State of Australian Skating 2016 | Golden Skate

State of Australian Skating 2016

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Kailani is ahead of Brooklee in current season rankings in Australia. Kailani has a SP 31.79 at 2015 AFSC and FP 54.49 at NSW championships. Brooklee has a SP 28.94 at 2015 Nebelhorn Trophy and FP 50.18 also at 2015 Nebelhorn.

I heard Brooklee declined her OWI contract when offered.

Also in ISU Season World Rankings, Kailani is ranked 46 and Brooklee is ranked 67.

I have no idea where you got that information but Brooklee is still the top senior ranked skater by over 4 points in Australia (unless this changes when the rankings are finally updated) and is ranked 37th in the world compared to Kailani at 56. We are talking about senior because that's who goes to the olympics which is why I presume OWI fund her! Brooklee is too old now to skate junior! Also ISU scores not national scores are much more important for worlds and olympics . Brooklee still reigns supreme in ISU senior scores!

Icesk8r

Rinkside
I have no idea where you got that information but Brooklee is still the top senior ranked skater by over 4 points in Australia (unless this changes when the rankings are finally updated) and is ranked 37th in the world compared to Kailani at 56. We are talking about senior because that's who goes to the olympics which is why I presume OWI fund her! Brooklee is too old now to skate junior! Also ISU scores not national scores are much more important for worlds and olympics . Brooklee still reigns supreme in ISU senior scores!

You need to read the ISA-08 ISA season Ranking Policy on the ISA website. It establishes the criteria for current season rankings. This policy bases the scores achieved at 2015/2016 events namely the benchmark comps in Australia and all ISU international competitions in the 2015/2016 season. The current list on the ISA website is not current season as it includes events from 2014. (2014/2015 season) maybe it's more a document for an international pool list?

Kailani's ISU World Ranking is 46 and Brooklee 67. World Ranking is based on current season. ISU World Standing is different. Kailani is placed 56 and Brooklee 37. World Standing is based on the preceding 2 seasons and the current one.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
You need to read the ISA-08 ISA season Ranking Policy on the ISA website. It establishes the criteria for current season rankings. This policy bases the scores achieved at 2015/2016 events namely the benchmark comps in Australia and all ISU international competitions in the 2015/2016 season. The current list on the ISA website is not current season as it includes events from 2014. (2014/2015 season) maybe it's more a document for an international pool list?

Kailani's ISU World Ranking is 46 and Brooklee 67. World Ranking is based on current season. ISU World Standing is different. Kailani is placed 56 and Brooklee 37. World Standing is based on the preceding 2 seasons and the current one.

Why would anyone read a policy to determine rankings? Can you post link to world ranking because I'm going off ISU site ??

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
I'm. Not sure current season is as relevant. Longevity ad consistency is more important season to season as all skaters have up and downs

Icesk8r

Rinkside

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Thank you - from what I gather though the world standing is a more accurate picture over a longer period of time and is still used as basis for the major comps. There is no doubt at present Kailani is doing better and it would be good if our rankings were updated to reflect that. Season ranking would be affected by injury etc

brookes1968

Rinkside
My guess is that the Four Continents team will be:

Kalaini Craine, Brooklee Han, Brendan Kerry and Andrew Dodds.

Interestingly, Katie Pasfield skated at the FMBA Trophy in Abu Dhabi this weekend and earned the minimum required TES for Four Continents.
She was skating in the junior ladies division, though, so that might count against her being nominated.

Team Australia was well represented at the event, too.

http://uaeisf.com/results/index.htm

The ISA site is really out of date in a few areas and very hard to navigate. The NSWISA site was a shocker as well trying to find information for Nationals. Links were scattered all over the place.

My guess is that they only have unpaid volunteers helping out from time to time with website updates.

Yes very interesting results from UAE where remarkably Pasfield managed to get scores with not even an attempt at triple. I'm sure Australia will do really well against the likes of Edmunds and Gold with a 17 year old Junior without an attempt at triple who got marks at the last minute at a questionable competition in the UAE. Come on people!

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Yes very interesting results from UAE where remarkably Pasfield managed to get scores with not even an attempt at triple. I'm sure Australia will do really well against the likes of Edmunds and Gold with a 17 year old Junior without an attempt at triple who got marks at the last minute at a questionable competition in the UAE. Come on people!

I'm in two minds about skaters who barely meet the minimum technical jumping requirements, and are rewarded with international assignments.

On the one hand it is great to send skaters overseas for the experience and the exposure. On the other hand, it may sew seeds of concern in international judges minds that a country sending these skaters simply isn't competitive with the rest of the field. This can only set them up for ongoing disappointment.

Having said this, Pasfield does indeed have two different triples (salchow and loop) which I saw her land in practice at Nationals in December. So, maybe it was a strategic decision on the part of her team to skate clean and earn the minimum TES instead of upping the ante and risk not making it. She is a very well rounded skater in terms of spins, steps, linking elements, interpretation, etc.

These tactics can work both ways, but knowing a lot of the skaters, their coaches and parents, they all have different goals and pathways.

Last edited:

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Im shocked that the scores attained from the competition in Abu Dhabi actually count. Surely not everyone was aware of this. Otherwise why didn't Chantelle Kerry and Jordan Dodds go ??

Spinning

On the Ice
Im shocked that the scores attained from the competition in Abu Dhabi actually count. Surely not everyone was aware of this. Otherwise why didn't Chantelle Kerry and Jordan Dodds go ??

OMG their protocols are very interesting to say the least. Is this really count? :shocked:

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice

Probably because they just all went to Poland plus it seems to be a very in house situation with Susan Lynch & Maureen Sumner really pushing this comp and all her skaters doing well. pasfield also trains occassionally with Sumner and her Dad Michael has lots of connections in Asia with shows. Seems to be more of a social event than serious comp with what appears to be same panel in every level.

Icesk8r

Rinkside

Not sure why you are shocked that's scores from Abu Dhabi comp count? It is an ISU event on the ISU calendar so the judging and technical panels have to comply with ISU rules for it to be an international competition. Also there are further ISU requirements on the number of skaters and members per event for it to be counted as an International event to obtain min tes for championship events. This is the same criteria for any other competition on the ISU calendar. Abu Dhabi comp happen to cover these requirements.

Why is the Abu Dhabi comp viewed "questionable"?

Who knows why Chantelle and Jordan did not go. Could it be that the ISA policy cutoff date for obtaining 4cc score to fill quota is 18 Jan which was after Torun but before Abu Dhabi comp? Why was the cutoff date 18 Jan when you have 21 days before the start of 4cc to obtain tes (ISU rule). Is it now fair to send Katie to 4cc? Could Abu Dhabi have been a better option for Chantelle and Jordan if they had the opportunity to choose?

I think the focus should be on ISA on how they are going to deal with this in a fair and transparent way. Either way not everyone is going to be happy. Changing the cutoff date is obviously going to benefit a particular skater. Surely ISA can't be seen to change policies to suit particular skater? The positive for Katie which no one can take away is she has the min tes for junior worlds and 4cc for next season.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Not sure why you are shocked that's scores from Abu Dhabi comp count? It is an ISU event on the ISU calendar so the judging and technical panels have to comply with ISU rules for it to be an international competition. Also there are further ISU requirements on the number of skaters and members per event for it to be counted as an International event to obtain min tes for championship events. This is the same criteria for any other competition on the ISU calendar. Abu Dhabi comp happen to cover these requirements.

Why is the Abu Dhabi comp viewed "questionable"?

Who knows why Chantelle and Jordan did not go. Could it be that the ISA policy cutoff date for obtaining 4cc score to fill quota is 18 Jan which was after Torun but before Abu Dhabi comp? Why was the cutoff date 18 Jan when you have 21 days before the start of 4cc to obtain tes (ISU rule). Is it now fair to send Katie to 4cc? Could Abu Dhabi have been a better option for Chantelle and Jordan if they had the opportunity to choose?

I think the focus should be on ISA on how they are going to deal with this in a fair and transparent way. Either way not everyone is going to be happy. Changing the cutoff date is obviously going to benefit a particular skater. Surely ISA can't be seen to change policies to suit particular skater? The positive for Katie which no one can take away is she has the min tes for junior worlds and 4cc for next season.

All of the skaters concerned for 4CC had multiple opportunities to get marks throughout the year. Katie got lucky and has obviously had some great advice. We all know some get more support to achieve goals than others. Who knows they may send her to junior worlds instead of Kailani! It's interesting that nothing has been updated by ISA since before nationals - if there is a spare spot at 4cC why not send her. The proof will be in the pudding in that field anyway!

Icesk8r

Rinkside
All of the skaters concerned for 4CC had multiple opportunities to get marks throughout the year. Katie got lucky and has obviously had some great advice. We all know some get more support to achieve goals than others. Who knows they may send her to junior worlds instead of Kailani! It's interesting that nothing has been updated by ISA since before nationals - if there is a spare spot at 4cC why not send her. The proof will be in the pudding in that field anyway!

Well a decision would have been made on Katie's entry as the 4cc entry deadline was yesterday. That is assuming if offered the position she would take it. So I expect we will have to wait for the ISU entry list to see if Katie is included because ISA aren't going to widely publish that they have changed their policy for the benefit of one skater. I don't begrudge Katie's inclusion into the team, just circumstances around the selection and fairness to other skaters.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I suppose we just have to wait and see. Speculation is of no value unless there is proof.