2016 Junior Worlds Mens Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2016 Junior Worlds Mens Free Skate

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
To give credit where credit is due, all the best men in the world and their coaches are in Canada, just as the best ladies and their coaches are currently in Russia.

Outside of The Cricket Club, I don't think the other Canadian coaches are anything special at all. And Shoma, Boyang, & many other talented skaters do not live or train in Canada. Denis Ten only has maybe 2-3 good competitions a year, so I think it's laughable to say that Carroll is doing wonders for him (and Murakami is just ok, results-wise, not really any better than the Russian guys).

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Outside of The Cricket Club, I don't think the other Canadian coaches are anything special at all. And Shoma, Boyang, & many other talented skaters do not live or train in Canada. Denis Ten only has maybe 2-3 good competitions a year, so I think it's laughable to say that Carroll is doing wonders for him (and Murakami is just ok, results-wise, not really any better than the Russian guys).

Yes. Outside of Brian and Tracy/TCC, no one is going to Canada. Lol

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think anyone -- or any region -- has a corner or magic formula for making champions. The results are what they are. Daniel, Nicholas and Tomoki seized an opportunity and the rest didn't do as well as they would have liked. It's really that simple.

TMC

Record Breaker
Who else besides me is still over-the-moon about the FP yesterday?

I'm still in awe of Nadeau's free! I noticed him during the jgp as a skater to keep an eye on, but he totally won me over here. I feel like this is the beginning of a beautiful fanship :biggrin:

peg

Medalist
I'm still in awe of Nadeau's free! I noticed him during the jgp as a skater to keep an eye on, but he totally won me over here. I feel like this is the beginning of a beautiful fanship :biggrin:

He's really had a breakout year, hasn't he? Especially considering where he was a year ago.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
WOW, just look at the change of placement between SP and FP. Most guys climbed or dropped up/down to more than 5 places.:eeking: A junior competition indeed.

1 Daniel SAMOHIN 236.65 9 1
2 Nicolas NADEAU 224.76 8 2
3 Tomoki HIWATASHI 222.52 6 3
4 Alexander SAMARIN222.11 2 5
5 Vincent ZHOU 221.19 4 4
6 Dmitri ALIEV 211.18 1 7
7 Jun Hwan CHA 207.11 7 6
8 Deniss VASILJEVS 204.75 3 9
9 Kevin AYMOZ 197.76 5 11
10 He ZHANG 195.70 10 10
11 Yaroslav PANIOT 189.50 15 8
12 Shu NAKAMURA 186.22 12 13
13 Matteo RIZZO 182.96 11 17
14 Roman SAVOSIN 181.65 13 14
15 Kazuki TOMONO 179.61 20 12

Love it! This right here is the best part about COP vs the old ordinals system. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Samarin had one clean jump--a hand down here, a step out there. He usually has a good SP and a not-so-good FS, that's the way it's been in the JGP and that's the way it was here, but he was gifted with his score while Aliev was not. I guess it was because Samarin was the last Russian skater.

The difference is that Samarin rotated most of his jumps while Aliev had lots of pops. Triples with -GOE are worth more than doubles. It was the same story when Pogorilaya won bronze at JW a few years ago, her skate was messy but she rotated all her jumps while Cesario did not. Samarin beat Aliev in FS because of BV, Aliev gave up so many points with pops.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Look at Samohin and how he performed at Euros.
Look at Deniss and how he performed at JW.
Look at Shoma and how he performed at 4CC.
Look at Yuzu and how he performed at the Nats.
I mean, look at Yuzu and Patrick and how they performed at Sochi.
Then, look at Nathan, Dima, Sota, Samohin, Vince and Roman and how they performed at JGPF.

I'm not very familiar with hiphop but will this make a good rap?? :dance3:
Because this is all I can offer to a defeatist like you.

This is a good point. Most junior male skaters aren't super consistent, which is understandable because most of them are growing really fast.

Danny had a fabulous FS at JW but at Euros it was just okay and at the JGPF it was not good at all. Deniss skated very well in the FS at YOG (in both the individual and team events) but then struggled quite a bit in the FS at JW. Aliev has been hot and cold for most of the season, but he skated very well at Nationals which shows he doesn't always fall apart in the FS. Nadeau was pretty good at Canadian Nationals but his FS at JW was even better. Tomoki's scores at the US Nationals were way lower than at JW.

I was glad to see the results of JW reflected what was put out on the ice at the competition as opposed to reputation and suspicious PCS. I wouldn't be too smug or gloomy about any one junior man's future vs another. There was most certainly a high level of talent at these JW and that's probably part of the reason the ordinals were so all over the place.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The difference is that Samarin rotated most of his jumps while Aliev had lots of pops. Triples with -GOE are worth more than doubles. It was the same story when Pogorilaya won bronze at JW a few years ago, her skate was messy but she rotated all her jumps while Cesario did not. Samarin beat Aliev in FS because of BV, Aliev gave up so many points with pops.

Aliev ad-libbed his way through the FS---it was nothing at all like his planned layout. He did exactly what Kovtun does when he makes a major mistake and then panics: the program goes out of his head and he just strings together jumps and spins as they come to him.

Samarin had an attack of nerves, too, but it showed as rough landings and sloppy skating. IMO, his PCS scores were too high for the off-kilter performance he gave. There was no hint of character or interpretation in what he did (Pearl Harbor?!), yet he received a higher IN score than Zhou, who did interpret The Godfather.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Aliev ad-libbed his way through the FS---it was nothing at all like his planned layout. He did exactly what Kovtun does when he makes a major mistake and then panics: the program goes out of his head and he just strings together jumps and spins as they come to him.

Samarin had an attack of nerves, too, but it showed as rough landings and sloppy skating. IMO, his PCS scores were too high for the off-kilter performance he gave. There was no hint of character or interpretation in what he did (Pearl Harbor?!), yet he received a higher IN score than Zhou, who did interpret The Godfather.

I think skating so late in the warmup group helped Samarin's PCS TBH. Aliev skated early in the warmup right after a couple of great skates in the penultimate group. Aliev was marked pretty harshly and the judges did the same thing to Deniss (his skate wasn't that good but I didn't think he deserved 3 URs either), then after those two the guys started skating better and the marks seemed to get more generous. I will agree that most of the men didn't have their PCS dinged for technical errors though, Aliev seemed to be the only one and maybe to a lesser extent Deniss. I still don't think Aliev deserved to make the podium after his FS, but I think 4th or 5th place would have been fair as opposed to a distant 6th place. Realistically I would have had Vincent 4th, Aliev 5th and Samarin 6th.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I have loved Nicolas' program since I first saw it in January. Not surprising Shaelynn Bourne is his choreographer. Her work is incredible and brings out the best of both technique and presentation, which assisted in moving Nicolas from a placement of 25th last year to a well deserved, Silver. Well done!