Arutyunyan on hopes for 2016-17 | Golden Skate

Arutyunyan on hopes for 2016-17

tinlizzie

Final Flight
I love Rafael and really enjoyed these interviews. I wish someone WOULD give him a rink :agree:

futurepupdoc

Rinkside
Love his honesty and non PC answers. He is kind but to the point. It is easy to see how he and Ashley have been such a great fit.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I never think about the sacrifices that the coaches have to make to put their pupils in top shape. It was great to hear his honesty about that.

Icey

Record Breaker
Seems Russia would be a better fit for him. Surely there is an existing rink that would work better for him than the one he is at.

karlowens2

On the Ice
How expensive could it be to build a 4 story training facility? A rink per floor. Some offices. Off-ice training. A place like Salt Lake, Denver, Portland where people would like to be. Top medical facilities nearby. Well-serviced by carriers.

I can't believe these world-class athletes train in public rinks dodging little kids. Can you imagine trying to traing the US swim tem in a public pool? Ridiculous.

rosy14

Final Flight
How expensive could it be to build a 4 story training facility? A rink per floor. Some offices. Off-ice training. A place like Salt Lake, Denver, Portland where people would like to be. Top medical facilities nearby. Well-serviced by carriers.

I can't believe these world-class athletes train in public rinks dodging little kids. Can you imagine trying to traing the US swim tem in a public pool? Ridiculous.

Here in Italy we think that such wonderful and great American skaters have all they need to get, while ours must divide small ice rinks (which can be OK only from end September to end April, no more, as it's too hot thereafter) with ice hockey players, children attending their first lessons, basketball matches and training and so on and so forth. Instead in USA too there are such problems and difficulties...I admire Ashley, Adam and the others even more.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Kickstarter to get Raf his own rink?

(not serious but also not completely facetious :biggrin:)

mrrice

Record Breaker

Remember that movie that movie The Cutting Edge? She had a "Building" of her own. ;) I can't believe someone hasn't offered to build him an ice surface. The first rink I skated in was basically an aluminum box with only one set of stands, a tiny locker room, and a concession area that had 3 tiny tables and some stools with even smaller tables that faced the ice and that was it. Very simple design

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"What are you gonna do...hire the Mafia to kill the judges" :devil:

Raf.....hit me up!!!!! I know where a perfect rink for you is at and you can basically have it to yourself all summer.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My take on what Raf wants is a rink with no ice hockey and no open skating. I think Ice Castles in Lake Arrowhead had a set up like that, but it couldn't survive financially without help. Right now he is at East West Palace (Michelle Kwan's rink) and they have ice hockey and such.

Maybe someone will offer a rink, but I think it would be very difficult to survive financially with only elite training. I know Detroit Skating Club has hockey, but maybe Igor rink and the rink the Shibs train at don't.

andromache

Record Breaker
Just want to say a huge thank you to GS for this interview series. I LOVE Rafael! "I don't judge judges." *subtly throws shade at judges for not placing Ashley higher in Worlds SP* "What, you want me to hire mafia to kill them?" :laugh2:

USFS should buy Raf a rink for helping to end the ladies medal drought. Or perhaps USFS should promise him one if he keeps Nathan injury-free. This man is really doing the most in the effort to keep US singles skaters relevant and close to the top. Give him his own training center and let him be the Marta Karolyi of singles skating. I'm 100% for it.

Giselle

Medalist
The way he said that maybe he has only about 6 years left I really hope he changes his mind! We need more Rafael Arutyunyan!

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Seems Russia would be a better fit for him. Surely there is an existing rink that would work better for him than the one he is at.
Lol. Wat?

Are you trying to poach Russian coach back to Russia? I'm sure they would build him not only his own rink, but the whole training center and probably even a figure skating academy of he comes up with specific philosophy of how to train kids FS from young ages, like he is promosing. In a blink of an eye.

Oh, but wait, this is what they actually did for Irina Viner: they build her an epic training center for Rhythmic Gymnastics just for her with all the whistles and blows. No wonder Russia almost automatically sweeps all gold on Olympics and Worlds. This new sport cluster in Novogorsk looks just great. I heard Russians even allow Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan national teams and others to come and train there. Their summer camps are considered to be the most desirable destination for all gymnasts during offseason. Their conditions and system is just better.

Rafik proved he can do miracles even with limited recourses and materials, i.e. skaters which were not raised with good technique or proper training under his watch or his system standards from childhood. He kinda mentioned it several times if only he would have Ashley and Adam from earlier ages.

Build him a rink in California and let him age with his family around, so he can build his system and won't be constantly leaving in hotels. Rafik spends NY eve in a hotel, alone, away from his family - still can't wrap my mind around that. :(

Last edited:

boskil

Match Penalty
Btw., does US skating federation own a practice rink or some kind of training facility?

concorde

Medalist
For speaking with my rink's manager, I think the maintaining a rink long term is harder than getting the funding to build one.