple attempts at repair, treatment sometimes fails and vision may eventually be lost. Visual results are best if the retinal detachment is repaired before the macula (the center region of the retina responsible for fine, detailed vision) detaches. That is why it is important to contact an eye care professional immediately if you see a sudden or gradual increase in the number of floaters and/or light flashes, or a dark curtain over the field of vision."
As an aside, if any of you older folk, like me, out there see flashes of light and floaters, get to eye doc right away.....I have had PVD in both eyes now but thankfully, with no tears. The floaters are a nuscence but you can live with them.....

neostra

Rinkside
Megan and Eric's withdrawn broke my heart because they are a part of the reason why I went to the arena. They became my favorite pair skaters since Sochi and their sp at Sochi was my favorite in that competition. I was so happy to know that they would go to 2016 4CC because that might be the only opportunity I have to watch them compete in person. I didn't have time for the first day of the competition so the fs was my last chance. However, when I saw their sp on my cellphone in the hospital, I knew something was wrong. When their WD was announced, I could hear my heart breaking into pieces like a broken glass...

To be honest, I was thinking to skip the whole pair fs but since I was going to be there for three days, I stayed for the entire competition. Congrats to Sui/Han even though I was not impressed by their performance. Also Congrats to Yu xiao yu, I remembered how hard she fell in GP series, and she's very polite to fans, good for her. last but not least, congrats to the silver medalists, they did a good job.

Wish the best for Megan and Eric!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Luba needs to REALLY work on her jumps

maybe get her to work on only her jumps for the whole summer?

Is Lubov's 2axel any better than her 3t or 3s? I'm wondering if they'd be better off going for 2a in the FS so they don't have to go for both 3s and 3t. I know the BV is less but a clean 2a or 2a-2a sequence is going to be worth more points than a messy, UR 3t or 3s attempt. She should choose one triple jump to focus on and then the 2a, then train those two jumps over and over. The rest of the package is so good.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Lubov has ALWAYS been not good at the jumps but people excused her and always blamed her partner for their lack of success. Because she skated oh so so pretty and he wasn't the most artistic it was he that was holding her back. Her lack of success with the jumps was hardly an issue with fans it was always him :rolleye:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm sure Lubov's solo jumps will get better. She's skating for Canada now after all, they'll work on that. And I think Lubov looks healthier than last season, that's good because I think she needs a little more strength, that's what she was always missing.