2016 Junior Worlds Ladies Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2016 Junior Worlds Ladies Short Program

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cat Girl in first! I noticed her in Russian Nationals. She is one to watch.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Your attempts at clouding the facts will not sway me. Justice is coming, Sotskova-style! :dev2:
"Clouding the facts" :scratch2: :confused:?? You better go and look up Sotskova's Grand Prix results, and you'll see that she was not first in the SP even once, including both GP events which she won in the end. Or did you think I was saying that she did not win overall with this SP? If so, you misunderstood me. I wanted to say only that she was never first in the SP this season. Plus, I really like her and wish her all the best in the FS.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wow 1/2nd amazing..

Congrats Marin! Ace!!!

Come on Wakababy!!!

Hey Amy Lin made the final :D

I must say 11th for Maisy is an AMAZING result! Congradulations!! :)
Ha Nul KIM is not far behind either. Come on young Koreans!

Last edited:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I made a very poor translation of the song with no poetry but it tells the story of the song. The story is quite sad. I wonder if Ivett Toth knows it ;)

There's a tiny cottage in the island of lake Saimaa
Nestori Miikkulainen is sitting on the stairs
He is playing the harmonica
And the seal is surfacing with a splash

He swam towards the player below a wave
The melody is more than familiar to him
Song tells what is to stay alone
The seal understands it very well

They never danced Nestori's wedding
The world took away his fiancee
The old guys with a mustache
The man and the seal are both

There's a little cottage in the island of Saimaa
Life-companion didn't want to come there
Nestori stayed alone like the seal
The destiny took also his mate

Big Saimaa but there are only one hundred seal
Soon there will be no one left
Miikkulainen is playing the harmonica
He understands the yearning

There's a tiny cottage in the island of Saimaa
Nestori Miikkulainen is sitting on the stairs
The old seal is resting on his rock
And he is looking his friend and he understands

Big Saimaa but it's not possible
To find a woman from its shores
to live in this windy island

Like the seal also Miikkulainen
is forced to be
The last of their families

Thank you for the translation.
:eek:topic: :eek:topic:
I have a question: I understand from the lyrics than the man and the seal are both alone, without a spouse/mate. Is it only a parallel or is it a version of the Icelandic, Irish and Scottish tale of the selkie (woman/seal who marries a human but then goes back to the sea?), and the seal is supposed to have been the man's selkie-wife?

Last edited:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Congrats to all the ladies who made it to FS! Special thank you to Sarah Tamura for keeping the hope alive for Canadian junior ladies! :hap10:

Personally I think Maria Sotskova was superior today and deserve to be in the lead with a slight margin. :points: I am sure she will come back stronger in FS.

Kitty was amazing as well - she's a real cutie and you can't help but smile when she skates. :love: I can't believe she's 14 - she's already so mature in her style.

Marin is such a delicate spring flower. :thank: Her skate was really inspiring but I think she should be third here - her presentation and interpretation are really juniorish and while she's adorable and the skate was wonderful, I don't think she was on par with Maria and Alisa.

But good luck to all the ladies in the free. Finally work week is over and I will be watching live!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Another entertaining competition.

The top 3 have a bit of a gap to the rest of the field. Personally I would have Sotskova in first, it was a very mature, sophisticated performance that would easily hold its own in the Senior Ranks. I would have her first in PCS but since she missed some levels it did impact on the TES. I really like Alisa, again another great performer, she really sold the story well and her jumps were spot on today. I did enjoy Honda but compared to the two Russian girls she was very juniorish in her style, I would have 3rd but with a gap to the two Russians.

Others I enjoyed were Bradie Tennell, Kuchvalska, Galustyan and Gozhva. Tursynbaeva was very harshly marked with all her deductions particularly since it a medical related break, funny thing was after she got back skating I though she looked much more relaxed and skated very freely. One skater I was disappointed with was Ukolova, hard to believe that in 2014 she was skating the Free in Sochi and not she can't get out of the short in Juniors? Has she had a growth spurt or something.

Hopefully the Ladies skate a better free than the men tomorrow.

Sam L

Medalist
Great top three. I agree that Maria was underscored. I hope she takes this opportunity to take to win the title.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a question: I understand from the lyrics than the man and the seal are both alone, without a spouse/mate. Is it only a parallel or is it a version of the Icelandic, Irish and Scottish tale of the selkie (woman/seal who marries a human but then goes back to the sea?), and the seal is supposed to have been the man's selkie-wife?

I was thinking the same thing. The seal seems to be referred to in the masculine, but in the original language, might it be more ambiguous? (You can tell I'm somewhat literal.) I like thinking that the song does suggest the legend. And taking the legend a step further, the selkie-wife felt compelled to return to the sea and her true form, but she wanted the companionship of her lover. A lovely metaphor about duality of feeling.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally I would have Sotskova in first, it was a very mature, sophisticated performance that would easily hold its own in the Senior Ranks. I

I was only able to watch the two Russians. I have the opposite opinion. I prefer Alisa's skate and her style; and it does seem clear that it's a matter of personal preference. One of the things that made the two skaters so interesting to watch is that their styles in these programs are polar opposites. The free skates will be interesting.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good for Alisa!!! I love her programs so much this year :eek::

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So am I really sad. With her season's best she would have been 11th. Maybe she felt too much pressure as there were so many competitors. And this is only her second big event. Maybe there will be less pressure in the Worlds in Boston as if she fails it doesn't matter as much. Finland won't get many Jgp spots now. Does anyone know how many jgp spots a country will get if their skater did not qualify for the FS in Junior Worlds? I lost interest in this competition. It won't be even fun to watch FS as there is nothing to hope for.

I've also noticed that many times Finnish skaters fail if they have to skate first after the warm-up. Some said they felt unsure in the warm-up and did not have time to shake that off and feel sure again.

Same thing happened to Matilda Algotsson SWE(also her second big event); her personal best would have gotten her to the final. BUT of course it’s what they do here and now that counts. Probably nerves got in their way; and big disappointments for them. It’s a huge pressure on them as they are selected to compete, not only for themselves, but also for their team mates. Sad because both Finland and Sweden have many great up and coming girls at home. I’m sure they will be sent to B competitions though. And for Viveca to go to senior worlds must be thrilling.

Now cheers for our Nordic skater who coped! GO Juni Marie :clap:

Here Chemistry66 explains the distribution of Junior spots next season.

If ladies are the same as men it means 1 Entries in 4 Events for Finland and Sweden.

Last edited:

ordinary person

On the Ice
Omg..i was really hoping Wakaba was going to nail it..:sad21: , somebody really needs to tell her to finish her Bielmann spin bcause it does mean more points..

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Tursynbaeva was very harshly marked with all her deductions particularly since it a medical related break, funny thing was after she got back skating I though she looked much more relaxed and skated very freely.

i was worried that she was too nervous to continue after her music started 2nd time but she was amazing :luv17: she delivered rest of the program flawlessly , as song says "look at what i've got" she showed how strong she is mentally , so proud of her!! and i love the new twizzles at her stsq, so fun :love:

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice

:eek:topic: continues...

This is very interesting thought! But I still don't think it's parallel to that tale. As I wrote earlier, the name has two meanings in Finnish. "Vanha poika" - written separately means "Old guy" and "Vanhapoika" - written together means a bachelor who is clearly past normal marrying age. That's why I think it's just a story about two lonely guys.

Saimaa ringed seal was even more rare in 60's and 70's because people hunted it (nowadays it's strictly prohibited). There were only 120-150 individuals left. Juha Vainio composed this song and it helped people to change their attitudes. Here is a short article about the song in English.

Country
Russia
Chemistry's question was what happens if there are two skaters and both make the FS, but one of them doesn't do the FS because they WD...so would that injured skater get 16 points and the other skater has to finish in top 12?

As I understand Rule 378.

May be two cases.
1. Skater who WD has 16 points (because of qualifying to FS), and 12th place is enough for two spots.
2. If skater who WD was at top ten in SP, this skater may be treated as not participating (if WD by medical reasons), and if non-WD skater is 1st or 2nd - 3 spots.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Your countrywoman has a new fan here!

I LOVED everything about that routine! The skater, the skating, all the music, the dress. Everything was beautiful.

Such a pity about the fall!

She was such a happy sort of a character when waiting for her scores, and the reaction to them when they came up was priceless!

But, she soon went back to happy mode! :biggrin:

I hope to see you a lot more in years to come, Elif!

CaroLiza_fan

I only noticed there now that the total number of "Likes" I have received has passed the 1,000 mark since the last time I looked at the list. And, counting back, the 1,000[SUP]th[/SUP] "Like" was for the comment I posted about Elif Erdem.

So, thank you to matmuh for giving me the 1,000[SUP]th[/SUP] "Like" that I have received since the thumbs feature was installed!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I only noticed there now that the total number of "Likes" I have received has passed the 1,000 mark since the last time I looked at the list. And, counting back, the 1,000[SUP]th[/SUP] "Like" was for the comment I posted about Elif Erdem.

So, thank you to matmuh for giving me the 1,000[SUP]th[/SUP] "Like" that I have received since the thumbs feature was installed!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

you are welcome!! :dance3: and its a nice coincidence that the post was about Turkish skater :biggrin: