2016-17 Retirements | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Retirements

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
After watching the Holliday On Ice Show starring Elvis Stojko at Busch Gardens in Virginia, I'd say that Carly could certainly headline at an amusement park if she wants to keep skating. Theme Parks actually pay quite well if you're a featured performer. They have great insurance and for leads, they will also pay for your housing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79CpAPnSIM
Ah I don't think you meant this is an insult but Elvis is a two time Olympic Silver medallist and many felt should have won gold plus numerous world and grand prix titles plus National titles galore. I don't think you can compare the two. Carly could easily play a smurf in a costume or Hello Kitty. I certainly hope they wouldn't say Holiday on Ice starring Gracie Gold's twin sister.

SorrySkater

On the Ice
Have Aldridge/Blackmer retired? They aren't on the ISP list, and I haven't seen them in any summer competitions.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2011 Junior World Champion Andrei Rogozine officially announced his retirement.

That JW championship was the peak of his career. He was all about the jumps, but never got around to working on and developing the artistic side of skating. Good luck to him on the ships.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I've wondered about how he is doing these days. I remember his entertaining performances at 2013 Worlds. Best wishes for his future.
I am kind of sad to hear about his retirement. Though as I said before this is the year for retirement two years before the olympics otherwise most with a year to go will say let's go for it. I am wondering in the case of Andrea and others if the sudden increase in technical difficulty ie quads is causing some people to rethink about competing - the notion of skating for pure joy well let's face it with costs and trying to make a national team let alone podium may also play a role.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ah I don't think you meant this is an insult but Elvis is a two time Olympic Silver medallist and many felt should have won gold plus numerous world and grand prix titles plus National titles galore. I don't think you can compare the two. Carly could easily play a smurf in a costume or Hello Kitty. I certainly hope they wouldn't say Holiday on Ice starring Gracie Gold's twin sister.

I would never insult Elvis as he's one of my all time favorite skater's. Now, in Elvis's defense, the Busch Parks are extremely popular and are only rivaled by Disney and Universal here in the states when it comes to high quality experiences for guests. They also pay for the housing of all the leads in the park which is why the quality of their entertainment is so high. They hold auditions throughout the US and believe me, the Busch Parks draw high quality performers. Being from Ca. I have been to several auditions which are usually held in Burbank and the Busch Parks always have a large number 0f performers at their auditions.

It's usually VERY difficult for California Amusement Park's like Six Flags Magic Mountain, Great America, Knott's Berry Farm, and Discovery Kingdom to get high quality performers because they don't pay well enough. We have Universal Studios, Disneyland, California Adventure, Sea World, and Lego Land which all have a higher pay scale. Yet, there are still a lot of performers who will wait for Busch Gardens auditions because they treat their "Talent" so well.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would never insult Elvis as he's one of my all time favorite skater's. Now, in Elvis's defense, the Busch Parks are extremely popular and are only rivaled by Disney and Universal here in the states when it comes to high quality experiences for guests. They also pay for the housing of all the leads in the park which is why the quality of their entertainment is so high. They hold auditions throughout the US and believe me, the Busch Parks draw high quality performers. Being from Ca. I have been to several auditions which are usually held in Burbank and the Busch Parks always have a large number 0f performers at their auditions.

It's usually VERY difficult for California Amusement Park's like Six Flags Magic Mountain, Great America, Knott's Berry Farm, and Discovery Kingdom to get high quality performers because the don't pay well enough. We have Universal Studios, Disneyland, California Adventure, Sea World, and Lego Land which all have a higher pay scale. Yet, there are still a lot of performers who will wait for Busch Gardens auditions because they treat their "Talent" so well.

I thought so. And nothing against Carly she just isn't in the same league as Elvis as a figure skater icon. I mean yes, Elvis has been retired for like 15 years but he still has all those medals and titles. Elvis is more likely to headline than wear say a large Bert or Ernie mask on his head. But I think it is so glad Carly knows what she wants in life and I am sure Gracie will support and cheer her on too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I thought so. And nothing against Carly she just isn't in the same league as Elvis as a figure skater icon. I mean yes, Elvis has been retired for like 15 years but he still has all those medals and titles. Elvis is more likely to headline than wear say a large Bert or Ernie mask on his head. But I think it is so glad Carly knows what she wants in life and I am sure Gracie will support and cheer her on too.

I think it would surprise you to see the "less than elite" quality of some of the Disney Princesses. Trust me, when I say that Elvis would have been very happy to have a partner that could do a Triple anything. Also, the ice surface at most parks is usually quite small and it's difficult to build up the speed necessary to do a triple jump of any kind. Add that to the amount of other performers on the ice at the same time, Zikes. Then add, feathers, Sequins, and costume parts like hats, head bands, and even a "Wand" from a skating Tinker Bell having fallen on the ice and you have a recipe for disaster.

Here's the Beauty and the Beast Commercial from Disneyland here in Ca. Trust me when I say that the most difficult jump that "beauty" ever does is the Double Axel they show in the clip. Carly would be a dream Princess that any Prince would be beg for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNz7FglpPg4

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I am kind of sad to hear about his retirement. Though as I said before this is the year for retirement two years before the olympics otherwise most with a year to go will say let's go for it. I am wondering in the case of Andrea and others if the sudden increase in technical difficulty ie quads is causing some people to rethink about competing - the notion of skating for pure joy well let's face it with costs and trying to make a national team let alone podium may also play a role.

IIRC, he didn't even make it out of Challenge to Nationals last season?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it would surprise you to see the "less than elite" quality of some of the Disney Princesses. Trust me, when I say that Elvis would have been very happy to have a partner that could do a Triple anything. Also, the ice surface at most parks is usually quite small and it's difficult to build up the speed necessary to do a triple jump of any kind. Add that to the amount of other performers on the ice at the same time, Zikes. Then add, feathers, Sequins, and costume parts like hats, head bands, and even a "Wand" from a skating Tinker Bell having fallen on the ice and you have a recipe for disaster.

Here's the Beauty and the Beast Commercial from Disneyland here in Ca. Trust me when I say that the most difficult jump that "beauty" ever does is the Double Axel they show in the clip. Carly would be a dream Princess that any Prince would be beg for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNz7FglpPg4

I don't doubt you lol but what I meant Carly is not of the same star stature of Elvis regardless of ability and I assume she could out jump him because he is like in his mid forties I assume and been out of competitive skating for like 16 years and not sure how much jumping and such he has been doing. Some shows don't rely on star skaters but rather the characters especially the ones where you can't see the face lol.

grotesm1

Rinkside
Have Aldridge/Blackmer retired? They aren't on the ISP list, and I haven't seen them in any summer competitions.

Aldridge and Blackmer are still competing. They competed in the 2016 Lake Placid Dance Championships on July 28-29, 2016. They came in 4th in the Short Dance competition and 3rd in the Free Dance competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aldridge and Blackmer are still competing. They competed in the 2016 Lake Placid Dance Championships on July 28-29, 2016. They came in 4th in the Short Dance competition and 3rd in the Free Dance competition.

No, Aldridge/Blackmer did not compete at 2016 Lake Placid. (I have a feeling that you are talking about their 2015 results??)

But I do not know whether they will be competing this season or not.

ETA:

2015 non-international Senior SD results:
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/IDC/Results/Thursday/Sr SD.html

2015 non-international Senior FD results:
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/IDC/Results/Friday/Sr FD.html

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is a competitive skater, surely it is not time for her to retire. It wasn't before Worlds and it isn't now.

Now, when Caroline Zhang or Fleur Maxwell win the the World silver medal, feel free to tell me how wrong this outsider is about retirement advice. Best of luck to them this season and the next ten seasons, lol.

Best regards!

Caroline Zhang just scored 56.27 in the SP at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic----she is 4th in a field of 20 skaters. And this is coming back from major hip surgery.

DexterK

On the Ice
Caroline Zhang just scored 56.27 in the SP at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic----she is 4th in a field of 20 skaters. And this is coming back from major hip surgery.

Great for her and the newly repaired hip!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

What a wonderful news to hear! She is such a fighter. :luv17:

grotesm1

Rinkside
No, Aldridge/Blackmer did not compete at 2016 Lake Placid. (I have a feeling that you are talking about their 2015 results??)

But I do not know whether they will be competing this season or not.

ETA:

2015 non-international Senior SD results:
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/IDC/Results/Thursday/Sr SD.html

2015 non-international Senior FD results:
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/IDC/Results/Friday/Sr FD.html

You are right; I was looking at the 2015 Lake Placid results. Sorry! I need to read the headings closer.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caroline ZHANG went on to score 109.42 in the FS at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic and snag the bronze medal!!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Caroline ZHANG went on to score 109.42 in the FS at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic and snag the bronze medal!!

Wow, Good for her! As they say in baseball, "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" :cheer2: I just watched her LP and I have to give her credit for staying involved in eligible skating. Her double axel has certainly improved over the years but, I hope she's able to generate more speed as the season progresses. I like her style but with the recent strength of the US Ladies, I don't see her in the final flight. Maybe she's skating for the love of skating and if so, more power to her.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really sense she is doing it for herself and I am glad she has supportive friends and family including Grant. Yes, she hasn't got back all her triples yet, the pearl spin isn't there yet and the speed and power is missing but those were problems in part before but wow, she has come so far from such a serious injury/surgery. We may see her back at Nationals yet. She has come so far already in such a short amount of time so who knows.

Last edited: