2016 Worlds Short Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Short Dance

tulosai

Record Breaker
Starting Order is up!

I know it's all purely based on World ranking, but every year, there are at least a few couples/people where I sit there astounded that they are in the group they're in when I see who is above/below them.

Best of luck to all!

Giselle

Medalist
There are strong skaters in all Warm-Up Groups!

PARADIS/OUELLETTE and TOBIAS/TKACHENKO in the 1st group, SINITSINA/KATSALAPOV in the 2nd, MURAMOTO/REED and LORENZ/POLIZOAKIS in the 3rd (Just realized GARABEDIAN/PROULX-SENECAL got their Worlds tech score after all!), TESTA/CSOLLEY & NAZAROVA/NIKITIN & FOURNIER-BEAUDRY/SORENSEN in group 4.
Last 2 groups are obviously great. A bit disapointed for Hubbell/Donohue, I wished they skated a bit later in the group. The order of the last group is perfect for me!

Can't wait for tomorrow!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol....Well I'll probably skip watching it cause I'll be in class, then going home, do a lab report that's due Thursday, and then do even more studying for my biodiversity test which I'm studying by botty off for.

But I'll follow the live results....

caitie

Medalist
I wish the Shibs had drawn a little later in the final group, after at least one of the other favorites.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I wish the Shibs had drawn a little later in the final group, after at least one of the other favorites.

Yes in all honesty it's the worst possible draw for them but there's nothing to be done except for to skate their best, which I'm sure was their goal anyway. The crowd will also be helpful I'm sure :)

katha

On the Ice
I know it's all purely based on World ranking, but every year, there are at least a few couples/people where I sit there astounded that they are in the group they're in when I see who is above/below them.

Best of luck to all!
It's the structure of the seeding system that necessarily disadvantages new pairs and/or pairs who come back from injury. There's no way around that. But I feel that the judges are aware of that and IMO this season it was never a big deal. Like Tobias/Tkachenko and Sinitsina/Katsalapov (or Bobrova/Soloviev in the Grand Prix) skating earlier didn't seem to make a difference, or if it lowered their scores, then not by much. Which I do think is an achievement of the new judging system to some degree. Had to laugh about the ISU account congratulating P/O on skating first and how it's lucky or something, though. LOL, let's not exaggerate.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Last year even though P/C skated last they still only ended 4th (deserved better IMO). I think for the SD it does not matter as much as for the FD.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are strong skaters in all Warm-Up Groups!

PARADIS/OUELLETTE and TOBIAS/TKACHENKO in the 1st group, SINITSINA/KATSALAPOV in the 2nd, MURAMOTO/REED and LORENZ/POLIZOAKIS in the 3rd (Just realized GARABEDIAN/PROULX-SENECAL got their Worlds tech score after all!), TESTA/CSOLLEY & NAZAROVA/NIKITIN & FOURNIER-BEAUDRY/SORENSEN in group 4.
Last 2 groups are obviously great. A bit disapointed for Hubbell/Donohue, I wished they skated a bit later in the group. The order of the last group is perfect for me!

Can't wait for tomorrow!

That last group is chock full of goodness.<p>

Incredibly strong group, pretty equally matched. All sorts of possibilities. Normally, skating later is best, but if Shibs come out with all L4, it is going to put incredible pressure on the rest.

TMC

Record Breaker
That last group is chock full of goodness.<p>

Incredibly strong group, pretty equally matched. All sorts of possibilities. Normally, skating later is best, but if Shibs come out with all L4, it is going to put incredible pressure on the rest.

Good point!

andromache

Record Breaker
Last year even though P/C skated last they still only ended 4th (deserved better IMO). I think for the SD it does not matter as much as for the FD.

Yup. I actually don't think SD placements will determine final placements here (unlike GPF). Shibs and P/C have SUCH strong free dances, so if they're a few points down after the SD, they'll make those points up in the FD, just like P/C did last year.

Giselle

Medalist
It's the structure of the seeding system that necessarily disadvantages new pairs and/or pairs who come back from injury. There's no way around that. But I feel that the judges are aware of that and IMO this season it was never a big deal. Like Tobias/Tkachenko and Sinitsina/Katsalapov (or Bobrova/Soloviev in the Grand Prix) skating earlier didn't seem to make a difference, or if it lowered their scores, then not by much. Which I do think is an achievement of the new judging system to some degree. Had to laugh about the ISU account congratulating P/O on skating first and how it's lucky or something, though. LOL, let's not exaggerate.

I think they'll be fine! I took it as a joke ;) .

I liked the tweet from the Worlds2016 account.
And IIRC in 2007 Virtue & Moir skated 1st in the CD when they made their Sr. World debut :cool:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I can't wait! Especially now that I know I won't have to miss much. :yahoo: turns out an hour and 15 minutes is nothing when there are multiple ice resurfacings. :laugh:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm actually legitimately confused about this seeded draw- I thought it looked really funny, and I've looked at it in more detail and I just don't get it. It is supposed to be based off of THIS list, isn't it???? http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm

If so something isn't right. For example, how are Tina GARABEDIAN / Simon PROULX-SENECAL (ranked 71) 2 groups ahead of Agafonova and Ucar (ranked 28). Similarly Sinitsina and Katsalopov are ranked 25 now but are in the second group. Everyone in warm up groups 3 are worse on the list than Agafonova/Ucar and Sinitsina/Katsalopov (and in fact some teams in the 90's are in that group, 2 groups later than Agafonova and Ucar). So why are these two couples stuck in earlier groups than they should be? I hope someone complains about this and it's remedied.

tulosai

Record Breaker
On further analysis, I legitimately believe warm up groups 3 and 1 have been switched. What is now warm up group 3 should be warm up group 1, warm up group 1 should be warm up group 2, and warm up group 2 should be warm up group 3.

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
I'm actually legitimately confused about this seeded draw- I thought it looked really funny, and I've looked at it in more detail and I just don't get it. It is supposed to be based off of THIS list, isn't it???? http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm

If so something isn't right. For example, how are Tina GARABEDIAN / Simon PROULX-SENECAL (ranked 71) 2 groups ahead of Agafonova and Ucar (ranked 28). Similarly Sinitsina and Katsalopov are ranked 25 now but are in the second group. Everyone in warm up groups 3 are worse on the list than Agafonova/Ucar and Sinitsina/Katsalopov (and in fact some teams in the 90's are in that group, 2 groups later than Agafonova and Ucar). So why are these two couples stuck in earlier groups than they should be? I hope someone complains about this and it's remedied.
Far as I understand it, those are just the quirks of the seeding system. Only the first half (? I think that's how it works?) of the field, so the first 15 couples in the world standings here, get slotted into the later three groups. Everyone who falls out of those first 15 just draws at random for the first three groups. So A/U, P/O and S/K just had the misfortune of barely missing the cut-off for the seeded later groups and had to take their chances. SinKats fared comparatively well with their late start in the second group ;), look at P/O (ranked 27) skating first and A/U also in the first group. It's a bit inconsistent IMO, since if you introduce seeding, why not do it consistently for all competing pairs? But it is what it is.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

And how it should be. After all, one of the stated purposes of the COP was that each team is supposed to be judged individually, not in comparison with other couples. Of course the reality is not quite up to that standard, but a boy can dream!

Tough draw for the US.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Far as I understand it, those are just the quirks of the seeding system. Only the first half (? I think that's how it works?) of the field, so the first 15 couples in the world standings here, get slotted into the later three groups. Everyone who falls out of those first 15 just draws at random for the first three groups. So A/U, P/O and S/K just had the misfortune of barely missing the cut-off for the seeded later groups and had to take their chances. SinKats fared comparatively well with their late start in the second group ;), look at P/O (ranked 27) skating first and A/U also in the first group. It's a bit inconsistent IMO, since if you introduce seeding, why not do it consistently for all competing pairs? But it is what it is.

Oh wow I did not realize that. Honestly I think it's very unfair- it isn't like it would really be harder to separate out the last 3 groups too- it might take them what, an extra 2 minutes? I guess maybe it is to encourage people to come for the whole event but still, what a slap in the face if you are a person who is close to the top 3 groups and you end up skating first instead.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Can I just say what a Good Thing it is that so many more posters are interested in the Dance competition than when I first started posting? The event hasn't even started and we're already on page 3 of posts. It does my uber dance heart good.

:)