2016-17 Retirements | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Retirements

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Do you know the face Kanako makes when she's crying? I'm doint that right now. Goodbye Kanako and thank you from the heart!

Yes, I know. I know what you feel. It hit me harder, too, than I thought it would.
I'm going to miss her so much. What a sad ending of this season. :cry:

I wish her nothing less but the very best in the future!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Jeremy still seems rather vague on retirement. He won't commit to saying he has retired but then says that he has no plans for the summer.
When does he have to commit by in order to be included in next seasons GPF and nationals?

"K&R:What are you looking forward to the most about the summer?
Jeremy Abbott: I don’t have any concrete plans for the summer as of yet, but I love summer in Michigan. It’s stunning. I’m looking forward to the sunshine, getting out on the lake, and riding my bike.
K&R: How about next season, what are you excited about?
Jeremy Abbott: Well, I think just like everyone else I am excited about the Olympics. Whether I decide to compete or not. The Olympics has always been a huge part of my life and I look forward to it every two years!"

Interview:
http://thehesaidshesaidexperience.com/2017/04/jeremy-abbott-interview/

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jeremy still seems rather vague on retirement. He won't commit to saying he has retired but then says that he has no plans for the summer.
When does he have to commit by in order to be included in next seasons GPF and nationals?

Jeremy Abbott: I don’t have any concrete plans for the summer as of yet, but I love summer in Michigan. It’s stunning. I’m looking forward to the sunshine, getting out on the lake, and riding my bike.
Jeremy Abbott: Well, I think just like everyone else I am excited about the Olympics. Whether I decide to compete or not. The Olympics has always been a huge part of my life and I look forward to it every two years!"

Interview:

Vague, party of one.......:scratch3: He could have just said yes or no.

beki

Medalist
He probably hasn't retired because he just gave a lot of "skater answers." Love ya, Jeremy ;)

In all seriousness, at the beginning of the season I thought he had a decent shot at the Olympic team, but by the end I changed my mind. Nathan, Jason, Adam, Joshua, Vincent, Max... I'd still enjoy watching him come back though.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The sport has passed Jeremy by at least technically so unless he wants a final goodbye i don't see him being at Nationals next year. His plans for summer don't sound like a athlete putting in the work to make a run for the Olympic team.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Interview:

To be eligible for Nationals, he'd first have to register online by September 1st (as any US skaters must do to compete in the Nationals qualifying structure, even those who will likely obtain byes included). Then, there's a few options.

- If they're counting his Team Event bronze as medalling under Rule 2515B (rulebook here, rule on page 121) then as a Senior level skater who medalled at the previous Olympic games, he would be eligible for a bye straight to Nationals. Though, there's no clarification in those rules whether Team Event medals count for this purpose, and they may not.
- If he was ready for it, they could give him enough Senior Bs to give him byes through to Nationals.
- If he's not eligible for the Rule 2515B bye, and isn't able to get a bye through Senior Bs, then as long as he registers by September 1st, he'd need to go through the actual qualifying structure of Regionals and Sectionals. As a Senior Men's skater though, he may luck out and be able to bypass Regionals due to the Four or Fewer rule since there's not a whole lot of Senior Men's skaters that don't go through GP/Senior B/etc byes.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
The sport has passed Jeremy by at least technically so unless he wants a final goodbye i don't see him being at Nationals next year. His plans for summer don't sound like a athlete putting in the work to make a run for the Olympic team.

Not at all. If he were to come back I think he would already have started his training. Like hardcore training.

To be eligible for Nationals, he'd first have to register online by September 1st (as any US skaters must do to compete in the Nationals qualifying structure, even those who will likely obtain byes included). Then, there's a few options.

- If they're counting his Team Event bronze as medalling under Rule 2515B (rulebook here, rule on page 121) then as a Senior level skater who medalled at the previous Olympic games, he would be eligible for a bye straight to Nationals. Though, there's no clarification in those rules whether Team Event medals count for this purpose, and they may not.
- If he was ready for it, they could give him enough Senior Bs to give him byes through to Nationals.
- If he's not eligible for the Rule 2515B bye, and isn't able to get a bye through Senior Bs, then as long as he registers by September 1st, he'd need to go through the actual qualifying structure of Regionals and Sectionals. As a Senior Men's skater though, he may luck out and be able to bypass Regionals due to the Four or Fewer rule since there's not a whole lot of Senior Men's skaters that don't go through GP/Senior B/etc byes.

Interesting. Thank you for this.

charmblade

Final Flight
:sad4: about Cannuscio and McManus. Such an interesting team with refreshingly different programs. They were so good at bringing stories and characters to life. It's understandable that they just didn't see a place for them higher up in the ultra crowded US dance hierarchy but they will definitely be missed.

Perfume

Match Penalty

Interview:
The chance of Abbott making the Olympic is almost zero. Realistically so.