What skaters do you have a feeling will BOMB next season? (under CoP or in general) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What skaters do you have a feeling will BOMB next season? (under CoP or in general)

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Based on what happened last season, it does seem that many longtime-elite skaters' careers appear to be on a downward trajectory at this point: Fumie Suguri, Viktoria Volchkova, Jenny Kirk, Angela Nikodinov, Julia Sebestyen, Elena Liashenko, Tim Goebel, Takeshi Honda, Matt Savoie, Michael Weiss, Petrova & Tikhonov

I agree that Elena Sokolova is headed for a fall next season. She has jumps but is otherwise completely sloppy. Vika has never been great under CoP OR 6.0. However, if Irina can get back into her 2000-02 shape, I could see her making an impact. Her spins have great speed (though not well-centered) and her basic skating is excellent. I am not sure about her components marks, though.

Unfortunately I think Jenny Kirk may be in trouble next season as well. She has some clear technique deficiencies, most notably a terrible flutz and weak spins. Maybe Frank C. can correct these problems. Otherwise I don't think CoP will be kind to her. As for Angela, she's been having problems for years. We already know Sasha is a fine CoP skater and Michelle will do great if she goes back to the type of programs circa '96-'99. I think AP McDonough can make a strong impression under CoP if she gets her act together.

Shizuka is an excellent CoP skater. Ota will get high component scores but may recieve negative GOE for her jumps. Fumie Suguri is hard to say -- it could go either way for her. Miki Ando is also a huge question mark. She has the jumps and a well choreographed program, but overall her presentation skills are mediocre. Yoshie Onda is out of it under CoP.

I am also curious to see Carolina Kostner under CoP. Her basic skating is breathtaking and she's a great jumper. But her overall line, choreography and presentation -- ugh.

Last edited:

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I don't think anyone will "bomb" under the system. Like in Mathman's comment, Sasha came out on top a lot last year in the Grand Prix because she excels technically AND artistically. I thought the CoP grades each individual element, including choreography, musical expression, etc. Not just the jumps and spins. I think the only skaters that won't do well under the CoP are skaters who are just techinical or just artistic. I think the CoP is trying to encourage the full package skater.

euterpe

Medalist
Carolina Kostner skated under CoP last year. She bombed badly at Skate America, finishing 7th in the SP and 10th in the FS. But at Cup of Russia, after a 6th in the SP, she won the FS to win the silver medal behind Liashenko. However, the field at Cup of Russia was very weak, as many of the original invitees as well as some seeded skaters (Volchkova) had dropped out.

What will hurt Carolina most is her inconsistency. You never know which Carolina is going to show up.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I, too, agree that Elena Liashenko did exceptionally well under CoP. I think RGirl commented on this at one point that Elena's skating elements seem to be more than the sum of its parts, thus she does well under CoP.

As for others... I agree that we can expect CoP-oriented programs from all Tarasova students, including Arakawa.

I actually agree that Plushenko was not geared toward CoP this season. He won his GP events because he was so much stronger that the competition. His Nijinsky programs had the elements, but was rather weak on transitions. I hope Mishin can see the light and adjust.

In Pairs, it's harder to talk about the effect of CoP, since there is far less competition that in singles.

Finally, Dance. I have to admit that this is the one FS discipline where I am still uncertain as to how CoP effects anything. Though, in an ideal world, I think CoP would favor Denkova & Stavijsky over Navka & Kostomarov, as N&K tend to be more sloppy (that from someone who actually like them better than D&S).

BigSk8Fan

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
I, too, agree that Elena Liashenko did exceptionally well under CoP. I think RGirl commented on this at one point that Elena's skating elements seem to be more than the sum of its parts, thus she does well under CoP.

With those telegraphed jumps? I dunno.

Amber Corwin will suffer. At 4C's this year Peter Carruthers and Susie Wynne said she'd suffer under the new system. They used CoP at the Nebelhorn Trophy and she didn't do so well, mainly because of her cheated jumps and ugly laybacks. She doesn't hold her spirals for very long, and ***** ******, she's been competing as long as Kwan and her spirals are those of a junior lady. Her footwork is quite clunky too.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
But Amber did extremely well at Skate America, finishing 4th. She learned her lesson at Nebelhorn and added lots of transistions. Her long program there was TEXTBOOK CoP, with transitions between each element, and she skated really well. I wouldn't count her out.

Laura :)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I might be a bit naive in saying this, but this is still the same level of elite skating. Their scores will be dependent upon the normal things that comprise a winning skating career, such as preparation, clean skating, good choreography, stamina, holding it together through the program, and several other major factors that are escaping me at this moment. It's not like they are taking up another sport on an Olympic level and being expected to do something that they have never done before. I am keeping an open mind and going to hope that all of them skate personal bests, and that none of them BOMB. It is hard work and to get to that level is simply amazing in and of itself.

Kasey

Medalist
Ok, so it's off season, and we're all kind of bored and exploring different theories and thoughts in skating.

But it kind of rubs me wrong, to try to predict someone 'bombing', even if it is a skater I find boring, or dislike on or off the ice.

So that's my response....no response.

Kasey

euterpe

Medalist
Skaters sometimes bomb in a particular event, but top skaters generally don't bomb consistently, or they wouldn't BE top skaters.

As far as the Russians go, it's really only the Russian ladies who are going through a bad patch. The men are strong, there are two strong Pairs and a very strong Ice Dance Team. Russian prospects for 2006 are quite strong in 3 of the 4 disciplines.

We don't really know how a skater like Sokolova will do under CoP, because last season, she was still recovering from surgery during her GP events and she didn't do well. I don't think she is the most polished skater around, though, and I don't see her particularly thriving under CoP. Her choreography has been pretty bad, and often her music choices don't suit her. Sokolova is a mercurial skater, anyway, and in the past has followed a terrific season with a not-so-good one. We don't really know which Elena is going to show up this season.

Same with Volchkova. Leaving Chicago and returning to Russia was a bad move for her, success-wise. She skated badly in the GP last season, and I have a feeling that if she doesn't redeem herself this coming season we won't be seeing much of her any more.

Irina Slutskaya should do OK under CoP. Whether or not she can contend for her previous top placements depends on her ability to regain her strength and build up her stamina back to its previous level. I think that is more of a possibility than a probability, though. She has a chronic illness, and I think that will keep her from being 100% of what she used to be.

Julia Soldatova is a question mark. She hasn't competed for over two years, and in her last appearances at Worlds her best showing was 18th.

BigSk8Fan said:
Ptichka said:
.Amber Corwin will suffer. At 4C's this year Peter Carruthers and Susie Wynne said she'd suffer under the new system. They used CoP at the Nebelhorn Trophy and she didn't do so well, mainly because of her cheated jumps and ugly laybacks. She doesn't hold her spirals for very long, and Jesus Christ, she's been competing as long as Kwan and her spirals are those of a junior lady. Her footwork is quite clunky too.

I can never understand how one can judge a skater based on 1 performance. There are a number of skaters who are inconsistent (names withheld so we don't go off what I am saying). Peter and Susie said that based on the one competition. They probably changed their tune at the Nationals.

My question remains to all: Do you judge a skater on one competition only either the best or worst?

And BigSkate - Please don't bring in the deity of any religion into the thread. There are many ways to say "Blimey". :)

Joe

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Joe you bring up a very good point. If my life was based on my worst or best day, I am afraid that I would come up short either way.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It sure can be expected that some skaters will "bomb" next season, but I see it not as that serious if they manage to keep e.g. among top five.

I remember Ilia Kulik skating really great in 1995-1996 and in 1996-1997 winning only the Russian Nationals and Japan Open (both though can be considered as big wins). In Olympic season he came back very strongly and with the exception of Skate Canada 1997 he won all the rest (NHK, Russian Nationals, Grand Prix Finals and Olympics). Also the Russian Nationals was a really serious competition as only two male skaters could compete in Olympics.

Ophir

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
I can never understand how one can judge a skater based on 1 performance. There are a number of skaters who are inconsistent (names withheld so we don't go off what I am saying). Peter and Susie said that based on the one competition. They probably changed their tune at the Nationals.

My question remains to all: Do you judge a skater on one competition only either the best or worst?

I think BigSkate also referred to other competitions she has been in where she didn't do so great. And I think the Four Continents Championship happened after US Nationals. And I agree with BigSkate about Amber's skating, she is not that good.

And BigSkate - Please don't bring in the deity of any religion into the thread. There are many ways to say "Blimey". :)

Joe

Stop being so politically correct.

BigSk8Fan

Rinkside
Joesitz said:

Joe

Please don't tell me what to put in my posts, please. I can't stand it when people try to control the opinions of others. Like I told Granny, if you don't like my posts, please ignore them.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Ophir said:
Stop being so politically correct.

Nothing wrong with being polite and tactful.

Please don't tell me what to put in my posts, please. I can't stand it when people try to control the opinions of others. Like I told Granny, if you don't like my posts, please ignore them.

Using inappropriate lanquage is not opinion. You could have voiced the same opinion without using those words.

Besides Joe's a mod and Granny's gotta big ole switch. :D :p :laugh:

BigSk8, whatever you can or can't stand you must abide by the fourm guidelines if you want to post here. To review them, click on "Quick Links," then "Forum Guidelines."

Mathman

Lucy25

Final Flight
I am really interested to see how Irina does under COP. I have always thought of her as a jumper with good edges, but not much else. But like Michelle, I guess no one knows how they will do because they haven't competed under COP yet. Hopefully those skaters who did poorly last year will use their experience to do better under the new system this year.

I am mostly looking forward to this season (with the ladies) because the competition should be so much stiffer (with Michelle and Irina in the mix).