Ultracrash pads vs Waxel pads | Golden Skate

Ultracrash pads vs Waxel pads

Myblade

Rinkside
Ultracrash pads are thinner and made out of "medical" grade gel, but does that help it protect the skater more than the waxel pads? I've noticed that the shape of the pads are very similar, but the materials used are different. Does this make one pad more effective than the other? The Ultracrash pads have ridiculous prices and the Waxel pads are way cheaper, so I'm leaning towards the waxel pads, but I'd like if you would share your opinion on which one works better. thanks!

Myblade

Rinkside
Oh I just realized my mistake. When I say Ultracrash pads, I mean the Skating Safe gel pads. Sorry!

loopy

Final Flight
My daughter started with waxel pads and really disliked them. They wouldn't stay in place and they would shift. So she ended up with padded shorts instead. First were Jerry's with the foam (used from a skating resale event), then zoombang gel shorts when she outgrew the Jerrys, and finally her favorite the triple8 roller derby shorts. Pretty much all the girls she knows use some sort of padded shorts and those wanting extra protection slip a waxel in the shorts. They still wear one or 2 pair of tights with a skirt or the shorts under skating pants. They don't use the shorts or pads during tests or competitions.

Loops

Rinkside
I have the triple 8 shorts too. They look good, but the sizing is weird on me. The M's were too big, and the S's fit, but too restrictively for figure skating. I need to alter them and they'll be perfect. If you can try them on I recommend doing so.

What I've done in the meantime, and will continue to do with the shorts, is cut a piece of d3o gel to protect my tailbone (I broke it a year ago...the whole point of the protective shorts, and it still hurts a bit). I bought a replacement back insert for a motorcycle jacket at a very reasonable price, and cut to fit. I have enough left over that I'll use to make a headband over the summer. But I slip that piece in between my tights and my pants. It doesn't budge. I haven't fully tested it yet (thankfully), but at one gym training I fell straight onto my tail bone (from a squat position, so not that far), and it seemed to work as I hoped in that situation. ymmv

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Ultracrash are very effective. Yes, expensive but last forever (we're on Skater #3 in our family using them, 6+ years same set). They can also be cleaned easily (wiped off) and thus stay sanitary, etc. Very protective. 150 pound skater, out of big double jumps, onto knee, no impact effect. Used hips, knee, tailbone. All great and protected injured areas well.

Gel also warms up and feels rather cozy. They are discreet enough to wear under competition outfits and tights without being noticeable, which is great when skating with an injury.

You do need to have some type of tight pant or short to hold in place. If you damp them before putting them on, they will stay better.