2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries

aa456

On the Ice
Yes, you should be able to enter after the start of the competition. Just as a courtesy to other fans and the skater on the ice, do not start down to your seat until the skater finishes and is taking bows.

Boston Worlds is a little different in one respect. Once you enter the arena you cannot leave and then return during that same competition. You can leave your seat to buy food or beverages on the concourse, but you cannot go down to North Station or anything outside of the security checkpoint and then try to return.

Tablets, ipads, kindles are all banned. TD Garden won't keep it for you so you would have to take it to your hotel. Cell phones are ok.

Food and beverages can't be taken into TD Garden (except for early practices before 11:00 a.m.).

Have a wonderful time!

What MFarone said.

Plus - please know that if you come late it is entirely possible that someone will be sitting in your seat. This is not fraud, or dishonesty, or a big deal - or even something you need an usher to resolve. Just let them know those are your seats and they will move. Many people are not given specific tickets with seats - skaters, parents, coaches etc. etc. They tend to sit in any empty seats available. Those who go to skating competitions a lot just take this in stride. Besides, it's cool if Adam Rippon's mother is in your seat - she's a very cool lady, by the way.

This is also another reason to wait at the top of the aisle until there is no skating performance on the ice before heading to your seat. You will need a minute or two to get settled and you do not want to disrupt the view/experience of others.

Yes, completely agree. Thanks!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good advice about waiting for a skater to finish before going to sit, common courtesy isn't always common.

Question, when are the skating draws posted for the short programs?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Good advice about waiting for a skater to finish before going to sit, common courtesy isn't always common.

Question, when are the skating draws posted for the short programs?

According to the schedule: http://www.isuresults.com/events/WC2016_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

The draws for the Short Dance is at 2:15 p.m. , Tuesday; Men SP at 5:30 p.m., Tuesday; Ladies SP at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday and Pairs SP at 4:30 p.m. Thursday. So I'm guess it would be posted sometime after those times.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ So not until after I arrive...guess will have to stay tuned to the SM then for news!

charmblade

Final Flight
Yes, you should be able to enter after the start of the competition. Just as a courtesy to other fans and the skater on the ice, do not start down to your seat until the skater finishes and is taking bows.

Boston Worlds is a little different in one respect. Once you enter the arena you cannot leave and then return during that same competition. You can leave your seat to buy food or beverages on the concourse, but you cannot go down to North Station or anything outside of the security checkpoint and then try to return.

Tablets, ipads, kindles are all banned. TD Garden won't keep it for you so you would have to take it to your hotel. Cell phones are ok.

Food and beverages can't be taken into TD Garden (except for early practices before 11:00 a.m.).

Have a wonderful time!

Do you know for sure that Kindles are banned? They are not tablets, can't record, take pictures, etc. and the policy does not specifically mention them. I've actually emailed the LOC to ask about kindles but haven't received a reply yet.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Kindle Paperwhite and ereaders can't do the things you mention but the Kindle Fire tablets usually also called Kindles can record and take pictures. A poster on FSU received a reply that Kindles are banned. The poster on FSU has a Kindle ereader, but it doesn't matter.

Please post your reply from the LOC so we all have the latest info.

Do you know for sure that Kindles are banned? They are not tablets, can't record, take pictures, etc. and the policy does not specifically mention them. I've actually emailed the LOC to ask about kindles but haven't received a reply yet.

charmblade

Final Flight
The Kindle Paperwhite and ereaders can't do the things you mention but the Kindle Fire tablets usually also called Kindles can record and take pictures. A poster on FSU received a reply that Kindles are banned. The poster on FSU has a Kindle ereader, but it doesn't matter.

Please post your reply from the LOC so we all have the latest info.

Thanks for the info from FSU. I have a Kindle Paperwhite which can only be used as an e-reader. After seeing your post I contacted the Worlds 2016 Facebook page and almost immediately got a reply back saying "Hello. We kindly ask spectators to not bring any kind of tablets. They may interfere with the enjoyment of other fans."

So apparently we aren't supposed to bring them, which i find super frustrating. If I plan to be at the arena all day, it would be really nice to have a book for down times. I could just bring a paperback book, but I don't know that i can fit one inside my "normal-sized women's handbag" that is all we are allowed to bring in. And whipping out an actual book is basically the exact same thing as using my Kindle. I kind of get where they are coming from with this policy but this is super obnoxious and inconvenient. I could interfere with other people's enjoyment about a thousand times easier with my phone than with my Kindle. :hslap:

ETA: Ok, ugh, just put the Kindle app on my phone. I guess it's an acceptable work-around. I'm probably more annoyed than I should be about this but I really want something to do in between events or during ice resurfaces.

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
Why are tablets, kindles etc. fobidden? They can't do anthing a cell phone can't and have a touchpad - therefore are silent while tiping...
And I don't understand the 'interefere with other spectator's enjoyment' part. How? Also, as a niche sport, I think the organizers should be happy about every photo/video of this event on the net.. And it's not like once they allow kindles, that everyone will bring ther kindles to record the competition... I've been looking for practice videos the whole day, but I there're only occacional clips here and there :cry: I'd love to see more ...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why are tablets, kindles etc. fobidden? They can't do anthing a cell phone can't and have a touchpad - therefore are silent while tiping...
And I don't understand the 'interefere with other spectator's enjoyment' part. How? Also, as a niche sport, I think the organizers should be happy about every photo/video of this event on the net.. And it's not like once they allow kindles, that everyone will bring ther kindles to record the competition... I've been looking for practice videos the whole day, but I there're only occacional clips here and there :cry: I'd love to see more ...

I think because some tossers hold their iPads and suchlike up high to record, blocking the people behind's view.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well I probably shouldn't even post this, but posters on FSU are saying they are seeing lots of people with tablets in the arena. Don't know if this will continue when competition starts on Wednesday or whether security will turn away fans with tablets.

I hate rules that aren't rules :scowl: and guidelines that continually change.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I've seen tablets everywhere the past couple days. I'm sure security will tighten once the competition begins on Wednesday. As with most cases, I think your luck may depend on who's screening you and what they choose to allow at that time.

winky97

Medalist
Well I probably shouldn't even post this, but posters on FSU are saying they are seeing lots of people with tablets in the arena. Don't know if this will continue when competition starts on Wednesday or whether security will turn away fans with tablets.

I hate rules that aren't rules :scowl: and guidelines that continually change.

I noticed a bunch of tablets too during practice. Honestly I would be afraid to chance it because it would be my luck I would be the one turned away

nguyhm

On the Ice
Rules changed on the fly every day.
Apparently the rules must have changed. I saw people with tablets around me then yesterday as I was going through security for the ladies' free, a guy in front of me had a tablet, they made him open it, slid to open his screen then let him bring it in. I don't know what they were screening for but I wish I knew since I could have brought mine in :bang:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Rules changed on the fly every day.

They seemed to become progressively more lax. The first day, I actually got frisked. By the final two days, they just waved me through and were already focusing at the next person in line behind me.

Seemed to depend a little on which entrance you used, too. If you took the luxury club or mobile ticketing entrance, they were always woefully understaffed and hurried to get people through, so they never seemed to look at people very closely.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had no issues bringing in my sealed water bottle (and some packaged snacks) but it was not in the main compartment of my handbag where they would look. I had a few guards use flashlights to look inside the main compartment and others did a quick glance. I only bought the $4.50 Dasani on my first night there, lol.

I saw people with tablets including a Canadian group near me who were videoing some of the Canadian skaters during the competition. Nobody said anything to them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
LOL on the water bottle thing! I felt like I was smuggling booze or something.

Funny story: I had "smuggled" a $1.27 bottle of water in my purse and it was under a scarf. I went to the line and the person who searched my bag asked to remove my scarf, I thought I would have to give back the water. But nope, he just let me through.

Heck during the men's FS, I had an open bottled water bottle I forgot to toss and they still let me in!

Karne also managed to smuggle all her candy, clearly. :)