Legs/Torso Proportion | Golden Skate

Legs/Torso Proportion

soogar

Record Breaker
How can you tell if your legs or torso is long? What are the proportions on an average person verses someone with a long torso or long legs? How can you tell if your legs are too short for your body?

A while back someone said that Sasha had a long torso and I was just curious about the criteria.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
We figured this out in a Fashion class I took; I'll try my best to remember! If someone had a perfect body, the legs would make up around 2/3 of your body while the torso would be 1/3. But a lot of people have it more towards half and half; making the torso seem longer, most shorter people usually have a long torso, and taller people usually have the 2/3 and 1/3 porportion. You can kinda tell by looking at someone. Hope I could help!

kemy

Rinkside
I don't think it has anything to do with height. I just think that longer legs are more noticeable on tall people and a longer torso is more noticeable on short people. I have a short torso and longer legs an I'm short.

ice cold

Rinkside
now i feel out of place. ive been skating for ever and it kind of stunted my growth. im 5'3. but i deffinitly dont have that leg/ torso proportion. my friend was drawing my 4 a life drawing class, and he noticed (out loud) that my torso is longer then my legs. he got out his ruler, and it was 12 inch, so the numbers were off but he was right. so im the opposite of a perfect body. im 1/3 legs and 2/3 torso. how sad.

taurusskater

Match Penalty
Can you?

That can be determined fairly easily. Can you, when you are sitting with legs flat on the floor, bend and just cup your heels? You should be an akward jumper.
If you can reach 6" or more beyond your heels, I would say that you should have a pretty good chance of making an excellent skater.

Last edited:

cborsky

Rinkside
If reaching 6" past your heels makes you a good skater.... is that because you're just really flexible? If I could fold myself in half I bet I could reach well past my heels, but I'm not that flexible! My jumping ablility is pretty natural for me but I can only hold the bottoms of my feet.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
And I can't even reach my heels, but my jumping ability is pretty good for an old goat!!! :laugh:

Figureskates

On the Ice
I'm with you Yaz. Let's hear for the old goats!! :laugh:

If I sit on the floor like that there is a good chance I will never get up again, much less find my heels. :eek:

However at 58, I so very glad that I can at least do a Salchow!! :)