Michelle Kwan vs. Irina Slutskaya | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan vs. Irina Slutskaya

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
No. It's already been killed.

then quit complaining when someone tries to keep it going if not in a somewhat different direction.

mathman said:
It would be so cool to see her bring the house down on her home court. Right now, I do not believe that Irina is looking past 2005 to the Olympics. But if she does well next season, who knows?

IT would definately be cool! :) I hope Irina, for the time being, takes it one year at a time. It has helped Michelle and no doubt it would help Irina, that way she wouldn't feel obligated to keep going if her disease gets worse!

Last edited:
Irina seems to be getting back her tricks and there are many. Skaters knew to beat MK was to do it with tricks and not with presentation. If Irina hits, and there is a good chance she will, and bring the hometown crowd to their feet, there will be enough motivation gained for 2006.

Irina needs this World championship, imo, and is very pressured.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
why does she *need* it though? She already has a World Championship... she's beloved by a lot of skating fans, and is very popular...

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Irina seems to be getting back her tricks and there are many. Skaters knew to beat MK was to do it with tricks and not with presentation. If Irina hits, and there is a good chance she will, and bring the hometown crowd to their feet, there will be enough motivation gained for 2006.

Irina needs this World championship, imo, and is very pressured.

Joe

I believe with her sick, she defnitely will get sympathy from judges.

So next worlds would be really interesting.

One reigning world champion.
One one time world champion and howtown favorater.
One multiple world champions and try to regain the title for 4th times?

Pluss the most hugry ones -- who never been at the top of world's podium and all of them try to make a mark and set themself up for comming Olympics.
Sasha Cohen -- had been hypied 4 years for her unparallelled talent
Miki Onda -- doing well in her first senior world, not an unknown in FS world any more
Carolina Kostner -- has been to the worlds twice and we all see how she got propped up at 2004 worlds.
list goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Carolina Kostner -- has been to the worlds twice and we all see how she got propped up at 2003 worlds.
list goes on.
Do you mean 2004 Worlds? From what I remember of 2003 Worlds she got fair marks. It was Dortmund when she got 5.8 and 5.9s for a program with 3 major mistakes and 1 minor one (step-out).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
It always interests me as to why people think champions have to or need to retire. Barry Bonds didn't after his record breaking year last year. Pitchers don't after they pitch the perfect game.........athletes retire when their bodies give out or they no longer have the desire to compete..........gosh, I guess it must be the same for figure skaters.......sorry some of you are tired of Michelle and Irina....you can be tired, but don't count anyone out.......42

Show:

I hear what you are saying, but the competitive life of a figure skater used to be much shorter. They did not have the resources nor opportunites to continue as competitors for as long as the skaters today seem to have. Therefore, we were used to skaters like Michelle or Irina pretty much hanging up their competitive skates and moving on to show skating or teaching. It's really phenomenal to see them continuing so long. I certainly do not grow weary of watching these talented skaters, but do hope they are not asking too much of their bodies physically to continue. The competitive world of skating is gruelling!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
Do you mean 2004 Worlds? From what I remember of 2003 Worlds she got fair marks. It was Dortmund when she got 5.8 and 5.9s for a program with 3 major mistakes and 1 minor one (step-out).

uhoh, it sliped. Yes, I mean 2004.

mzheng said:
I believe with her sick, she defnitely will get sympathy from judges.So next worlds would be really interesting.

Pluss the most hugry ones -- who never been at the top of world's podium and all of them try to make a mark and set themself up for comming Olympics.
Sasha Cohen -- had been hypied 4 years for her unparallelled talent
Miki Onda -- doing well in her first senior world, not an unknown in FS world any more
Carolina Kostner -- has been to the worlds twice and we all see how she got propped up at 2004 worlds.
....list goes on.

I believe everyone would like this Pre Oly Worlds. It means a lot going into the Olys. I exclude MK for reasons I listed way above. All of those skaters you listed are hungry for the World's gold. As far as I know, it will involve the CoP judging system despite the objection of the Russian Federation.

That will not stop Irina if she is on! She's got the tricks, and will probably be credited for more than she deserves in presentation, but no matter. She is the hometown girl and from what I saw in Dortmund, the most popular female skater in Europe.

At this time, I am not making a prediction for Worlds, but I am saying that Irina is at an advantage.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
As much as I like Irina's spirit, I do not think she will ever return to her former strength. She is battling a disease that compromises her stamina, and the medication she has to take has its own unpleasant side effects. I think there is an outside possibility she will make the podium at Worlds 2005, but I don't think she will be at the top of it.

Linny said:
Perhaps the stress fracture that Michelle suffered a while back was taken as an early warning. Maybe she doesn't want to pound herself to the point of permanent pain. Perhaps she's invested her earnings and only continues skating because she loves to skate. Methinks her last USA Nationals performance could not have been improved by adding technical content or by paying her more. -- Linny
I just saw a quote from Michelle that kind of supports the view that health considerations are on her mind when she plans her future -- whether it be competing more or training a new triple-triple. This is from an interview given at the Marshall's cheesefest April 6th and reported in Spotlight on Skating, about whether she would participate in the Grand Prix series.

"(Right now) I'm taking one thing at a time. Later I'll think about what the healthiest and wisest course of action is."

Mathman