2016 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Mens SP

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^ Thanks s_parks, it's funny, I have never paid much attention to 4CC before this season and I have to wonder why that is. Is it in a different time of the year than usual. When Polina and Josh went, I didn't even see it until it came out on Youtube. Weird.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max needs to beat Jin, Yan, and Mura to really be in a strong position for worlds. If Jin goes clean in the fs, he'll be well above even if he gets low pcs. Max has very similar PBs as Yan and Mura though, so it'll be close if the three skate similarly well.

Max handily beat both Yan and Mura at Skate America, where, I must remind folks, he also beat Uno and Ten. Yan has been quite out-of-form this season, and Mura's not been much better. Max should easily top Jin on PCS even if not TES.

Where Max could be in trouble is that he did not get the lunatic GPF inflation that everyone else got - heck, didn't even get proper Nationals inflation in St Paul - so we'll have to wait and see if that hurts him with the judges.

(and to answer the other question, no, it's always around this time.)

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^ Thanks Karne, I don't think that Max is the type of person to hold a grudge against Adam for IMO, a mistake made by the judging panel. I think it's more ME, who wants to see Max go out and skate the crap out of his programs here, and at home in Boston.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^^ Thanks Karne, I don't think that Max is the type of person to hold a grudge against Adam for IMO, a mistake made by the judging panel. I think it's more ME, who wants to see Max go out and skate the crap out of his programs here, and at home in Boston.

I'm sure Max would never blame Adam for the technical panel's errors. But I am with you - I would love to see Max absolutely smash it out of the ballpark both here and at Worlds and really rub it in the USFS' face that they got it oh so wrong.

Eclair

Medalist
Interspectator has posted a youtube link to practice videos of Shoma, Patrick, Boyang Jin and Han yan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzo_eob_5CzaYv5ArZ8KqA

Jin's and Patrick's practice is worth a look! They're both very different, and while Jin's was very exciting to watch nailing all his quads including 4Lz) the one perspective camera really brought out Patrick's SS (also Patrick landed a 4t-3t perfectly).

I was surprised by Boyangs SS and expression, I had imagined worse :laugh: and he almost collided with another skater in the first 10s of his programm :think: Hoping for not another injury-prone 4cc!

Edit: Apparently the link I copied from Interspectator's post didn't work, but now it should be fine

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Interspectator has posted a youtube link to practice videos of Shoma, Patrick, Boyang Jin and Han yan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClz...5CzaYv5ArZ8KqA

I hope Han will be perfectly OK. He had a hard fall at practice that seemed to hurt him. I like his program, regardless of all the anti Nichol comments. By contrast, Boyang and Shoma seemed to concentrate on jumps with long preparations. I don't find Boyang's skating skills poor as claimed by some, but they pale against Patrick's and Han's.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I hope Han will be perfectly OK. He had a hard fall at practice that seemed to hurt him. I like his program, regardless of all the anti Nichol comments. By contrast, Boyang and Shoma seemed to concentrate on jumps with long preparations. I don't find Boyang's skating skills poor as claimed by some, but they pale against Patrick's and Han's.

Boyang's skating in practices look much better than in competition.

In competition, I'd put his SS behind Sota and Nathan's and a lot behind Shoma. -Just comparing with his other up and coming contemporaries. I'm sure he'll get there though.

Eclair

Medalist
Boyang's skating in practices look much better than in competition.

In competition, I'd put his SS behind Sota and Nathan's and a lot behind Shoma. -Just comparing with his other up and coming contemporaries. I'm sure he'll get there though.

Yep, for me it's (SS): Patrick > Han yan, Kozuka, Hanyu > Shoma > Fernandez > Nathan > Boyang > Kevin

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yep, for me it's (SS): Patrick > Han yan, Kozuka, Hanyu > Shoma > Fernandez > Nathan > Boyang > Kevin

I'd put Denis in the slot behind Patrick as well. Gorgeous skating- too bad he's so injured all the time.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
A lot popped jumps for Chan there. Boyang's 4lz looks great, but his other quads are not easthetically pleasing, and all of them has just long simple setup out of the program

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

There is no way Han Yan is equal to Kozuka. No way at all. It's more like Chan > Kozuka > Yuzu > Han/Shoma. Maybe even Yuzu equal to Taka, if we're looking at ease and flow across the ice. Taka has a better depth of edge but Yuzu is faster and more effortless.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
ISU knows what's real. :agree: Maybe the person who was entering the results watched the programs only without scores and went, "Well, duh! Obviously Max won."

Love that you conveniently choose to forget that Max has beaten both Shoma and Denis this season.

Barely with inflated components...

Eclair

Medalist
There is no way Han Yan is equal to Kozuka. No way at all. It's more like Chan > Kozuka > Yuzu > Han/Shoma. Maybe even Yuzu equal to Taka, if we're looking at ease and flow across the ice. Taka has a better depth of edge but Yuzu is faster and more effortless.

You're right. I rewatched Kozuka and Han yan's programms and indeed on second thought I would put Chan > Kozuka > Hanyu, Hanyan, Shoma

I've forgotten how beautiful Kozuka's SS are, since it's been so long I've watched him skate :noshake: but now I rewatched his 2015 worlds LP and I'm blown away by his SS. Really a shame he was never very consistent...

I'm still not sure about Dennis. When watching Hanyan or Kozuka, their SS really stand out - it's the first thing I notice and everything they do really only adds to their SS. But with Dennis, it's more his lines and movements, not so much his deep edges that I notice first. Maybe I should watch Dennis live to get a better grip on his speed and smoothness across the ice :scratch2:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
You're right. I rewatched Kozuka and Han yan's programms and indeed on second thought I would put Chan > Kozuka > Hanyu, Hanyan, Shoma

There is no way Hanyu is on the same level as Shoma and Han Yan. At least I would put him in the same level as Kozuka or even just behind Chan. He is more powerfull and faster than Kozuka, Han Yan and Shoma

:biggrin:

Eclair

Medalist
There is no way Hanyu is on the same level as Shoma and Han Yan. At least I would put him in the same level as Kozuka or even just behind Chan. He is more powerfull and faster than Kozuka, Han Yan and Shoma

:biggrin:

I didn't meant to put the three (Hanyu, Han yan and Shoma) in one category, just wanted to point out, that I would put Kozuka in front of all three of them :biggrin:

Hanyu ist really fast but hasn't that 'buttered' skating Patrick and Kozuka has. Not to take away from hanyu's skills, but in my book, his SS is not on par with Patrick and Kozuka. :slink: Now I'm going to find a hide-out asap, before I get shredded in pieces for this statement:drama: But before anyone does: I want to mention that I like Hanyu's jumps a lot!:biggrin:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't breathe.....When is this event starting for those on the US west coast? How does Patrick look????? How about Max?? I need details people....:drama:

Never mind, I just found it. What an odd schedule. It must not be much fun for Tom Z. He will get no rest during this event. Of course, I could never when my students were at a big event so maybe he doesn't either. ;)

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't breathe.....When is this event starting for those on the US west coast? How does Patrick look????? How about Max?? I need details people....:drama:

I think it starts around 2AM west coast time tomorrow. If you're awake and can find a stream that is. I'm waiting for videos.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it starts around 2AM west coast time tomorrow. If you're awake and can find a stream that is. I'm waiting for videos.

Thanks apgold, I just found it. Good grief. How do these skaters do it with time change. Their bodies must be half asleep.