2016-17 Retirements | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Retirements

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
It makes me so sad to see the news about Josh. He was my favorite American skater :( I still wish him the best on this new chapter in his life and that he can work his way through the concussion.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I don't watch men's skating as much as I watch ladies, but Joshua Farris really was such a great skater that I enjoyed watching. I'm sad that he won't be in competitions anymore. :sad21: I hope that he can recover from his concussion quickly.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Poor Joshua, that's very sad that his concussion ended up being a career ending injury. :( I'm sure he held out announcing his retirement with hopes that his condition would eventually improve, it's too bad that it wasn't meant to be. Concussions are scary, scary things. Did I read somewhere that he's beginning a coaching career?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I am heartbroken. He had such a unique talent, so young, so much going for him. So unfair. But above all he needs to regain his 100% health, and if that's what it takes, amen. I hope he will still skate in shows, he is such a joy to watch. I wish him the best of luck in whatever the road he may choose to take, and I do hope there won't be other young skaters who will end up like him in the future...

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Seems like he's coaching, choreographing, going to college and working on his music. I don't blame him for making this choice, no sense wrecking your body and mind when you have so many passions and options for success and fulfillment. I am very sad though. He was one of my absolute favorite skaters and his 4CCs programs were one of the highlights of quad so for me.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sorry to hear that since he turns to be only 19 and the Olympics is just two years away. I wish all the best for him.

Yeah, and he even placed on podium at one of JGP last season. No more Agentinian on International level :(

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yeah, and he even placed on podium at one of JGP last season. No more Agentinian on International level :(

He is a promising young skater although he couldn't become a top contender. He can glide so smoothly as many Canadian men's skaters do as he was actually born and raised in Canada and used to represent Canada for some years before competed for Argentina. I haven't heard he struggles with injury, so I guess his retirement is related to studying.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
He is a promising young skater although he couldn't become a top contender. He can glide so smoothly as many Canadian men's skaters do as he was actually born and raised in Canada and used to represent Canada for some years before competed for Argentina. I haven't heard he struggles with injury, so I guess his retirement is related to studying.
Yeah, I know, but it was nice to see some exotic country represented, and any country from South America count as one. Altough he wouldn't become a top contender, he definitely has a lot of room to improve. I do understand that he has chosen different career way as he think that's the best for him, but that doesn't make me any less sad. It's better tough that retirement came from his own decision, on his own conditions and not coerced due to some injuries.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Yeah, I know, but it was nice to see some exotic country represented, and any country from South America count as one. Altough he wouldn't become a top contender, he definitely has a lot of room to improve. I do understand that he has chosen different career way as he think that's the best for him, but that doesn't make me any less sad. It's better tough that retirement came from his own decision, on his own conditions and not coerced due to some injuries.

Argentina has a junior lady, Florencia, who has competed in JGP in the last 3 seasons. I am really sad for Deniss, I know him face to face and he is a really sweet guy that the argentinian ADHA does not want to support anymore. Anyway, Isadora Williams is improving on her way to 2018, so maybe we can see Brazil at the OG's again.

I am decided: I will be a FS Judge, end with corruption at ISU and put Uruguay on the FS map!!

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am both happy and kind of sad for Carly. Truly hope she has an inner peace and this is what she wants and not rather circumstances. As I have said before this is the eyar people have to make or rather usually make the big decision as most will continue on in hopes of making the olympics if it is just a year before the oly season. \i have to give her huge credit - it isn't easy skating competitively and maybe a bit harder in some ways when your sister is a world contender and near the top of the world scene. There is huge disparities in life - your sister has the media, adoring fans, endorsements and all sorts of hype and encouragement separate from the family. And while i am sure her the Gold family helped it is kind of hard when one sister because she is a top contender can get designer skating dresses for free or reduced costs you are left struggling let alone US team funding and such. But Carly accomplished far more than most ladies so good for her and good for her for having another dream or passion.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I am both happy and kind of sad for Carly. Truly hope she has an inner peace and this is what she wants and not rather circumstances. As I have said before this is the eyar people have to make or rather usually make the big decision as most will continue on in hopes of making the olympics if it is just a year before the oly season. \i have to give her huge credit - it isn't easy skating competitively and maybe a bit harder in some ways when your sister is a world contender and near the top of the world scene. There is huge disparities in life - your sister has the media, adoring fans, endorsements and all sorts of hype and encouragement separate from the family. And while i am sure her the Gold family helped it is kind of hard when one sister because she is a top contender can get designer skating dresses for free or reduced costs you are left struggling let alone US team funding and such. But Carly accomplished far more than most ladies so good for her and good for her for having another dream or passion.

Based on the article linked above, I don't think you have to feel sorry for Carly. She's a smart, talented young woman in her own right, and seems very grounded. She achieved the goals she set for herself as a competitive skater and seems completely at peace with her choice and the fact that she didn't have the same level of international success as Gracie. She knows what she wants to do with her life - and its not always easy for competitive skaters to figure that out - and has already taken some great photos. She has a really good eye and I'll continue to follow her on Instagram not because of Gracie but because I'm interested to see how her work evolves. Good luck, Carly! And kudos to her parents for helping her successfully define herself as her own person and not just Gracie's sister.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Seems Carly's ambitions lies elsewhere -- National Geographic is definitely the holy grail for photojournalists!

I think people forget how difficult -- especially in the Ladies discipline -- it is to qualify for U.S. Nationals. I think we take for granted that elite skaters do not have to go through the regional/sectional process. And only 12 people qualify through that process (the rest are obviously byes). I definitely can see why Carly decided to move on reaching that goal and she should be proud of her achievement.

Best of luck to Carly in the next chapter!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Joshua Farris :cry: Does anyone know what his plans for the future might be? He was talented and emotional skater and with his beautiful singing voice, I really hope he takes a real stab at a singing career.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think Carly seems very grounded. Qualifying for Nationals is no joke, and while she is not the elite skater her sister is, she achieved more than most competitive skaters ever do. Not to mention she has lovely spins and an amazing spread eagle. I am happy for her and hope she achieves success with her goals in the future.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Carly seems very grounded. Qualifying for Nationals is no joke, and while she is not the elite skater her sister is, she achieved more than most competitive skaters ever do. Not to mention she has lovely spins and an amazing spread eagle. I am happy for her and hope she achieves success with her goals in the future.

After watching the Holliday On Ice Show starring Elvis Stojko at Busch Gardens in Virginia, I'd say that Carly could certainly headline at an amusement park if she wants to keep skating. Theme Parks actually pay quite well if you're a featured performer. They have great insurance and for leads, they will also pay for your housing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79CpAPnSIM

Last edited:

DexterK

On the Ice
Yeah, I do not feel sorry for Carly Gold. She was fortunate enough to have been born into a family that could financially support her skating as long they did, through her connection with Gracie she was able to be coached by one of the world's most reknown coaches, and I'm sure she will be able to take many of these training and performance experiences and apply them to her next chapter.
We all know life after skating exists, and now that you've skated at a Nationals go to school, be an adult. She is 20 years old. It is time. I'm all about you living your dream, but at some point it is time to wake up, go shower, brush your teeth, and get in the car.

...Caroline Zhang
...Fleur Maxwell

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Yeah, I do not feel sorry for Carly Gold. She was fortunate enough to have been born into a family that could financially support her skating as long they did, through her connection with Gracie she was able to be coached by one of the world's most reknown coaches, and I'm sure she will be able to take many of these training and performance experiences and apply them to her next chapter.
We all know life after skating exists, and now that you've skated at a Nationals go to school, be an adult. She is 20 years old. It is time. I'm all about you living your dream, but at some point it is time to wake up, go shower, brush your teeth, and get in the car.

...Caroline Zhang
...Fleur Maxwell

I'm not sure what your point is with calling out specific skaters. If a skater wants to keep performing and competing, thats their business. It doesn't hurt anyone else. No one should be allowed to dictate how someone else chooses to live their life.

If Carly wanted to keep competing, I would support her the same as I support her in her decision to retire. Sure, there comes a time when certain goals are not realistic or attainable, but it's for the skater to decide when they want to stop. Maybe their goals are different than what everyone thinks they are. its not always about winning.