Who do you think will be a member of the Mens TEAM USA Turin 2006 | Golden Skate

Who do you think will be a member of the Mens TEAM USA Turin 2006

Team USA for Turin 2006

• Timothy Goebel

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Johnny Weir

Votes: 47 95.9%
  • Evan Lysack

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Matt Savoie

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Ryan Jyanke

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Michael Weiss

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters

lilphi07

Rinkside
Pick three and tell why you think they will/should be on the olympic team?

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I chose Michael, Tim, and Johnny all current or past U.S. Men's champions......Tim and Michael being on either or both Olympic and World podiums.....in other words, they've got the goods and the experience.....42

sk8er1964

On the Ice
If Tim is healthy, then I agree with you, Show 42. I'm afraid for Tim, so I hedged my bets and put Ryan Jahnke in his place. I love his skating, expecially his presentation, which is as important under CoP as quads.

soogar

Record Breaker
Tim, Johnny and Mikey. However if Tim or Mikey falters, I see Evan L. making the team.

mike79

On the Ice
Goebel, Weir, and Lycasek. Weiss is a maybe but he's very inconsistent, and Jahnke just won't make it. Weir will be on the podium at the Olympics as well.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
While I voted Tim-Evan-Johnny, I really think Micael will make it somehow.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I voted for Tim, Johnny & Evan. Weiss will be 29 at the time of the next Olympics, Jahnke will be 27 & I believe both will be past their primes. Matt will be 25 & unless he pulls it together & becomes one among the elite skaters of the world during the upcoming season, I don't see him making it to Turin in '06. I'm looking at the younger skaters & would have liked having Brauninger, Smith, Bradley, Pennington, Overett, or Dierking included in the poll. Let's not forget that an unknown novice or jr. skater may suddenly surprise us all by then. I'd pick Brauninger as an alternate?

soogar

Record Breaker
Mike will make the team. They put Todd on there last time (and he was past his prime) based on how he did at Worlds the year before. Mikey may have had a disappointing result for him, but he made the top 6, compared to the third place guy's 17th place. Mike has consistently been in the top 10 at worlds for a while and combined with a strong Timmy who has been in the top 2 for the past two years and Johnny who is on the rise, I think Mike's spot is assured as long as the US can qualify 3 men.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mike will make it... he's doing well under the COP... Tim will go cuz dude he's the current Oly bronze medalist... and Matt will go because Johnny is going to put too much pressure on himself and bomb....

just my feelings LOL I doubt I'll even come close to being right.

euterpe

Medalist
Weir didn't put a lot of pressure on himself this past season and did great! If he could finish 5th at Worlds in his first try without having a quad, he handles pressure just fine. Touring with COI had to help him loosen up and give more. I am looking forward to his skating in the coming season and fully expect him to deliver a quad that is just as amazing as his triple jumps.

Weiss is the one under pressure. He hasn't medaled at Worlds since 2000, and has finished behind other US men at Worlds since then.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I picked Tim, John and Mike because they have proven themselves to be better than the the other men on numerous occasions. If , and that' a big if in my book, one of the other guys finishes above one or more of these three, I believe it will be because the big 3 made mistakes and bombed, not that any of the other guys outskated them cleanly.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I selected Mike, Tim & Johnnie. However, even though he had a breakout year and I hope he continues to do so in future years, Johnnie seems to be a little delicate in terms of his nerves. Hopefully, that is all behind him--but I think that could be a factor in his Olympic bid in 2006.

euterpe

Medalist
Johnny Weir, Tim Goebel, Evan Lysacek. I don't think Weiss will be able to hold off the young guys much longer. As much as I like Jahnke's skating, he is inconsistent, and he's 26 now. As he will be nearly 28 in 2006, I don't think we're going to see technical improvement sufficient for him to bypass the younger guys. OTOH, it may well be Jordan Brauninger, and not Evan Lysacek, who gets the Olympic berth; Brauninger wasn't one of the choices in the poll. It depends on which one gets a competition quad first.

Really, Todd Eldredge didn't 'get picked' for the 2002 Olympic team. Todd won the 2002 US Championship over Tim Goebel fair and square, and he was the 2001 World Bronze medalist with a magnificent FS. Somehow, I don't see Weiss winning a World medal in 2005 unless most of the top men mess up badly, and I don't see him winning 2006 US Nationals over Weir, especially if by then Weir has a quad that's as strong and reliable as his other jumps.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I can't pick any of those guys. I want to see how 2005 turns out to make any guess. I think that Johnny Weir has a good chance at making the team if he continues to improve and includes some quads. Does he have a quad yet?

Vash01

Medalist
To be honest, I did not understand this poll. Are we supposed to vote for one guy or three? I voted for one because that's how the question sounded. If it's three, I think the ones most likely to make the team are Goebel, Weiss, and Weir. Others may be good, but I think the USFSA will go for experience. Weir will have 2 years of International experience by that time.

Vash

ouridol

On the Ice
Michael, Tim, and Johnny. But I'm not sure how Tim is gonna hold up. I also think Lysaceck has a good shot at making it too-consistent jumps and artistry is definently growing. The only thing Micahel has going for him is intl reputation and an inconsistent quad. if tim could get as consistent as he was (with 4s and all) then I think he will be a lock. fingers crossed..

BigSk8Fan

Rinkside
ouridol said:
Michael, Tim, and Johnny. But I'm not sure how Tim is gonna hold up. I also think Lysaceck has a good shot at making it too-consistent jumps and artistry is definently growing. The only thing Micahel has going for him is intl reputation and an inconsistent quad. if tim could get as consistent as he was (with 4s and all) then I think he will be a lock. fingers crossed..

Makes sense. Goebel had the skate of his life at 2003 Worlds, better than he had ever been. Then this "anatomical" change, or whatever it was. If he can get back to the way he was, I can see him, Weir and I guess, Weiss on the team. Lysacek is a dark horse.