Which music do you wish would never be used again? | Golden Skate

Which music do you wish would never be used again?

Which music do you wish would never be used again?

• West Side Story

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Carmen

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Swan Lake

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • Don Quixote

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Nessum Dorma

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Malaguena

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Bolero

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • other

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters

Eliza

Rinkside
Which pieces of music make you think "Oh, no, not THAT again!"?

West Side Story - I don't like the music & have never seen a perfornance of it that I really liked.

Carmen - I like the music, but I'm just tired of it.

Swan Lake - too may atrocious costumes

Don Quixote - Who's going to do better than John Curry?

Nessum Dorma - Who' s going to do better than the Chinese pair?

Malaguena - I still like it, but others may be sick of it

Bolero - Who can hear this & not think of T&D. I though Abt's version of it was weird, & EP's SP a few years ago just boring.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how about all of the above? :laugh: wow this one is tough... I'll have to think about this one ;)

kasia16

On the Ice
Definitely Tosca. I never liked this piece of music and after Michelle's last season program I can't even listen it.
Many of us remember Irina's Tosca as best and I think M.K. didn't choose well this time.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I don't mind so-called overused music. I'd hate to think I wouldn't have seen Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot at Worlds, Sasha Cohen's Malaguena, Ilia Klimkin's Swan Lake or Sasha' Cohen's Campbells version of Swan Lake as well, just because other skaters had used that music before.

soogar

Record Breaker
I chose West Side Story but Carmen is a close second b/c everytime I hear Carmen, I think of Kat Witt. Her Carmen was the definative Carmen for me.

As for Don Quixote, I didn't care for John Curry's version but I loved Viktor Petrenko's version of Don Quixote.

I demand an automtic 1.0 deduction from the total CoP schore if a skater is on the ice to any of the above mentioned tunes.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why wasn't "ALL OF THE ABOVE" an option?

They should all be consigned to musical limbo. PLEASE!!!!

ice_magick

Rinkside
I remember watching an episode of Evening with Champions one night and seeing no less than four.
Sarah Hughes
Takeshi Honda
Scott Hamilton
Lyudmila & Oleg Protopopov

and then coming in the next day to the rink, complaining about it the next day to my friend Masha, and HEARING THAT HER SISTER WATED TO USE IT FOR AN INTERMEDIATE LADIES FREE SKATE!

So yeah, that kinda turned me off to that music.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I voted "other". I'm tired of the Turandot's and Tosca's. They are wonderful pieces but I think that they are/were being a little bit overused recently.

Acutally, I'm sad that West Side Story was on option! I really like that music and the only people I've seen that have skated to it were Tanith and Ben, and they skated extremely well to it.

I haven't heard any Carmen's for a while. Except Bebe Liang's short at Nationals, and it wasn't the typical "Carmen" music. I think that music can stay in the closet for another couple of years though.

Nessum Dorma? I haven't heard of that, is that by Puccini?

I really like Malaguena, but I think Sasha's was AWESOME and no one should skate to it for a while.

Swan Lake is of course beautiful music but it needs to be put away for at least 5 years!

Bolero-It seems like someone chooses this music every year, I'm getting so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore! lol

cianni

On the Ice
I agree with Joesitz, All of the music should be no longer allowed. Maybe that would encourage the skaters to take risks and use more creative pieces. The same overused music is getting boring and the skaters seem stuck in a rut. Ya know, playing it safe so the judges dont have to expand their knowledge of someone being creative and doing something different. Heaven forbid the old guys and gals stick in the muds would grow. ,

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Gosh, there was no choice for "all of the above!". :laugh:

I chose other, just because you seemed to have touched upon some of the many over-used Operas, Ballets, Broadway shows and classical pieces, but didn't have any representative from the ever so many "If I have to hear this one more time I'll kill someone!" movie soundtracks. Take your pick from : Out of Africa, Lawrence of Arabia, Legends of the Fall, The Mummy, Dr. Zhivago, Robin Hood, Sense and Sensibility, Much Ado About Nothing, 1492 Conquest, Braveheart, Tango de Roxanne, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Untouchables, Swing Kids, Schindler's List, etc...

Eliza

Rinkside
Other than the classical bits I put in the poll, I'm really tired of anything by Michael Jackson, Wind Beneath My Wings, & What A Wonderful World.

Eliza

Antilles

Medalist
I actually still love hearing Carmen. It's great music. What I'd really like is for all disciplines to allow for vocals. if you want more variety, that's a great way to get it. I think it's helped dance a lot.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Antilles said:
What I'd really like is for all disciplines to allow for vocals. if you want more variety, that's a great way to get it. I think it's helped dance a lot.
I couldn't agree less. 2002 dance was an abomination! I have a funny feeling that the dancers are more on my side too, notice over the past 2 years that hardly any of them choose to use lyrics.

N@d&A

Rinkside
It´s always a disadvantage to pick a piece of music that has been performed before for other person who made it a masterpiece. Skaters must perform this music 3 times better than the previous skater, all of the above are great but choosing them in a very short period of time and not even equal or better than the previous one makes them boring.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Well, I'm a complete cheeseball and I will admit that. I love almost anything done by Puccini and will always enjoy seeing someone skate a great program to his music. I also feel the same way about "West Side Story". As long as someone can skate with emotion and convince me that they honestly love (and are feeling) the music they are skating to....I don't care! But, if I was forced to choose one...it would be "Swan Lake". And that is only because it has never been one of my favorite pieces.

Vash01

Medalist
I never cared for WSS as skating music. I wish skaters would not choose it. It makes for the most boring programs, IMO.

ouridol

On the Ice
Bolero - ugh ugh ugh. Only Torvill and Dean will ever be able to bring that piece alive IMHO.
Everything else I think could be done better (even if I don't like them) swan lake, toscsa, carmen, etc etc all have more potential left in them. I dont think they should be 'retired' yet