De-Lovely | Golden Skate

De-Lovely

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Has this movie opened yet, and if so has anyone seen it? I just finished watching "Night and Day" on TCM with Cary Grant. The TCM announcer said that it was not an accurate portrayal of Porter's life. It was fun picking out all of the different stars in the film though and of course the music was great. "De-Lovely" is said to be more accurate. Although Linda Porter was older than Cole she is played by Ashley Judd who is younger than Kevin Kline who plays Porter.....par for the course for Hollywood :rolleye:. Is any of Porter's music suitable for skating?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Cary Grant's the bomb! LOL

I don't think the movie is out everywhere... just in select cities? but what do I know, we still haven't gotten Steppford Wives here in Kenai, although it's everywhere else!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
If I remember the ad correctly this movie is due out the end of July.

Tons of Cole Porter would be great for skating. I'm hoping we see some this next season - in exhibition if not competion.

The Carry Grant version of Porter was typical for it's day. Similarly with George Gerswin, Larry Hart, etc. Lots of double lives in the music industry.

The Klein version is more accurate, and it has the addition of using current pop singers to attract the younger crowd.

All his music can be skated to. I would like Michelle Kwan to skate to Begin the Beguine. Bebe can skate to Rosalie. Shen and Zhao to skate to So in Love, Belbin and Agosto to skate to Night and Day. Tim Goebel to skate to Where is the Life I Led, And all of them to do a finale to "IT's Too Darn Hot"

Indeed, his music is to be skated. Hope to see the movie over the weekend.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joe I was ready to duck when I posted this thread because I know you dislike remakes. Maybe this movie will motivate some of the skaters to use Porter's music.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz:

I could see Bourne and Kraatz skating to "It's Too Darn Hot." Would be great!

Piel said:
Joe I was ready to duck when I posted this thread because I know you dislike remakes. Maybe this movie will motivate some of the skaters to use Porter's music.

Piel - Normally I do not like remakes but in this case I don't believe it is a remake. I think it is what it should have been. And yes, it would motivate some skaters to flow over the ice. Porter's music flows.

LAD = B&K doing "Too Darn Hot"? Love to see it.

Joe

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I definitely want to see this movie. I just bought the soundtrack, and I love it. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Haven't seen the movie yet, but speaking of Cary Grant, I just rewatched "Charade" with Grant and Audrey Hepburn. He may have been a hunk of a leading man, but he was a subtle comic as well........his scene in the shower fully clothed and washing himself is very funny.......... :) 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show, ITA! and unlike Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey these days he knew that crude humor was not the funniest sort of humor.

While it wasn't one of Grant's favorite movies to be in(in fact he HATED his character) Arsenic and Old Lace is an awesome comedic gem. They recently colorized it(for those who don't like B&W I guess) so pick up a copy today! LOL

The Philadelphia Story with Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart is another classic of Grant's! :)

but now I'm getting off topic and we know how much that annoys some people...

I'm not sure if De-Lovely will make it to Kenai before I leave on my road trip... but I hope to see it!

pairsfan

On the Ice
It opened today. I was supposed to see it tomorrow but it seems like it is only in one theater in the whole state. I guess all of the other screens are saved for Spiderman and teen movies.

It's also very limited showing in NYC. I guess the distributors didn;t want to compete with the Spiderman. There's no special effects. I see it tomorrow.

Joe

Finally got to see it. So much different than the Cary Grant film. In fact there is a scene in this one where he and Linda are watching the CG film and saying"If I can survive this, I can survive anything".

They had a strange love affair but OH Those Songs.- Anything Goes! I just bought the CD. It's perfecdt for cocktainl parties and candle light dinners.

Joe