Michelle Kwan vs. Irina Slutskaya | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan vs. Irina Slutskaya

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Mathman said:
It's hard to say what Michelle feels about the whole "pressure" thing. I can't see her losing much sleep over Internet chatter.

MM
Considering internet chatter reflects to some extent what goes in skating and with skaters, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it...

I mentioned in my last post external sources of pressure, but if we talk about internal sources of pressure... If she didn't feel the pressure to stay competitive, if she didn't feel the pressure to do something to keep the Olympics an open door, if she didn't feel the pressure to improve technically which she has been talking about for years now... then why hire a new coach? LOL

I find it hard to believe that she feels no pressure LOL

ladybug

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan may not be telling skating fans what music she is skating to this year or how her practices are going but she knows what her goals are and what she intends to do in the future.

She has confirmed Skate American and Skate Canada. I am sure she is looking to test the COP waters and see how she does and what she needs to do. She can't confirm the GPF because she can't be sure she will qualify.

It must be very difficult to stay focused after being on the top for 10 years. Look how may skaters have come and gone since she won her first World Title. Most of the ones who are still around were in the background back then. Except for Irina. Michelle peaked 10 years ago and has continued to peak every year since. She did win World Gold in 2003.

When she skated poorly in the qualifing round at Worlds this year, she was back on the ice practicing when none of the other skaters were. She wasn't about to give up. She got dinged for skating over the time limit in the short and came in second for her LP. Doesn't look to me like she is over the hill, can't make up her mind or isn't focused.

Ladybug

Do skaters do more than the same old programs? They all have the same old tricks except for an extra rotation in the air for a jump. I see Figure Skating as having a very limited program content. Skaters execute the limited elements to different music, usually 'safe' music going from Carmen to Malaguena and Rach to movie R&J. When changing the music it still has the same old contrents of programs, the same old arm movements, and the same old tricks., the same old footwork, the same old entry into jumps, and the same old wrestling match to do a Bielman spin. In different places, maybe but not much else has changed.

It might be interesting to make another thread on which skater(s) actually skate differently to really different types of music. I am sure the 'same olds' will reappear. There is a difference between MK and IS and that has to do with style.One flows over the ice with same old footwork; the other stuffs the program with lots of same old tricks.

I could go down the line and name other skaters. Not much innovation by anyone, imo. But this topic is about MK and IS

Joe

kemy

Rinkside
Not everyone puts in the same elements. Jumps elements, yes, because those are definitely limited. Some skaters put in spin variations on their old spins or put in totally different spins from previous years. Some of those same skaters put in different MITF, with or without variation. Also, no one really puts in the same fottwork year after year. Same style? Yes...but different steps and turns.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Who doesn't feel pressure? We all do to some extent because life can be a "pressure cooker".........pressure can make you fall apart, but it can also make you sharp, alert, and ready......depends on the individual.........42

Oceanguy

Rinkside
Michelle and Irina

Speaking of Pressure, I feel that Michelle definatley feels pressure, but at this point in her career, it's a different pressure. Ten years ago the pressure she felt was about the placement. Now in her career, the pressure she feels is a result of wanting to complete the program as planned. Whether or not she is placed first, second or third is insignifgant, as we've seen her win silver or bronze in such a dignified matter. And sorry for the cliche', but she's "put it out there" sooo many times in competition and hasn't left "it" on the practice ice, so that's where I feel her pressure lies. Am I saying that she wants to live up to what is expected of her? Basically, I feel that she loves skating so much and loves her fans and this is the only arena where she can express that to everyone including herself. I don't know about anyone else, but I love eligible skating and simply enjoy pro skating.......
AB

That's a good point about external versus internal pressure, RI.

Joe, about the same-old, same-old, I think every sport is like that. The pitcher throws a fast ball, a curve or a change up. The batter tries to hit it. The fielder tries to catch it. Once in a while the audience is treated to a great catch. In any sport that has rules, it is hard to see how it could be otherwise.

Oceanguy, I love competitive figure skating, too.

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
see I am the opposite of you two(which is why figure skating is so great! :)) I LOVE Pro skating and enjoy the competitions...

I much prefer a sexy Kurt Browning program to that of a smooth Michelle Kwan(when I want smooth I'll pop in a Yuka tape!) or a dynamic Irina Slutskaya...

but that's getting off the topic!

Just let's not count either of them out... they've been on top too long for us to give them that sort of disservice!

*goes to watch STUDZ again*

Mathman = I agree 'the same old', the same old, 'the same old' is in abundance in everything including ballet. It's the same old grande jete!. The same in figue skating. It's very limited except for higher extensions, and extra rotations in the air. Even skating choreography is becoming more and more the same. Morozov or Lori? and anyone else - not much difference to me. Nothing wrong with this but I wouldn't single out one skater for lack of change. Some skaters have style and that is different; others have no style and that is a defect.

Kerry - variations on a spin are just body positiions and arm movements. The spins themselves are the same. Nothing wrong with those variations as long as they go with the choreography. But they do not constitute a big change; just a variation. If it's the same old 3 turns into a triple loop jump it's the same old footwork into a triple loop jump. And why not? it's a pretty move.

ITA Oceanguy - I think pressure for MK is over. What she may feel is the necessity to skate as beautifully as she can. She has two Oly medals. The last 3 ladies took the gold and ran as did so many others. This will be Irina's and MK's 3rd try. Let's root them on. They wont be pressured as other contestants will.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
I LOVE Pro skating and enjoy the competitions...
Don't you mean "competitions"? :laugh:

Sure, pro skating is great if you want to see the same exact 6 people skate over and over again, always with the same outcome. :rolleye:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:

Sure, pro skating is great if you want to see the same exact 6 people skate over and over again, always with the same outcome. :rolleye:
I think she wasn't talking about pro competitions, she was simply saying that unlike others, she LOVED pro skating and "only" enjoyed eligible skating (competitions).

I also prefer competitive skating, but I don't see what's so :rolleye: about enjoying more the pro world. If those 6 skaters you mentioned happen to be some of the best figure skaters and if they are the favorites of someone I don't see what's so boring. Especially in pro skating when skaters try different stuff all the time and there are no rules.

When you watch the first warm-group of pairs at Euros and all they do is required elements one after the other with some music playing on the background, I don't see how it's any more :rolleye: than having experienced and mature skaters trying to interpret different pieces of music.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thank you RI :laugh: at least someone understood me.

the same 6 skaters... lets see

there's

Kurt, Brian, Brian, Scott, Todd, Yags, Rudy, Viktor...and that's just some of the guys

Kristi, Yuka, Nicole, Katarina, Nancy, Oksana, Silvia Fontana-Zimmerman(didn't she turn pro? and did she take John's name or is she still Fontana? :laugh: I should have paid attention to that ;)) and those are just a few

Jamie and David, Elena and Anton, John and that girl he skates with ;), Yuka and Jason, Jenni and Todd, just to name a few

Roca and Sur... and... A/P... and ok so I can't think of too many ice dance teams at the moment

looks like more than 6

oh yeah and Paul Wylie came out of retirement! ;)

I love to watch the professional skating programs... what's the difference between seeing Kurt skate a certain number 10 times when Michelle Kwan is skating the same SP and LP all season long(and sometimes for more than one season)?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:

yes I did say "competitions" I don't see what's wrong with what I said

unless you meant to say "don't you mean *competition*?"

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Kwan and pressure

Oceanguy said:
Speaking of Pressure, I feel that Michelle definatley feels pressure, but at this point in her career, it's a different pressure. Ten years ago the pressure she felt was about the placement. Now in her career, the pressure she feels is a result of wanting to complete the program as planned. Whether or not she is placed first, second or third is insignifgant, as we've seen her win silver or bronze in such a dignified matter. And sorry for the cliche', but she's "put it out there" sooo many times in competition and hasn't left "it" on the practice ice, so that's where I feel her pressure lies. Am I saying that she wants to live up to what is expected of her? Basically, I feel that she loves skating so much and loves her fans and this is the only arena where she can express that to everyone including herself. I don't know about anyone else, but I love eligible skating and simply enjoy pro skating.......
AB

Oceanguy, you hit it on the head!!

Let me clearify my last post about pressure.

IMHO, Michelle doesn't feel external pressure rather she feels internal pressure that she puts on herself to skate as well as she can and to enjoy her self when she skates. I do feel that she has experienced a taste of life out side of the skating world and even though she yearns for a full, complete life totally outside of skating, when she takes her starting pose to one of her programs you can see the fire still in her eyes to compete with the best of them.

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
I love to watch the professional skating programs... what's the difference between seeing Kurt skate a certain number 10 times when Michelle Kwan is skating the same SP and LP all season long(and sometimes for more than one season)?
ITA, it's the same, you will see differences each time they skate it, trying to see what works better.

Kurt's "Nyah" changed as the season went on. At CSOI was already *the* masterpiece. But we saw it with jumps, with no jumps... it's the same.

Of course, Petrenko doing the same number, only using different dolls is not pro skating at its best, nor is Candeloro finding different ways every year to take his shirt off in a show... :laugh: Actually, it's a pity about Candeloro. He's a good skater, he still has good triples, he could be skating diferent programs, but hey, he's still loved by the audiences so what do I know...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Braveheart and "It Was A Very Good Year" were Candeloro's two best professional programs IMHO....

It's always a mystery to me that a thread topic can change to suit another poster.

This thread was about MK and IS and has gone to Pro skaters and just to say that they are preferred. I think we already knew that.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually the door was opened when ocean guy brought in the pro thing... I'm sorry you didn't like where I brought it. Care to jump in and bring it back to where it needs to be. Personally I think we've all discussed the issue to death, but that's just me.

IF Michelle was just skating for the joy of it and not for the sake of pressure she could (and probably would) just go pro so she wouldn't have to deal with the pressures of skating competively... but she obviously feels she can still be on top of the game. More power to her.

Irina wants at least one last full season that is spectacular. I wish her all the best and will be cheering her to gold during worlds!

I think part of Irina's motivation comes from the fact that Worlds will be in Moscow next year. Just like Michelle in 2003. I believe that after the Olympics Michelle was seriously weighing her options, and the chance to go out on a high note before an adoring home crowd was a factor in her decision to compete that year.

Same with Irina. It would be so cool to see her bring the house down on her home court. Right now, I do not believe that Irina is looking past 2005 to the Olympics. But if she does well next season, who knows?

Mathman