What are you eating?
Who on Golden Skate are you meeting?

All your reports go here!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just arrived in New York for a couple of days of sightseeing before I head on up! :biggrin:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm not leaving until Thursday, but when I get there, expect:

A. Long-winded accounts of running into skaters at the hotel (made sure to book the official one, so hopefully I'll have some elevator sightings :laugh2:)
B. RAVING and MORE RAVING about seeing the Shibs' FD in person :biggrin:
C. Shameless self-promotion of any blog posts I write while I am there :p
D. Posts consisting of nothing but random uppercase letters (like that time I posted random letters and scared Ruffledgrouse in the NHK thread :laugh:)
E. Excessive sad emoticons if any members of my Headcase Squad :p Headcase

...and probably more that I didn't think of. But wow, I am SO EXCITED and I can't wait to share it all with you guys! :yahoo: :dance3:

winky97

Medalist
I'm not leaving until Thursday, but when I get there, expect:

A. Long-winded accounts of running into skaters at the hotel (made sure to book the official one, so hopefully I'll have some elevator sightings :laugh2:)
B. RAVING and MORE RAVING about seeing the Shibs' FD in person :biggrin:
C. Shameless self-promotion of any blog posts I write while I am there :p
D. Posts consisting of nothing but random uppercase letters (like that time I posted random letters and scared Ruffledgrouse in the NHK thread :laugh:)
E. Excessive sad emoticons if any members of my Headcase Squad :p Headcase

...and probably more that I didn't think of. But wow, I am SO EXCITED and I can't wait to share it all with you guys! :yahoo: :dance3:

Lucky dog for getting into the skater's hotel. When I tried there were no openings at the group rate and when there were openings I had already paid for my room at the Westin.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Lucky dog for getting into the skater's hotel. When I tried there were no openings at the group rate and when there were openings I had already paid for my room at the Westin.

I booked the hotel first-before flights, and long before I got tickets-and that was in January, I think. I've definitely been planning to make sure I get into the official hotel-it's really increased my enjoyment of the other competitions I've been at. But even if you didn't get that hotel, there are lots of opportunities to meet skaters if you know where to look! Try the concourse right after events. At Skate America, I saw a bunch of the pairs and dancers after the ladies FS at the arena. They're there, but it takes a lot of patience-and a ton of circling the concourse randomly! :laugh:-to catch them.

Lipea

Final Flight
I booked the hotel first-before flights, and long before I got tickets-and that was in January, I think. I've definitely been planning to make sure I get into the official hotel-it's really increased my enjoyment of the other competitions I've been at. But even if you didn't get that hotel, there are lots of opportunities to meet skaters if you know where to look! Try the concourse right after events. At Skate America, I saw a bunch of the pairs and dancers after the ladies FS at the arena. They're there, but it takes a lot of patience-and a ton of circling the concourse randomly! :laugh:-to catch them.

What is the name of the hotel skaters stay in? Just curious.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You don't necessarily need to stay at the skater's hotel to go to the hotel... The hotel bar is open on the lobby and sometimes you'll see skaters/coaches that way. When I went to Skate America in 2012, I met up with someone from GS for a night cap at the hotel bar and we ended up chatting with Brian Orser, who was seated next to us.

I wrote about my experience here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Short-Program&p=667567&viewfull=1#post667567

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
You will often see skaters 'crashing' seats around you (esp during early rounds). I guess they get upper tier comped seats but 'moving down' is expected. This is how you sometimes hear skaters remarks without filter. Just one example- at a major competition I attended-- Mark Ladwig and several friends seated themselves in my 'area' ... he was very kind and encouraging in regard to other skaters. I always admired him more after that.

And skaters tend to 'pack' together (-- such as elite teams/ who hang together) so you can sometimes run into an unexpected block of several elite skaters at one time.

It is also my experience that most skaters are surprised/happy to be recognized and photographed. You won't generally see the marquee names out on the concourse, but you will see lots of skaters.

At 2014 Nats, Tara Lipinski was staying at my hotel and I saw her at breakfast one morning. I did not disturb her in the restaurant but waited until she was finished and got a nice pic (I missed the bus to the arena but it was worth it- she was a doll).

You will see 'lesser known' skaters (who might be you favorites) frequently. My friends and I had a lovely chat with the Kerrs outside a restaurant in LA (2009). We visited and took photos, etc. for about 15 minutes.

As for seeing US skaters, the USFA FOFS breakfast always gets you up close and personal.

Sorry - this post is turning out longer than I expected - but sometimes there are planned meet and greet photo ops - at 2014 Nats I met Brian Boitano and Dick Button while buying/getting books signed. When I met Brian, it was at a lull time, and he was very outgoing and friendly. I'd met him a few times in earlier years, but he was very relaxed and chatty for about 15 mins. this time.

My current dreams--- to meet Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamil!

Just keep your eyes peeled--- you'll be star struck. (One of my fave random concourse meet ups? Craig Buntin--- so cool and handsome--- we chatted for more than 10 minutes.)

Last edited:

kiches

Final Flight
I'm in Cambridge right now, just arrived yesterday. I saw the Shibutanis posted some photos from Commonwealth Ave, looks like they were the first to check in.

cl2

Final Flight
Hi All, I'm going for Worlds too (I live and work in Boston, which makes Worlds super exciting!) I asked this question in the Stupid Questions Thread a few days ago, but didn't get any response. So I'm asking it again here, apologies for the repetition.

My question is, what kinds of gifts are allowed to be thrown onto the ice, and what kinds of gifts do skaters actually like to receive? I presume it has to be packaged so that nothing falls out on the ice? I see many fans throwing soft toys or flowers. Any ideas for other kinds of gifts (since I'm guessing they already get more than enough soft toys)?

Another question: I would like to meet with a skater (from my neighboring country of Malaysia, whom I've been following but he probably doesn't know me) off ice to send my well wishes. I've never been to a competition live before... Is there some area that we get to meet skaters? Or are they in a separated area? Is there a specific time this should be done?

Upnights

On the Ice
Another question: I would like to meet with a skater (from my neighboring country of Malaysia, whom I've been following but he probably doesn't know me) off ice to send my well wishes. I've never been to a competition live before... Is there some area that we get to meet skaters? Or are they in a separated area? Is there a specific time this should be done?

If you go to his practice, you can stand by the skaters' entrance & try to talk to him when he's exiting. Most skaters will stop & sign autographs & chat, particularly less well-known ones. Or you can hang out in the official hotel & maybe see him. I hope you succeed!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Officially in Boston now. Currently riding the T. The rail system here is weird. There seemed to be some confusion at the station on which train to put us on. The girls sitting across from me now are calling it the 'murder train'. I hope I make it! :cool:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Officially in Boston now. Currently riding the T. The rail system here is weird. There seemed to be some confusion at the station on which train to put us on. The girls sitting across from me now are calling it the 'murder train'. I hope I make it! :cool:

are you going to mens practices tomorrow ? or is it closed for spectators ?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
are you going to mens practices tomorrow ? or is it closed for spectators ?

I think the Men's practice at the Garden starts first thing in the morning, 7:30 AM? If I can get up early enough, I will be there. Definitely will be there before the ladies practice. Need to review the practice groups tonight at the hotel and decide.

I hope to make as many practices tomorrow as I can fit in. Already exhausted just from the long trip to Boston. :bed:

cleo2070

Final Flight
My question is, what kinds of gifts are allowed to be thrown onto the ice, and what kinds of gifts do skaters actually like to receive? I presume it has to be packaged so that nothing falls out on the ice? I see many fans throwing soft toys or flowers. Any ideas for other kinds of gifts (since I'm guessing they already get more than enough soft toys)?

Hi there cl2, I have no personal experience to draw on, but there's this recent thread over here: Etiquette for Gifts/ Flowers. Hope this helps! Also, enjoy Worlds, it sounds amazing :cheer: