New York Times article on World's | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New York Times article on World's

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Did Didier pay the journalist to make a nice article about him?

Holy toledo, I don't even want to know what he has in mind in regards to that sentence about people not wanting to see little girls in frilly skirts skating to Rachmaninoff.

Just when I thought that figure skating had a bump this weekend, out comes this self promoting snake . If Didier wins the vote in the fall. I am out of here before the demise of the sport.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I've read the article and I have a feeling that they are hinting at introducing gay/lesbian pair skating.
New competition formats?
Sorry if I got it all wrong :think:

I'm wondering whether you mean same-gender pair skating??? Which would not be the same thing as gay or lesbian pair skating. Existing female-male pairs are not necessarily heterosexual pairs -- as exemplified by the two-time world champions D/R.

In any case, I did not see any hinting in the NYT article re same-gender pair skating. YMMV.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just when I thought that figure skating had a bump this weekend, out comes this self promoting snake . If Didier wins the vote in the fall. I am out of here before the demise of the sport.

Did you read the article, or did you take karne's post and run with it? Just wondering.

In fact, the bulk of the NYT article gives a very positive view of the "bump" figure skating received this weekend. See andromache's post, above about Didier's ideas for the sport, and my post about the article as a whole.

Maybe Didier was the only candidate available for an interview. Maybe the reporter tried to find another candidate to interview, and couldn't.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Did you read the article, or did you take karne's post and run with it? Just wondering.

In fact, the bulk of the NYT article gives a very positive view of the "bump" figure skating received this weekend. See andromache's post, above about Didier's ideas for the sport, and my post about the article as a whole.

Maybe Didier was the only candidate available for an interview. Maybe the reporter tried to find another candidate to interview, and couldn't.

Read it shylark. His words/opinions have no credence. If this skating thing does not work for him, I hear FIFA has some vacancies. :slink:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw that article today the print version buried on page 6. As far as I know, this was the only article about the event that the Times actually ran. Maybe if Gracie had won the gold medal, it would've gotten more coverage?

Perhaps if the Times actually covered this and other figure skating events, lay people might actually find it interesting. And Ashley's silver was big news but got a passing mention and no quotes from Diva Wagner?

On another note, I'm glad social media was covered with #worlds2016 the past few days and that must've reached more people than articles in the Times or other newspapers. I think the organizers did a great job promoting the hashtag throughout the event and keeping everyone updated on the audience stats.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

He was involved in the 2002 Olympic scandal, i don't understand why we are still giving him these attentions, and why on earth he still has the chance to become the ISU president.

You cheated this sport, now you're done here, byebye... Otherwise we will see cheated events over and over again with these people around FS IMO.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've read the article and I have a feeling that they are hinting at introducing gay/lesbian pair skating.
New competition formats?
Sorry if I got it all wrong :think:

It won't happen. For a simple reason: how one will have to prove his/her gayness? And why? Like someone cares... Besides it will be big abuse for the competition system. Like for example the rest of the great and talented (like a great bunch of Russians for instance) ladies who could not make it to the National team would just claim they are lesbians and would go ahead to win their easy medals in special let say 'queer' category. After a while some of them after awhile would just claim they "change their mind" and just "turn back" to straight. :) In my eyes lesbians and gays are just exactly the same people just like everyone else, therefore sexual preferences and personal tastes should not be a factor in competing in professional sport. If you are the best - go on the ice and prove it - no one cares if you are gay or not. It might make sense in pairs or ice dance, but I really can't see a reason why gay partner can't skate with straight woman or vice versa. Because figure skating is about sport and art, not about sexuality or smth else. So, special LGBT category or format just totally does not make sense to me. :confused2:

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Read it shylark. His words/opinions have no credence. If this skating thing does not work for him, I hear FIFA has some vacancies. :slink:

Thanks for answering. I thought it was a good article. What is FIFA?

badknees

Medalist
He was involved in the 2002 Olympic scandal, i don't understand why we are still giving him these attentions, and why on earth he still has the chance to become the ISU president.

You cheated this sport, now you're done here, byebye... Otherwise we will see cheated events over and over again with these people around FS IMO.

I don't get why he is even still in the sport let only running for ISU president. The 2002 judging scandal did more to hurt the sport than Tonya Harding and she was banned for life.
Isn't this the guy who made Massot or the German Fed pay 70K euro to release Massot?

Alex D

Record Breaker
Whatever we think of this NY Time story, if every newspaper started writing articles about how skating is regaining its edge, it would regain its edge.

Again, I might be walking on very thin ice here and I surely have no right to complain to people who do this job since 10 years or more, but I often feel that reading figure skating articles is stiff and boring, just like with commentated TV shows. (the reason why I only watch uncommented)

To me we are often overloaded with tons of "Lutz here, Toe there", but hardly anyone is actually talking about the programs and stories, it often sounds so empty without emotions and since I am allowed to dig a bit deeper into skaters programs, I am overwhelmed by the depth they put into their performances, how complex their story lines can be at times. But nobody want´s to write about that, it´s so sad. My friend who works for Ice-network, he is different and that is good, I like reading when he posts there and he has so much knowledge, it is always an honor working side by side, an opportunity that I would love to have more :)

Another aspect are press conferences, not just in FS by the way. The same questions all the time, why do journalists not loosen up a bit more? Why can´t a journalist in FS working for the big networks in the US or anywhere for that matter (I can not read Mandarin or Japanese, so I do not know how it´s there) just say to a skater "I love your rise and fall in the knee´s", "You look like a million dollars", "Cmon, Angelina keep going, fight"... or as in my case "Hey ladies, how is it skating with these charming guys".

When I talk to skaters, they often say how much more they enjoy reading our stuff her at GS, or the more private atmosphere during interviews... If skaters see it that way, then why not change if someone is a professional in that sport? Same with the event´s itself, at Nebelhorn last year, Tatjana had the great idea of having a very private chat with the skaters, as we had no press conference and you know what? I loved that format, sitting there with Kaety, Alaine and Courtney laughing about this and that - it´s just so different to the other stuff and I would even say, why not do it again next season.

Maybe I see this all wrong and hey I did not run through an education in writing either, so who am I to judge, but that is how I feel. We need more emotional people involved and you know what, I am damn happy about GS being a platform for all these people, who have a heart and are not afraid to show it, no matter if we agree or disagree with each other.

Another aspect are press conferences, not just in FS by the way. The same questions all the time, why do journalists not loosen up a bit more? Why can´t a journalist in FS working for the big networks in the US or anywhere for that matter (I can not read Mandarin or Japanese, so I do not know how it´s there) just say to a skater "I love your rise and fall in the knee´s", "You look like a million dollars", "Cmon, Angelina keep going, fight"... or as in my case "Hey ladies, how is it skating with these charming guys"….

I am going to do my part, starting right now. Evgenia, you look like a million dollars. Ashley, you look like a million dollars. Anna, you look like a million dollars. Gracie, dry your tears, you look like a million dollars. Satoko, ypu look like a million dollars. Elena, you look like a million dollars. Mao, did it hurt your wings when you fell from heaven? (I invented that line in 1962. :) )

Alex D

Record Breaker
I am going to do my part, starting right now. Evgenia, you look like a million dollars. Ashley, you look like a million dollars. Anna, you look like a million dollars. Gracie, dry your tears, you look like a million dollars. Satoko, ypu look like a million dollars. Elena, you look like a million dollars. Mao, did it hurt your wings when you fell from heaven? (I invented that line in 1962. :) )

Priceless, thank you!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Again, I might be walking on very thin ice here and I surely have no right to complain to people who do this job since 10 years or more, but I often feel that reading figure skating articles is stiff and boring, just like with commentated TV shows. (the reason why I only watch uncommented)

To me we are often overloaded with tons of "Lutz here, Toe there", but hardly anyone is actually talking about the programs and stories, it often sounds so empty without emotions and since I am allowed to dig a bit deeper into skaters programs, I am overwhelmed by the depth they put into their performances, how complex their story lines can be at times. But nobody want´s to write about that, it´s so sad. My friend who works for Ice-network, he is different and that is good, I like reading when he posts there and he has so much knowledge, it is always an honor working side by side, an opportunity that I would love to have more :)

Another aspect are press conferences, not just in FS by the way. The same questions all the time, why do journalists not loosen up a bit more? Why can´t a journalist in FS working for the big networks in the US or anywhere for that matter (I can not read Mandarin or Japanese, so I do not know how it´s there) just say to a skater "I love your rise and fall in the knee´s", "You look like a million dollars", "Cmon, Angelina keep going, fight"... or as in my case "Hey ladies, how is it skating with these charming guys".

When I talk to skaters, they often say how much more they enjoy reading our stuff her at GS, or the more private atmosphere during interviews... If skaters see it that way, then why not change if someone is a professional in that sport? Same with the event´s itself, at Nebelhorn last year, Tatjana had the great idea of having a very private chat with the skaters, as we had no press conference and you know what? I loved that format, sitting there with Kaety, Alaine and Courtney laughing about this and that - it´s just so different to the other stuff and I would even say, why not do it again next season.

Maybe I see this all wrong and hey I did not run through an education in writing either, so who am I to judge, but that is how I feel. We need more emotional people involved and you know what, I am damn happy about GS being a platform for all these people, who have a heart and are not afraid to show it, no matter if we agree or disagree with each other.

You have to consider that the majority of those folks are on deadline by the time the press conferences happen. There is no time for pleasantries. In Boston, the night sessions didn't end until nearly 11 p.m. If you're a reporter for the Boston Globe or one of the television stations , you basically have a small window of about 1 hour (arguably less) to write your story, get it edited and get it over for publication the next day and/or on the website and/or for the newscast.

I do think there is time to write good stories, but they take a TON of time. The NY Times same author who wrote this piece also wrote this story (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/s...ciplined-approach-yields-joy-on-ice.html?_r=0) about how Jason Brown's Riverdance evolved from concept to performance. This is a story that you are not going to get during any sort of post-competition interview. The author had to spend probably a week in Colorado Springs following Jason and doing interviews with everyone involved.

Of course not every feature has to be that long and in-depth. I think Phil Hersh actually did a decent job getting some good post-competition features for Ice Network, like this one on Ashley Wagner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/04/03/170277946

Alex D

Record Breaker
You have to consider that the majority of those folks are on deadline by the time the press conferences happen. There is no time for pleasantries. In Boston, the night sessions didn't end until nearly 11 p.m. If you're a reporter for the Boston Globe or one of the television stations , you basically have a small window of about 1 hour (arguably less) to write your story, get it edited and get it over for publication the next day and/or on the website and/or for the newscast.

I do think there is time to write good stories, but they take a TON of time. The NY Times same author who wrote this piece also wrote this story (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/s...ciplined-approach-yields-joy-on-ice.html?_r=0) about how Jason Brown's Riverdance evolved from concept to performance. This is a story that you are not going to get during any sort of post-competition interview. The author had to spend probably a week in Colorado Springs following Jason and doing interviews with everyone involved.

Of course not every feature has to be that long and in-depth. I think Phil Hersh actually did a decent job getting some good post-competition features for Ice Network, like this one on Ashley Wagner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/04/03/170277946

Thanks for the links ;)

Yes, I know about these strict deadlines in the US, my friend told me about them too. Either deliver or no money ;) Sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes :laugh: Maybe and again, I am just saying that, should the newspaper give their workers more time then? Quality should always come first if you ask me, but yes I know it´s a hard business and you do this full time, so who am I to criticize ;)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the links ;)

Yes, I know about these strict deadlines in the US, my friend told me about them too. Either deliver or no money ;) Sorry if I stepped on anybody's feet :laugh:

Nah. I get what you're saying --- people do want good storytelling, but unfortunately most journalists have to juggle day-to-day work with long-term stories/projects. In the U.S. it's called feeding the beast.

And in the case of many figure skating journalists, they are actually covering multiple sports. Phil Hersh, for example, was covering Olympic sports, so figure skating was only one of the many things he had to keep up with. Others are freelancers who work day jobs.

I go to a lot of press conferences for my job, and personally I don't care for them. I find, as you did, that it's better off setting aside the person and asking if they can meet over coffee in the morning or even just for a few minutes after the "official" press conference is over.

The part of Alex D's post about the live interviews is well-taken, though. OK, maybe there is time for only one question and a follow-up, but does that one question always have to be, "How did you feel when you messed up your double Axel and saw the gold medal slipping through your fingers?"

I just wish some skater would reply, "I felt the same way your nose is going to feel when I pop you one."

Alex D

Record Breaker
Nah. I get what you're saying --- people do want good storytelling, but unfortunately most journalists have to juggle day-to-day work with long-term stories/projects. In the U.S. it's called feeding the beast.

And in the case of many figure skating journalists, they are actually covering multiple sports. Phil Hersh, for example, was covering Olympic sports, so figure skating was only one of the many things he had to keep up with. Others are freelancers who work day jobs.

Yes and this I find so sad, that someone can not make a living from FS as a journalist. Hendryk Schamberger for instance, he does so well if you ask me, back in the days when I was still watching FS in TV, his thoughts were really good about the sport, he did work at Eurosport and did commentate, I liked it. But he was only doing it part time, his main profession is being a doctor. My friend who writes for Ice Network, he can only do it, as he has the money on the bank so to speak, without it, he said, he won´t be able to do it and he also writes for the local figure skating magazine "Pirouette".

The part of Alex D's post about the live interviews is well-taken, though. OK, maybe there is time for only one question and a follow-up, but does that one question always have to be, "How did you feel when you messed up your double Axel and saw the gold medal slipping through your fingers?"

I just wish some skater would reply, "I felt the same way your nose is going to feel when I pop you one."

Hehe ya, that would be a wonderful reply. I usually ask 2-3 rather funny questions at press conferences and then do like Mrs P does, sit back with some and just have a quick chat. But I understand her concern, you need to have the time for it and I guess asking "more delicate" questions, sells better. :( Lucky me, I do not have to fulfill any standards and can do what I want to do. Maybe that is why nobody wants to give me a paid job in Figure Skating :laugh2:

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The previous year's winner should be allowed to defend their title (if they choose to) even if they aren't selected for their country's team.

Sounds like a good idea, but then a country can take advantage of the rules and never have reigning world champion on the world's team, therefore giving their country an extra spot. Then again I'd rather see all the top ranked skaters than have noncompetitive skaters take spots. Or maybe just have the top ten world ranked skaters getting a bye straight to worlds.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Whatever we think of this NY Time story, if every newspaper started writing articles about how skating is regaining its edge, it would regain its edge.

ie There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Though that may be tested if the French Excrement becomes ISU President.