Edea Skate Fitting Discussion | Golden Skate

Edea Skate Fitting Discussion

sophskate

Spectator
I would like to better understand specifically form Edea owners, first hand, what their experiences have been with Edea Ice Fly's fit pre beak-in and post break-in. Having read a number of forum posts, there seems to be a theme reoccurring after purchase. After skating in them for several months, many skaters seem to be having sizing issues. Specifically, I have read and seen first hand that with doubles and greater, skaters are having foot movement issues which manifests with skaters having to routinely re-tie the skates excessively during practice. In addition, I am also learning that some have been having chronic ankle issues.

I would like to better understand why and if it is actually the result of boot breaking down prematurely or if they were improperly fitted/sized when purchased. In our case, our daughters boot was improperly fitted/sized by the Edea representative at a 245 when she should have been in a 230/35. As such, she is having ankle pain which we cannot identify is this is due to to large of a skate or the nature of the Edea "Flex". We are in in a situation of having to prematurely purchase a second pair. Others at our club have also experienced this as well.

Very much interested to hear from others.

(EDIT) Would like to also hear form anyone who has had Edeas and switched back to another brand. Also, if anyone has a pair of 235 Ice Flys they are looking to sell please send me a PM.

Last edited:

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
Sophskate,

Edea is offered in multiple widths. In the past, the Edea distributor only promoted one width in the U.S. Now, due to an increase in demand, they are also selling another width to accomodate different sized feet. From what I've seen, a lot of the early problems were a result of trying to sell Edea as a "one size fits all approach." They've expanded their offering and should expand their market as a result.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
i have the edea chorus and this is how it fit when i got it:

the arches felt really high and that was the area of most pain when it came to breaking them in. it took several weeks for them to break in well enough and the arches no longer hurt. i have normal feet/arches. im not flat footed or anything like that.

the area around the ankles felt a little loose sometimes. like the edea people say you shouldn't be able to lift your ankle inside the skate, and during the fitting i can feel a tiny tiny bit of lifting but the edea guy said that was ok. (the first pair i tried were too big with obvious lifting, so they had to order a smaller pair for me and we had to wait for it to be shipped in. it was that smaller pair which i felt a tiny tiny bit of lifting but he said it'd be ok. not sure if it's because it'd take more time to order an even smaller pair, but a smaller pair would have been too small length-wise i think.)

sometimes when doing normal consecutive edges, when i push to stroke and lift my free leg(pushing leg), i can feel the skate move. like when you kick your shoe off of your foot. that's the feeling that i sometimes experience. i had to focus on tying the instep/part between ankle and foot more tight without cutting off circulation to the foot(which is what caused the arch pain).

i still haven't found a solution to that problem, but then again i haven't skated in months so perhaps it won't be a problem anymore. not sure if one can get the boot molded around the ankle to help with that or not.

i often have to retie my skates during practice back when i was breaking them in. since i sort of temporarily stopped skating for a few months just 3 months after i got my then-new skates, i don't know if the problem will still be there when i get back but i remember having to retie my skates less towards the end. (i stopped for school reasons, unrelated to the skates fitting or anything like that).

anyways this was my experience with edea skate fittings. i know the OP asked for ice flys but there is no harm in having a general discussion about all edea skates as your title suggests.

Last edited:

sk8forlife

Rinkside
C is the only width I have seen sold and understand it to address most every foot type.

Edea also has B and D width boots, though C is their basic, and most widely used, width. The B width is primarily to accommodate narrow heels (A or smaller), and the ball area is then adjusted as needed for a skater who may need a wider width. I have a former adult student who is VERY wide, and she was put in the D width. First and only time I have seen that width.

I skate in Edea Ice Flys, C width, and love them. The only adjustment I required was a punch out in the left ankle, and I think that was due to the fact that I pronate on that foot. My previous boots, of a different manufacturer, we semi-custom, with a D width and B heel, and all the bone areas punched out! I also prefer a lower, looser boot at the top, so the Ice Fly works for me. I have found that a few of my students who regularly tie their boots VERY tight at the top do not like the feel of the Ice Fly boot, and I always recommend the Concerto to them as a result. I have had 2 skaters go through the frequent sit/re-lace thing, but I have been able to convince them to change out their laces, and add the lace strap. That has helped both of them! By the way, frequent lace changing seems the norm with these boots. The Edea laces seem to stretch more then other laces, so changing them out helps with keeping the boots tight.