2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2 | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2

narcissa

Record Breaker
Man, I wish Evgenia improves her jump technique. I'm not a fan of her jumps but that interpretation...she reminds me of a more consistent Sasha Cohen.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
It's because he was wearing his Prince outfit and he had his symbol embroided on his back. It's why the camera was first focused on his back. I saw that little number as a Prince tribute.
Ok, I didn't realize that. It makes sense now. :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have to admire Jason coming back - though I think he was overmarked, somewhat laboured, somewhat heistant at times and his lines are n't as strong and he wasn't as fast as in the pass but ghive him some time to continue the heal and all. But I am still resolute his skating skills are overrated. It will be interested to see what happens to him next year with Adam, Joshua, Max and maybe Jeremy too.

Yes well as you note he was off due to injury for nearly 6 months, so its really not fair to judge. I'm curious though: were you there and did you see him live or are you judging based on that choppy, blurry IN feed?

As to his skating skills being overrated, I find Charlie White's comments interesting. He said that Jason has everything an ice dancer looks for - eg edges, flow, etc - but he needs a quad to be competitive. I'd personally say that's a pretty fair assessment. Also, it's not like judges are giving him Chan-level scores for SS: at TCC, his aggregate SS scores were 8.75 SP / 9.05 FS. By comparison, in his two most recent comps (4CC and Worlds), Patrick was scored significantly higher - 9.14 / 9.75 and 9.57 / 9.36, respectively. Yes he was scored higher here than Adam and D10, for example, but among other things, both of them skated earlier than Jason did.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And in the FS, Denis skated very poorly.

Plus Adam did not have his best skate either.

They should not have gotten their very best PCS marks for their Free Skates TCC.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Riiight... I suppose 7 points higher PCS and a pristine second 3A would have barely done it.

You know what also would have made bronze easier? A quad. :sarcasm:

There was a window open in Sochi for him to get bronze, but it obviously didn't work out. He does seem to have a knack for capitalizing on what he's got, though Quads, however do give others a huge margin of error.

Also, aside from the ladies, Jason drew the last spot again for the men! This is like the fifth time to this has happened at a season-end competition (2012/2013 Jr. Worlds, 2014 Olympics, 2015 Worlds, and here).

Last edited:
About choreography, it is mandatory to give some hint, either in the title, if it is well known or even more if it's less known. Schindler's list, Swan lake, Tristan and Isolde are easy to understand….

I agree, and even for "well-known" stories like Tristan and Isolde, Tosca, or Aida, I get a lot more out of the performance if I look up the story beforehand. ("Why is this fool staring agonizingly into the distance, like he is waiting for a ship to come in or something?" :) )