On Site Reports: JWC 2016 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: JWC 2016

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
since we have few members mentioned that they will attend we can discuss live reports here, cant wait to read! :yahoo:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Junior Worlds Column (small one)

Table of Contents:

1.0 Introduction
2.0 Perfection
2.1 Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter
2.2 The Parsons
2.3 Betina & her slave​

3.0 "Because it´s too difficult"
3.1 Anna Dushkova & Martin Bidar
3.2 Anastasia Mishina & Vladislav Mirzoev
3.3 Renata Oganesian & Mark Bardei​

4.0 Withdrawals
4.1 Maria Sotskova
4.2 Wakaba Higuchi
4.3 Marin Honda
4.4 The other girls​

5.0 Final words

1.0 Introduction

At first, I wasn´t sure if there would be much interest in regards of a column for the Junior Worlds and with Eastern around the corner and my annual trip to visit Finland, my time is limited as well. Nonetheless, did I feel a few words might be appreciated, as the event was high class. Juniors, are for me one of the most entertaining brackets these days, as I follow most of these kids since several years and to see how they improve each season is great. You just get attached to them and the next generation of skaters is exactly what we need to get the sport back into TV and maybe also for us writers, a chance to finally get a better paid job, within the business.

If I think about Hungary, then I do think about the little problems we had during the Europeans a while ago, problems that were mostly caused by fans, who were about to hit each other, just because of the local seating policy and how I had to sneak in with the help of skaters or coaches every morning, as the practice was not public for fans.

Therefore, Debrecen was seen with a little suspicious look and I have to say from what I know and experienced, the organization was pretty well done and you felt welcome and home at Hungary. Of course, there is a big difference of being a member or a fan if you go to these events, therefore my reports will be more of a fan and less a member like in Germany, where I am officially a part of the team.
Maybe, this can change in future, I would certainly welcome it, even though the financial aspect and chance of accreditation will make it quite difficult for someone like me, who has to make a living from just warm words and gratitude of people.

Grateful I really was, for the wonderful music played at the venue. It has been quite some time, since I was able to hear music from the 90´s like of C-Block or trance from the 2000´s. It made me feel like I was 15 again and to hear ATB, Daft Punk or the Tiesto classics, was definitely a nice change to what those act´s produce these days.
In my opinion, it is a step into the right direction and I still support the idea of a professional DJ for figure skating events. It is so common in tennis, snowboard or football – a job I already did myself and it lifts up the whole event to a new, higher level and it is just good to have someone around at the ice rink, who actually knows what a Limiter is or an Equalizer.

Sure, I would be pleased to take such a job, but it´s not just about my own "career", it´s about professional environment for officials and skaters, someone you can really count on, so that your music will be played properly and if you saw the skaters off ice, then they absolutely enjoyed it, even if some of said music was produced at a time, when they were not even born yet and the DJ was just a Megamix compilation.
Of course, it will cost money and the rates of DJ´s, good DJ´s for that matter, are not cheap – but from my point of view, it is a worthy investment for the sport and it works, as I see every time at other sports events.

What also works is the current development in the sport. We do have people like Hanyu, topping records, skaters like Gracie and Kaetlyn who are big role models or tough ladies like Aljona, who just never give up for their dreams. At the same time, we do have a brand new generation of skaters, kids who are an absolute joy to watch, super friendly and very happy about the feedback they get or the pictures you take with them.

In the meanwhile, they lift that sport to a new level, a fresh level, something that sells a lot better than the "old fashioned" way if you ask me. Let´s face it, most people I work with are not in their twens anymore and they have so much knowledge, it is fantastic talking to them and if we can combine that knowledge, of skaters, coaches, officials and the press with the spirit of the youth, then I believe figure skating will rise again. It´s not an easy move, it will cost money, it will require trust, but what is there to lose?
You know, when I was allowed by the German Federation to join their events, it was beautiful and I would love to see a similar development with the ISU, not only in my case, but for everyone out there, who want´s to spread the word and support the sport. While this wouldn't fix the financial aspect (Boston 200 bucks a night ...), it would help us in our work.

We have seen how positive changes can be, as with the new rules for Vocals and I think with all due respect, that it is necessary to join the 21st century and Ice Dance is the best example for this. From my point of view, Ice Dance has never been better than this season, it is progressing and moving to a whole new level as we can see with the likes of Chock / Bates or the junior couples at Debrecen.

2.0 Perfection

There was one term that I used a lot over the past few days in my reports and that term is perfection as shown by Lorraine Mcnamara and Quinn Carpenter, who achieved 163.65 in combined total, with a superb performance to Carmen, by Georges Bizet.

2.1 Lorraine Mcnamara & Quinn Carpenter

While I might sound like a broken record and am not as knowledgeable as the people judging them, it was skating from a different world for me, a new world of ice dance. If we check the top skaters that win medals at the seniors these days, then we already have great story lines, beautiful interpretation and you all might remember my praise of Chock & Bates and their short, which is still skating from another world for me, or that incredible Free of Bobrova & Soloviev, who even with the positive test, are as lovely as before and I will not drop them because of it.

If we now look at those two Americans, then we do see Chock & Bates or the Shibutanies, in regards of their transitions, the smooth footwork and almost blind understanding, but also the story lines and connection, between both skaters, as for instance with Katia & Dima. For me, Lorraine and Quinn, managed to combine the best of both worlds in their FD, high technical difficulty, strong skating skills and a beautiful story line, that has so many side stories to tell and yet is a seaming-less performance.

I had so many questions that I could never ask, but my biggest question is definitely about Alexei Kiliakov, who was so skating with them, that expression in his face, was so priceless and it shows, how dedicated that team is. They all work together, it is one unit and I believe, they all work with their heart on their programs and it so shows!

Many people classify ice dance, as a 4th discipline, but for me it is right there on the money and not less entertaining or difficult than the other three. It does take hundreds of hours every month to accomplish something, that is suitable for worlds. A lot is done off ice, you work like every professional dancer in the world, people who earn 100k a year for their shows while you can hardly pay the bills, yourselves.
You start with the drawing board, where you collect idea´s for your music and story, the elements that suit it, costume design, music arrangements and then, you start with the mirror at the ballet room, as without it, you can not skate. Expression, lifting, flexibility you have to get these things done off ice, before you can go on ice and it´s a very hard job, not just for the skater, but the whole coaching team as well.

2.2 The Parsons

If we talk about a team, then what suits better than brother and sister? Michael & Rachel, won the silver medal trailing by just 0.91 points and they absolutely destroyed it with their SD. Cinderella was getting ready for the ball and wasn´t their first meeting lovely portrait? Just look at the first few seconds, the introduction where she is a little bit shy and he is that prince, who is so proud and used to woman that fall for him and then she makes a bow and they start to dance.

Said dance, saw a beautiful alignment, very close in hold, fluent with great timings, as seen with the straight-line lift, it just has so much charm it´s like they are flying and if you ask kids about the reasons why they picked up skating, then it´s usually because of that "freedom" that you achieve while on the ice.

They created such a lovely uplifting feeling with their short, while skating at a super high technical level and just like Lorraine & Quinn, these grades of execution are magnificent and right now, the big difference to the dancers in Europe as seen with the Russian pairs, who were great, but didn´t had that perfection to keep up with these two.

2.3 Betina & her slave

I admit, that this expression does not come from me, but I saw someone at the forum use it, so I hope it is ok to if I do the same now. Betina Popova and Yuri Vlasenko are around for a few years now and I still remember how I once said, that this girl is someone I would marry. She has so much fire and energy, I honestly have no idea how a date with her could look like, maybe it ends up in prison with a bloody nose or we would rob a bank like Bonnie and Clyde. Whatever it would be, I am sure it would be totally worth it, I so love that character of hers and Yuri I believe, doesn´t has a lot to say in their partnership, but he really improved a lot since the first time that I saw them skate, years ago.

While they lack the consistency and perfection in their elements, they bring something to the table, that is as I called it "sex on the ice". Their FD is exactly where I see their strength in, a choreography that was for me, the most entertaining and fresh that we saw this season with the juniors. Skating to "I am a slave for you", oh pardon me I got carried away there....

Skating to, "Crazy in love", these two made my day with a super unique performance, non alike anything we saw that day.
Huge interpretation, the elements spot on, so was her hair cut and he was able to really play a part in that duo, one of the biggest criteria in Ice Dance, the presence, but also personality which must come out, from both skaters.
Of course, he doesn't has the hair cut like her, but he played a very important role on ice, all these great pictures like with the straight line, wouldn't be possible without him and over the years, he has really grown for me.

Needless to say, that I love that remix, the original I hate – but the remix, brilliant and how they sneak over the ice, to the calmer section at the start and then just totally explode with that rotational lift during the pitch raise section. I love when skaters do that, you need perfect timings, else it looks off beat and it is a real pleasure to see those two on ice. My favorite Russian team in the juniors since years, I so wish they can up their game to no longer miss out on points, they so deserve credit. I love skaters who have a totally different approach to their skating performances.

Russian Ice Dance is not dead yet, I saw amazing pairs this season, but so I did with the Americans, that you can read more about at my Bavarian Open column.

With the following season and maybe finally my blog website online, I might do Ice Dance specials there, to analyze a few programs from time to time, as it would be too much to do this in every column. Therefore, I will call it a day here and just forward you to my Ice Dance reports, of the Juniors Worlds, which you can find below.

3.0 "Because it´s too difficult"

This is, what Maxim Trankov told me, when we had a chat about the reasons for the lack of pairs at Nebelhorn, a competition in which we only had seven reaching the finish line. He also said, there is a lot of talent in the Czech Republic and he is so right about that!

3.1 Anna Dushkova & Martin Bidar

Pairs Skating took quite a dip for me when all those Quads came up, very similar to the men's competitions. I just do not support falling for points, but I appreciate a strong will combined with doable difficulty, great balance between the partners and good story lines. All of that and more, do Anna and Martin offer.

These two, have won the Juniors and they have done so, with a super high level of difficulty, clean execution of their elements and a super charming attitude. If you see skaters as often as I do at times, then you see how they progress over a season. I am totally honest with you, when I saw them early in the season, I wouldn´t have thought about a medal at junior worlds and I certainly wouldn´t have dreamed about a golden one. That being said, right from the first moment on, I saw something that you can call sympathy.

Anna, was a skater who just never gave up. I saw her fall in practice 10 times in a row and she kept doing the element until she did no longer fall. Martin, was on the ice, all by himself, doing nothing for 30 minutes than lifting air, spinning with air or throwing air – as Anna, was not around during the practice. It is dedication and strong will, to perform at your absolute best and this is also what these two said about themselves. "We want to show our best, the placements, do not matter much for us".

You can classify Anna as the smile and Martin the Joker, and it´s really the best of both worlds for me. A super strong male part, who doesn't mind making a joke or even putting his tongue out during competition while Anna is in the air and it makes them so likable and natural. These skaters are no VIP´s, that you must ask for an interview and then they don´t show up, or those that will just go, if you are one second late, no they appreciate to be there and be a part of the so called "normal folks" on this planet.
Their skating can compete with the best from Russia, the alignment that I so admire with Russian pairs, can be found here with those two, from Prague, who definitely do not have the funding like the top pairs in the States, China or Russia and yet, they can keep up with them or even out-skate them as seen here.

Keeping up is a good point by the way, as so often the male part can not keep up with the lady, something which isn´t even their fault! I am a male too and I can´t be a women, I cripple my legs already if I even think about pulling my leg a tiny bit towards a split! Therefore, what Martin does on ice, can not be rated high enough.
He has a super flexibility, as seen on the pair spin in their Free, but also the very present attitude of a Maxim Trankov, of course less mature, but he is not hiding behind his beautiful lady and I love that so much, just like Anna´s super landings, as seen on the triple throw Lutz, an element that the top three Seniors at Europeans didn´t have!

The so called balance, is one of the hardest things to achieve in pairs and dance, and it is so present with these two skaters, but also with so many other skaters and we really have to credit to the males, who are not stiff or the usual truck driver, no they really care for their ladies, do all those difficult spins and lines with them and don´t treat them bad. A really bright future lays ahead of us in pairs, thanks to the ability of those guys and girls.

As for Anna & Martin, next season, they want to step up and join the seniors, with the requirement of a third lift element in the Free, something that I am somehow not in the slightest worried about.
Maybe, they will fall a lot again at the start, but at Europeans and Worlds, who knows what will happen, maybe again personal bests like now at Debrecen, with their 181.82 in combined total, 64.71 in the Short and 117.11 in the Free.

3.2 Anastasia Mishina & Vladislav Mirzoev

Personal Bests, these two Russians had to offer as well and many things about balance totally applies here as well. What, however, makes them stand out are their unique skating abilities. Anastasia is a 14 years old girl and I totally love what she is doing with her hand behind the back, at all the throws of Sal and Loop. It just stands out, like a naked bird does and a little cute bird, but with it´s clothes on, she certainly is. What a character, she has quite an acting talent, as we also saw at the Gala and these two can slip into so many roles on ice, elegant and graceful, party or play dead.
I really enjoy, how for the crowd they skate, always checking with us and if we like it, I honestly have not yet seen a pair like these two on ice, so many things that they do, are unique and not to be found at other pairs.

Their Bolero from the Short, has completely changed my view about the Bolero, as I always felt, it was a little bit old school and they twisted that music piece from 1928 and turned it into an instrument, a beautiful one that just grabs you whenever you see it. They both have so much expression and power, perfectly on beat everything they do, I love that no touch and the intro to it, great arms, super graceful - yet dancy.

Just like Carmen, you can do a lot wrong with that music, but they absolutely nailed it and their Free isn´t less good. Totally different approach with the move back in time, to the Ladies & Gentleman. I honestly can not get enough of their programs, we need skaters like them, skaters who bring something new to the table and not just repeat what we already saw.

3.3 Renata Oganesian & Mark Bardei

Similar applies here, a very strong pair with just the best triple Twist of all pairs and there is a reason why they were chosen at the Gala, among all the others, to perform this superb element again. Great height and he doesn't catch her, he fondles her and put´s her super softly on the ice, it is magnificent to watch and exactly this element, let them down in the Free and was the start of a little vampiric nightmare, as they lost their third spot in the process.

That being said, their short to the Race II and the Interview with a vampire, really stand out. While in the short, super dynamic with full speed, their Free is more naughty and a little bit crazy, I love when she jumps on his back, it has the exact picture from the movie, If you have not seen it yet, check it out, one of the best motion pictures out there!

In the end, the Ukrainian came 4th but the talent of these two, is absolutely there and I love the thumps up and how admirable they look on ice. This generation here from Russia or Ukraine, is no longer the cold generation, they are a part of the smiles and they have grown up with a totally different mindset, than skaters from 20 years ago, who often appear a bit coldhearted, but aren't at all.

I can not stress this enough, pairs skating and ice dance are in a super spot regarding the future, it has never been better and if these pairs, are able to keep the high level, their natural appearance and most important, the joy and fun about their sport, then we will get a lot of fans back in the process, as this is no longer, the same old, same boring stuff, it is new and exciting!

If you want to read more about the whole Pairs competition, including the praise of the Americans Joy Weinberg & Maximiliano Fernandez, then please check the links at the end of this column.

4.0 Withdrawals

If you check out a competition and read the line ups, then you have something in mind. Either, you want to not see someone, but rather eat some Bratwurst, or you want to see someone so much, that you will cry, if you can not. Therefore, a little tear, I had in my eyes, when Polina Tsurskaya injured her ankle during practice, prior to the short and Alisa Fedichkina injured herself during the warm up prior to her Free, being the leader after the short.

Let me get this straight right from the start, I have no sympathy or understanding for people who try to make a doping case, out of this. We are talking of young kids, it is upright wrong and rude, to accuse them of something like that!

A skater does not fake, an injured foot or ankle, they don´t hop on one leg, without a reason...

4.1 Maria Sotskova

For one reason, I am a positive guy and never write negative about a skater. For me, it is part of what I want to do, encourage those that are down, to make them keep going, as only one thing matters in life and that is how often you can pick yourself up!
The young Russian here, faced a super big pressure after her two mates from the team, had to withdrawn and she was super nervous and yes, made a few errors in the free while looking a bit tight on her elements, but in the end, she fought through all of this and maybe even a little injury as I was told and because of this, there is nothing else to say than "congratulations for the strong fight, the new PB and the silver medal".

Seven triples, were landed by the Snow Leopard, maturity was shown especially in her short, this is something that should be praised and not been ripped apart. I can only assume, what it means for a 15 years old having the pressure of your whole skating nation on your tiny shoulders, but Maria never gave in and delivered what was expected from her and we all know, how big those expectations are, for Russian skaters. Therefore, I salute you, young lady, you are beautiful and strong!

Beautiful it also was, what one little fan did all day long when the ladies were on ice. She was about 9 years old, had a little pony tail and a big bag! In said bag, she had goodies for all skaters! Not even a single skater, did not get a present by this kid! It was so lovely to see, with how much passion this girl was handing out her presents as she obviously loved every skater as much as I did!

4.2 Wakaba Higuchi

One of these skaters was Wakaba as she had a super impressive Free Skate to "The mask of Zorro". The way, how she landed her jump elements, was out of this world. Seven triples and each one more beautiful than the other, well spread over the course of her program. It was a continuous mix of high difficulty, grace and a tad arrogance, that made it so brilliant for the audience. Her smooth and effortless skating, is one of the hardest to do things in that sport, as this isn´t a walk in the part, yet you must show, that it is.

15 years of age, calm and quiet, but such a presence and balance – for me without a doubt the best I saw that day and with all due respect to the great winner Marin, the level of maturity reached by Higuchi, was just incredible. A good example is the passage after the Lutz and Salchow at the start, she lands it and boom, a breakdown and a brilliant interpretation by her, such an arrogant look, as it was nothing! She is skating forward, backwards, no excessive skating on a single leg, graceful turns and arms, using the whole body to tell her story, super alignment with the music, which was always progressing, what a great performance!

She really knows how to make herself look proud and confident, it´s almost as, that music was created for her to skate to. That big smile after she was finished said it all, what a presence and a well deserved bronze medal for the Japanese.

4.3 Marin Honda

Honda is well known to the people of this world, as a car from Japan. If Marin might get one of these now, as she made such an positive impact for the brand, I do not know, but what I know is that she was our little kitten, with a very strong execution on all her elements.

While she might still skate as a teenager, after all she is one, her skating skills are incredible strong, with a high quality in her edges. While the crowd was spare, she was there, nailing a superb performance on the ice, with great positive energy at all times and I wonder if she managed to call everyone in Japan by now, as this is what she wanted to do, as she noted after her victory. As a skater, she brings something very innocent to the table and she did not make a single mistake that day, having two level three´s and no Lutz in combination yet, the potential to improve is also there, a very interesting skater for the future and in general one of many good Japanese skaters these days and I am very pleased with that.

Quite often in the past, I was wanting more skaters like Asada, as I always enjoyed how present she was on ice and that she did not only do the quiet stuff on ice and maybe a new Asada is currently in the making at Japan with all these great talents and don´t forget me Rika Hongo either, her Riverdance is super, fantastic!

4.4 The other girls

Of course, I was very sad to see that Alisa and Polina could not skate, at least there was the practice, but that doesn't dry the tears either, I guess. To me, it is always very sad if a skater does practice all year and then can not skate. I so wish both of these girls, a strong mind and focus, that they will not give up and come back strong, next season!
Many battles need to be fought, to become Queen and a lost opportunity is only good to get more will and determination and this will help you with any obstacle that might arise.

As for all the other girls, I so wish I could tell you more about them. Ivett Toth, was just outright fantastic, her presence is huge and what a character and role model already, for Hungarian ice skating. She brought many people to the venue, who made sign´s with her name and a lot of noise, I really have a thing for her personality and she isn´t just an exotic skater, no she really belongs to the big skaters in Europe and Julia has a Jewel there and she will know, how to polish it, former 2004 European Champion on home soil, in Budapest.

Or Tyler Pierce, who came 6th! Damn, she has such an awesome way of skating. It is so fun if you watch her do a combination and the second jump, is even higher than the first! She has huge attack on ice, I so love her step sequences and I really liked the Gala appearance, such a dreamy girl. She has a great feel for music, her facial expression is great and I hope that the American figure skating fans, know how to appreciate such a great personality and how to pick up young Bradie Tennel, who had a really awful experience in the Free, that she entered as 4th while only skating the 14th FS.

The exact opposite did our bloody nose, Elizabet Tursynbaeva, who skated only the 14th short, after a very harsh deduction of five points, for a nose bleed that she suffered from, after a fall on the triple Lutz in her Short, skating the 4th FS and coming 5th in total with 170.83. Her skating is really wonderful, she has great speed and fluent motion, I can hardly believe how she progressed since I saw her at the age of 13, years ago, back when she was still practicing in that shopping mall in Moscow.

5.0 Final words

Last but not least, I really want to thank all the skaters, from the bottom of my heart, for how much hard work they put into their skates. Each year I tell myself, this is the last, but it is so hard to let go if you keep doing these great programs. It is amazing, how wide spread figure skating is these days, it´s no longer just about the battle between NA, Russia and Asia.
No, many more countries are sending top skaters these days and while they might not yet, act as dominant as their precursors, it shows that money surely plays a big role, but also how much you as a skater want to invest, regarding time and strong will, as this is so important for any competitor in sports.

Sadly, I skipped the Junior Men this season, therefore I felt not suitable to analyze their skating at Debrecen, but I have to say, that I am a big fan of the gold medalist Daniel Samohin and his Sherlock Holmes performance and how he was put into charge, at the Gala to make sure that all went well and showed up for the final photo shoots.
Great character he is, it shows that he is living in the States and someone who does love snow boarding as much as I do, will always be a friend! Thanks to him, we saw at least one skate, that was free of failing (laughs), as he was able to do such fun things like quad toe – triple toe or quad Sal, without landing on his butt!

Anyways, thanks for reading this rather short column of mine, sorry for not writing that much this time, but as I explained it´s a different experience if you go as a fan and not a member of the press and with Eastern around the corner, the people I love a tad more than the skaters, will also require a little bit of my time, therefore I wish everyone a happy Easter and maybe I will write a few things about Boston and I definitely need to start with my blog, but as so often, I am super damn lazy and not very skilled, but the spamming of me at GS, needs to be tuned down a bit, I think.

So, thanks for reading and until next time!

For my competition reports, please look here.

Ice Dance:

Short
Free

Ladies:

Short
Free

Pairs:

Short
Free

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist