Canning Green Beans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canning Green Beans

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker

I am from the school that we like our green beans cooked until they are very tender, preferably with as much bacon grease as possible, The late Lewis Grizzard who was a humorist and columnist for the Atlanta newspaper and BTW also played Suzanne and Julia Sugarbaker's brother Clayton on "Designing Women" talked about there being two different kinds of restaurants. A good restaurant in his opinion cooked the green beans and served tomatoes raw. A fancy, and in his opinion not so great, restaurant cooked their tomatoes but forgot to thoroughly cook their green beans. :D :D :D

Pookie

Final Flight
That's right but if there are too many to use up right away it's better to freeze them than get old.

That's true. :)

I'm just saying that if Paula decided canning or freezing took too much time and trouble I've always found neighbors, family and friends were always willing to take some off my hands. :laugh: After I canned a couple of years, I decided that it was too hot and too much work and my kids liked Del Monte better. :p

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I barely have the time to take the weeds out of my small plot much less do this canning thing!

New canner

Spectator
Popping lids off my green beans

I open kettled the beans for about 5-10 min., placed them in hot jars with canning salt and put on lids and rings. Well they all popped and sealed, but with in 24 hours after they sealed, they started to pop there seal. There was a white foam @ the top of the jar and bubbles rising from the bottom. We thought maybe we did not cook them long enough so we opened them up put them back in a pan and cooked longer. Well they are again doing the same thing. My mom and grandfather is lost to this problem, can any one help us on why this happened and are they still good to eat if eatten right away?
Thanks New canner