Back from Vacation! | Golden Skate

Back from Vacation!

Aloft04

On the Ice
Hey!! Welcome home - we missed you!

I'm lovin' Maddy's hat and her Sasha spread eagle!

The highlight of my trip was ________(fill in the blank) :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Welcome back RGal, any details to share? And happy belated birthday to Madelyn!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Well, first of all, we had quite a "situation" before we left. My mom was supposed to fly out to take care of RG Jr. & Madelyn, but my stepdad broke his leg and could not fly. So, I had to get RG Jr. on my flight to Miami, so my mom could pick her up there (she lives an hour away). At first Travelocity said they couldn't get her on the flight but then they did--thankfully! My business partner took the dog, and another friend took Angel, the hamster.

Anyhow... we stopped in 4 ports: San Juan (Puerto Rico), St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau (Bahamas). They were gorgeous--so picturesque for the most part, although there are "rough" areas. We took island tours on each island via taxi then shopped and walked 'til we dropped. We almost said our final goodbyes in St. Thomas when our driver decided that it would be a good idea to cut off a CEMENT TRUCK! Yup, that was attractive... NOT! Oh, the driver made a brief stop at a nude beach on St. Maarten--and believe me, the people who were letting it all hang out should have covered up! These were the people who should have kept their treasures hidden, if you catch my drift! I am not a beach person (red hair, freckles, pale skin--do the math...), so you won't catch me hanging out on a beach all day when I could be touring.

The cruise ship was nothing short of incredible. Royal Caribbean's "Explorer of the Seas" is an engineering and architectural wonder. About 3500 passengers and 1100 crew members. Every night I felt like I was eating in a 5-star restaurant, the nightly shows felt like Las Vegas, and there were lots and lots of activities to fill up your 2 full days at sea as well as your evenings. I never had a moment of sea sickness, although the funny thing is that for the past two days, I've felt as though I were rocking!

Now we're thinking that maybe we will cruise to Alaska on our next vacation!

I'll upload a few photos to photobucket and post here in a few minutes.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
View from our room's porthole:

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/dcc66aa5.jpg

St. Thomas--Sure wish I had brought my wide-angle lens!:

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/792cb9ef.jpg

St. Thomas from its highest mountain top:

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/249381c3.jpg

St. Thomas is U.S. territory so I had phone service! Catching up with my business partner--I just HAD to know what was going on! Also, of course I was checking up on Madelyn! Mr. RG has a "thing" about taking photos of me on the phone! (I also talked to RG Jr., of course--but I remember talking to my partner when Mr. RG snapped these shots!) :D

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/ace1a30f.jpg

From a distance, It's hard to have perspective on just how massive this vessel is:

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/a3c4a762.jpg

The dining room is 3 stories high and accommodates 1600 people. There are 2 servings each evening. We chose the later seating at 8:30 p.m. because otherwise, we would be hurrying back from port to get ready for dinner, and frankly, it's good to have a rest in between touring and eating dinner!

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/RealtorGal/7234c653.jpg

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Oh, the driver made a brief stop at a nude beach on St. Maarten--and believe me, the people who were letting it all hang out should have covered up! These were the people who should have kept their treasures hidden, if you catch my drift!

LOL, A group of us from nursing school went to Club Med in Martinique many years ago for a reunion. I was shocked at some of the people who went nude...these were people who risked breaching good taste if they had worn a swimsuit. :eek: :eek: :eek: Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should. :D

My sister and her hubby went on an Alaskan cruise a year ago and loved it. The pictures they brought back were amazing.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
HA!! It's just like that Designing Women episode where they had to design for a nudist colony and later back at the office Suzanne was going off about "So I see all this stuff just hangin' out and flappin' around out there and all I could think was what Grandma Sugarbaker used to say -- 'If it don't look good, well then, don't put it on your porch!'!!" :laugh:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
RealtorGal- so glad you had so much fun! Love the pictures of your trip and of Madelyn, she almost looks human :D

Now that you are back and it is summer we have to make a skating date.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
RGal, those are amazing pictures. Glad you had a great time.....42

euterpe

Medalist
I have been on many cruises, and almost always chose the last dinner sitting. On some cruises, though, it can backfire on you. On one cruise, there was no way you could get a seat for the second show, because all the senior citizens (and they consituted about 75% of the passengers) went to the early dinner sitting, then went to the first show---and stayed on for the second show, too! That time, I prayed for the sea to get a bit rough, because my husband and I never get seasick, but many passengers do, and they retire to their staterooms. That seemed to be the only way we'd get to see a show that trip! Unfortunately, the sea was as smooth as glass and we never got to see the show.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
You mean she's NOT?! :eek: :D

I can hear that indignant pug snort now ;) LOL

Yuka was even offended, and it wasn't directed her puggy way at all! ;) :laugh:

Gotta luv them pugs...

here's a question... was she extremely happy to see you or did she snub you? And if she was happy to see you did she protest while you were away?

Yuka always snubs the "babysitter" and gets all excited when I get home
Jordy--my pug who left us october 2002--used to get mad and pee on my pillows! LOL

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Here's a question... was she extremely happy to see you or did she snub you? And if she was happy to see you did she protest while you were away?

Yuka always snubs the "babysitter" and gets all excited when I get home
Jordy--my pug who left us october 2002--used to get mad and pee on my pillows! LOL

Funny you should ask. She was totally OVERJOYED when we came back. She didn't know who to jump on first, so she kept jumping from me to Mr. RG to RG Jr. The next day she peed on my carpet--hasn't done THAT in months!

However, she peed, pooped and barfed in C's house (my partner). She barked incessantly until C let her play outside during the day with her 2 outdoor dogs (there's no fence-they just hang out in the front yard and I didn't want Madelyn to bolt so she kept her leashed). Now, C's house is quite boisterous, she has 4 kids, 2 dogs, a bird, a hamster and a bird, not to mention friends of all these aforementioned kids. Our house is very quiet by comparison. Imagine how frightened and confused my poor Madelyn must have been--Where's my Mama, Dadda, E. and all that. I thought you might enjoy reading the following letter C. sent me "from" Madelyn while we were away.

"Hi Mom, Dad and E--,

I really miss you guys. The cat wants no part of me and the dogs love me. I am not too fond of B. [C.'s son, age 13] but I'm working it out with him. He gave me a cookie today, but I still don't know about him. He makes me bark and my Auntie C. and Uncle D. get mad at me. So I threw up and pooped on their floor, that'll teach em.
I experienced my first earthquake today. They just upgraded it to a 5.2 and now it seems to have been in the ocean off of Rosarito, not on land. There is damage to the Fashion Valley Mall, but I don't care because that's not where you buy my cookies or goofy hats.
I am now in my terrible two's but I promise that when I see you I will have it all out of my system. One good runny poop on the beige carpeting and heck I'm over it.
Hey at least they gave me a party! I got a chicken treat and it was good. I'm going to keep this one down. When I get bored I chase my butt, and right now B. is going to take me for a walk. I'm so manipulative aren't I ? That's one way to get outta this noisy place. The other two dogs will be jealous but what do I care they get to stay outside all day and I get locked in the kitchen. Why can't I run with the big dogs, Mom? You're so over protective of me.
Well I'm tired, and B. is chasing me around the house so I'm going to lie down now. Being two is exhausting!
Love you guys, hope you're having fun,
Lots of licks,
Madelyn"

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RGal, Madelyn tried to post to us while you were gone, but the board wouldn't accept her log on ID. :D

ouridol

On the Ice
I'm going to St. Maarten! I'm so excited about it :D Can you give me any more info? Like what to wear, attractions, etc etc! Thank you so much. Oh and I cruiesd Royal Caribbean last time, too. it was awesome

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi RG,

Glad you had a great time cruising. My friends, who took a 3 day to Bahamas, said the same thing you did: the trip was on a calm sea and then we felt like we were rocking once we got back on land! They had a great time too. :laugh:

Hope you get that Alaska cruise. I hear they are spectacular!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:

Funny you should ask. She was totally OVERJOYED when we came back. She didn't know who to jump on first, so she kept jumping from me to Mr. RG to RG Jr. The next day she peed on my carpet--hasn't done THAT in months!

However, she peed, pooped and barfed in C's house (my partner). She barked incessantly until C let her play outside during the day with her 2 outdoor dogs (there's no fence-they just hang out in the front yard and I didn't want Madelyn to bolt so she kept her leashed). Now, C's house is quite boisterous, she has 4 kids, 2 dogs, a bird, a hamster and a bird, not to mention friends of all these aforementioned kids. Our house is very quiet by comparison. Imagine how frightened and confused my poor Madelyn must have been--Where's my Mama, Dadda, E. and all that. I thought you might enjoy reading the following letter C. sent me "from" Madelyn while we were away.

"Hi Mom, Dad and E--,

I really miss you guys. The cat wants no part of me and the dogs love me. I am not too fond of B. [C.'s son, age 13] but I'm working it out with him. He gave me a cookie today, but I still don't know about him. He makes me bark and my Auntie C. and Uncle D. get mad at me. So I threw up and pooped on their floor, that'll teach em.
I experienced my first earthquake today. They just upgraded it to a 5.2 and now it seems to have been in the ocean off of Rosarito, not on land. There is damage to the Fashion Valley Mall, but I don't care because that's not where you buy my cookies or goofy hats.
I am now in my terrible two's but I promise that when I see you I will have it all out of my system. One good runny poop on the beige carpeting and heck I'm over it.
Hey at least they gave me a party! I got a chicken treat and it was good. I'm going to keep this one down. When I get bored I chase my butt, and right now B. is going to take me for a walk. I'm so manipulative aren't I ? That's one way to get outta this noisy place. The other two dogs will be jealous but what do I care they get to stay outside all day and I get locked in the kitchen. Why can't I run with the big dogs, Mom? You're so over protective of me.
Well I'm tired, and B. is chasing me around the house so I'm going to lie down now. Being two is exhausting!
Love you guys, hope you're having fun,
Lots of licks,
Madelyn"

awwwwwww LOL that's so cute...

yeah Yuka chases her butt/tail whenever she wants to "change the subject" LOL