2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds, General Info & Entries

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
After North Korea threatened (again and again) USA of nuclear attack, I'm not sure that a north korean pair would be welcome in Boston ^^

I think it would be more than the North Korean dictatorship would not permit them to go...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Liam's reason for WD seems really vague....is it possible that he was encouraged to reconsider participating in Worlds?

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My first reaction was, "Augh!!!! If only Kevin got the SP minimum in either the 4CC or Sportsland Trophy....:bang:" But then I saw Nam is replacing Liam, and I was like, "Okay, I'm fine with Nam replacing Liam. Cause he and Patrick together can get the third spot back." But still.....if only.....it could have been the first time I see Kevin compete in real life....oh well. Got to wait for next season. *whimper...*

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Liam's reason for WD seems really vague....is it possible that Skate Canada decided to go with Nam?

I suspect he was strongly encouraged. I am going to politely assume that Liam decided he has a better chance of going to worlds next year with this team, and better chance to place higher next year than this year.

That being said.... why do these countries insist on announcing the teams so early... and why would they do this only a few days after the "official" list? Just seems odd to me.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Liam's reason for WD seems really vague....is it possible that he was encouraged to reconsider participating in Worlds?

It confuses me! If it is because of getting three spots that Liam WD so Nam could go, why wasn't the decision made when the World team was first announced? I was under the impression getting spots wasn't a goal for Canada since Liam was named to the team. What changed?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Liam's reason for WD seems really vague....is it possible that Skate Canada decided to go with Nam?

Only my speculation, but I do worry very much that Skate Canada forced Liam to withdraw. He previously had expressed great excitement (understandably so) that he would be going to Worlds for the first time.

Thus my many tears.

If Skate Canada were going to insist on Nam (or Kevin, if he had gotten the TES) anyway, I wish it had had the decency not to name Liam to the world team in the first place (a lesser evil, IMO).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only my speculation, but I do worry very much that Skate Canada forced Liam to withdraw. He previously had expressed great excitement (understandably so) that he would be going to Worlds for the first time.

Thus my many tears.

If Skate Canada were going to insist on Nam (or Kevin, if he had gotten the TES) anyway, I wish it had had the decency not to name Liam to the world team in the first place (a lesser evil, IMO).

Yeah. While I wish Kevin had the TES minimum for the SP and was on the Worlds list instead, I can't help but feel very bad for Liam.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The second I read Liam's statement I said, "He didn't jump, he was pushed." And that really bloody stinks that Skate Canada didn't have the balls to do the thing properly.

liv

Record Breaker
He certainly could have hidden it all away by saying he had suffered some injury.... this way certainly makes it look like he was "encouraged" to withdraw.

While I always thought Nam had a better chance to do well internationally, SC named Liam and I don"t like that it seems like he was pushed out... they should have said at the time that they would make the decision later instead of making it look so unkind with just weeks to go. Hope Nam is more like his old self and he and Patrick can get the 3 spots they would like.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I suspect he was strongly encouraged. I am going to politely assume that Liam decided he has a better chance of going to worlds next year with this team, and better chance to place higher next year than this year.

That being said.... why do these countries insist on announcing the teams so early... and why would they do this only a few days after the "official" list? Just seems odd to me.

But .... as someone who thinks highly of Liam, I do not think it can be assumed that he will place third at 2017 Nats.

Chan, Nguyen, Reynolds easily could be the top three. And even if they aren't, Balde, Messing, Sadovsky, Nadeau all will be jockeying for placements along with Liam. (And I'm probably forgetting others.)

So Liam cannot count on being assigned to the third slot for 2017 Worlds -- except in the unlikely (IMO) event that Skate Canada has given him private assurances that it will give him the third slot no matter what.

I wish Nam well at Worlds, but I am very upset for Liam. (Not mad at you, Stitch. Just very upset for Liam.)

He certainly could have hidden it all away by saying he had suffered some injury.... this way certainly makes it look like he was "encouraged" to withdraw. ...

I am glad that your post as a whole is supportive of Liam, but why the heck should a skater even consider pretending to have an injury in order to protect Skate Canada from appearing to have reneged on an assignment?

Liam did nothing wrong, so why should he get his hands dirty taking part in a cover-up?

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I certainly do not think he should have, it's just that in so many sports, over so many years, the official line is that athletes 'suddenly get injured' so teammates can take their places. It is just so common that I noticed he hadn't done so. Nothing negative meant by the comment.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
ref: General info. I just got an email from Boston that fine tunes the food policy in the FAQs. Are they now NOT allowing one to bring in their own bottled water?
"Guests may not bring food or beverages into TD Garden during events or practice sessions, except that tea, coffee and small breakfast items will be allowed until 11am. Guest Service Centers will not check-in or store any food or beverage items. Guests with specific/special dietary needs due to medical conditions or religious requirements should contact the TD Garden at 617-624-1331 or send an email to [email protected]. A select group of TD Garden concession stands will be open during practice sessions, beginning with lunch service at 11:00 am. TD Garden has made special arrangements for additional menu items to be available during these times, including soups, salads and sandwiches. For a full listing of the concessions that will be open during competitions at TD Garden, please visit www.tdgarden.com/the-garden/concessions/." I cant remember if there are drinking fountains.....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The drinking fountains are near (or in) the first aid station.
According to the TD Garden website: First Aid The First Aid office is located on Level 4 across from Section 15/16.

ref: General info. I just got an email from Boston that fine tunes the food policy in the FAQs. Are they now NOT allowing one to bring in their own bottled water?
"Guests may not bring food or beverages into TD Garden during events or practice sessions, except that tea, coffee and small breakfast items will be allowed until 11am. Guest Service Centers will not check-in or store any food or beverage items. Guests with specific/special dietary needs due to medical conditions or religious requirements should contact the TD Garden at 617-624-1331 or send an email to [email protected]. A select group of TD Garden concession stands will be open during practice sessions, beginning with lunch service at 11:00 am. TD Garden has made special arrangements for additional menu items to be available during these times, including soups, salads and sandwiches. For a full listing of the concessions that will be open during competitions at TD Garden, please visit www.tdgarden.com/the-garden/concessions/." I cant remember if there are drinking fountains.....

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
The drinking fountains are near (or in) the first aid station.
According to the TD Garden website: First Aid The First Aid office is located on Level 4 across from Section 15/16.

Thanks for the infor.
Are we allowed to bring our own empty water bottle?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry, I don't know. The question has been asked of the LOC, but I haven't seen an answer. Maybe something will be decided this week.

Thanks for the infor.
Are we allowed to bring our own empty water bottle?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
"Guests may not bring food or beverages into TD Garden during events or practice sessions, except that tea, coffee and small breakfast items will be allowed until 11am."

Great news here! Not being able to bring in coffee first thing in the morning has been killiingg meeee. :coffee: