Judge me if you can | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Judge me if you can

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Apparently, I had a bit of time today to make the submitting form for the final group of 4CC Men FS event :agree:
So now you can pretend like a real judge and score performances while watching live. (You can score/edit after the event as well.)

Here you go:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18STHeuwHm05lmVs5vr4OOfPcDZt3y2srU6bS-X7FWfU/viewform

NOTE: The elements currently shown are planned contents (For Grant and Takahito, I couldn't fine their planned content sheets so they are based on their protocols from the Nats and GPS.). They may be different from what the skaters actually do. In that case, just score the elements in the performed order.

Also, for this one, I chose to have a deadline - you must submit your scores by Tuesday 1st March 23:59 GMT (tell me if that's too early tho). Then we'll see the final answer of we judges :)
I'll set up the result page and the protocol in few days time!

Ah ! I think you forgot to give -GOE scale on quad to -4 , now it is -3
if it's doable :biggrin:

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
Ah ! I think you forgot to give -GOE scale on quad to -4 , now it is -3
if it's doable :biggrin:

Don't worry ;)
You know, the judges give GOEs from -3 to 3 then they're factored according to the rule - each element has different factors. So if you choose -3 for a quad, the excel formulas I entered in the protocol sheet automatically converts it to -4. Or for a spin, +GOE is factored by 0.5 and -GOE is factored by 0.3 and so on.
(My system doesn't cut off the highest and the lowest like the real system does.)

BTW, as I was making this, I realised that for StSq3, +GOE is factored by 0.5 while -GOE is factored by 0.7... StSq3 is the only element that is punished more and awarded less apart from quads. Does anyone know why? :confused:

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
THIS IS AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Literally dreams coming true. I have to say I'm also already learning much more about the judging system doing this. I'm appreciating the unique qualities of Evgenia and Elena more specifically now that I've tried judging them according to ISU rules... also it's making me realize where I really have strong opinions! Apparently I'm VERY picky about what makes a good layback spin hahah!

Definitely will keep participating!

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Excellent idea! I actually decided not to judge Lena and Zhenia, because I want to exclude any bias:D I better do 4 continents thing:) Thanks!

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Absolutely fantastic idea, I enjoyed it. One suggestion- in the result box, instead of showing the weighted PC score, can you show the average score that we actually gave them? I was looking at all of the PC scores on the results page and thought initially we had all given them 6's.
Please do more of these, that was lots of fun and it is interesting to see how we compare to ISU judges.

Perdita

Final Flight
Absolutely fantastic idea, I enjoyed it. One suggestion- in the result box, instead of showing the weighted PC score, can you show the average score that we actually gave them? I was looking at all of the PC scores on the results page and thought initially we had all given them 6's.
Please do more of these, that was lots of fun and it is interesting to see how we compare to ISU judges.

Oh thank you for pointing that out to me...! I was somehow thinking that on the official result page (and on the protocol too), it shows the factored average score but it actually doesn't. It shows simply the average of what the judges gave without factoring. I'll fix it :)

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Very cool! :thumbsup:

I'm doing something very similar to this on my blog soon:yay:. I posted a request for judges over at FSU last week and I've got a number of people interested in participating. I plan on just having 9 judges per event and doing past events (ladies only) but I love the way you've made it so that people can judge live events. You basically get an idea of the way the entire forum would vote.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I can only judge with a Google account? Sorry, but <-- 100 years old, so not experienced with this type of stuff sorry.

Nvm, I just saw
- You need to log in via google account (to prevent multiple responses) but neither your google account nor e-mail address will appear to the others.

Am I the only person without google account at this forum? I just don't like giving away my phone number :noshake:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I always prefer to mock judge events I don't know the official outcome of, so I don't find myself mentally second guessing the official panel, or the outraged fans, and can just focus on my own honest reaction to the skating as it happens.

Live is great; sometimes I have to watch on video after the fact but try to stay unspoiled. That's what I did for the 4Cs men.

Perdita

Final Flight
Very cool! :thumbsup:

I'm doing something very similar to this on my blog soon:yay:. I posted a request for judges over at FSU last week and I've got a number of people interested in participating. I plan on just having 9 judges per event and doing past events (ladies only) but I love the way you've made it so that people can judge live events. You basically get an idea of the way the entire forum would vote.

As I mentioned in my OP, I actually got inspired by your post on FSU... I hope you don't mind :slink: I'm looking forward to see your blog project, yours seems to incorporate a lot of insightful fans and that sounds very intriguing :)

I can only judge with a Google account? Sorry, but <-- 100 years old, so not experienced with this type of stuff sorry.

Nvm, I just saw

Am I the only person without google account at this forum? I just don't like giving away my phone number :noshake:

I'm sorry about that, I did anticipate there might be people without Google account. But this is the only way I can allow one answer per person and also allow voters to edit their answers afterward so I hope you understand. If you don't mind me knowing your votes, you can DM me your score, I'll type them in for you.

---

I'm making the result page and the protocol right now but one thing I can say... you guys are pretty harsh! I wonder if even Yuzu could break 300 if you were the judges :laugh:

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Google accounts require phone number? I have at least 6, the last one created soely for Craigslisting purposes, don't recall inputing a phone number, real or fake. But I sign up for Gmail (which is linked automatically to all things google, I believe).

Sometimes when I sign in, it will prompt me to entire phone number, but that's for account recovery... and I always just click Skip.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see the results. If this is what judging is like, then it would be difficult to skew the results to favor any particular skater. -the judges might be as surprised as the skaters to see the scores come out.

A thought about our 'hashness' in scoring. It could be because we are scoring only the last group, the best group. If we had scored 3-4 groups; seeing what a 4 in SS really means, and working up from there, maybe we'd be more generous when the last group comes on? ;)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see the results. If this is what judging is like, then it would be difficult to skew the results to favor any particular skater. -the judges might be as surprised as the skaters to see the scores come out.

Very true!

Perdita

Final Flight
Here you go!

Protocol:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...j9Lft0PyiHc/pubhtml?gid=306045089&single=true
(There's a little bug again in Google spreadsheet that the borderline is not displayed properly...) (Compare with the actual protocol)

Result Page:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9Lft0PyiHc/pubhtml?gid=1311536893&single=true
(Compare with the actual result)

I know you all know but it's for fun, it's nothing like we are right and the judges are wrong!

And again, you can vote/edit until 1st March 23:59 GMT from here (Oh I still haven't changed the planned contents to the elements that were actually performed. I'll also add videos later.). Have fun!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Here you go!

Protocol:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...j9Lft0PyiHc/pubhtml?gid=306045089&single=true
(There's a little bug again in Google spreadsheet that the borderline is not displayed properly...) (Compare with the actual protocol)

Result Page:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9Lft0PyiHc/pubhtml?gid=1311536893&single=true
(Compare with the actual result)

I know you all know but it's for fun, it's nothing like we are right and the judges are wrong!

And again, you can vote/edit until 1st March 23:59 GMT from here (Oh I still haven't changed the planned contents to the elements that were actually performed. I'll also add videos later.). Have fun!

So cool! We are very harsh indeed. No inflation from us! -Though we have Mura under Shoma in the LP. Wasn't expecting that.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Thanks, Perdita.

It seems in general Golden Skate was using a lower range than the real judges. I wonder how much of that is that everything just looks more impressive live than on video.

However, we did score Hochstein higher than the official panel, at least on technical elements. I wonder why. I will confess that I gave top GOE to his ChSq even though it wasn't his best performance of it, just because it is so well choreographed. Unconscious American bias in the sense that I (and other American posters?) can relate better to his style?