2016 Team Challenge Cup on-site reports | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup on-site reports

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anyone on GS going to Challenge Cup? Let us know and post your reports here!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Playing catchup after nice weekend with friends, some from this forum, at TCC. A few random comments before I have to get back to catchup.
The arena has been upgraded since 2010. Great padded seats with arm rests, cup holders, and legroom. Still has drinking fountians and water bottles were allowed. pleanty of bathrooms.
No metal detectors and just a brief search of bags of any size. Staff was all great. Assigned seats for practice but you could still sit with friends if there was no one in the seat.
Good turnout for practice day.
Disappointing lack of Japanese and Canadian fans as exhibited by people who normally wave these flags, at least from my view from my seat in 103. Maybe the value of the Looney and the fact that
many folk spend their money/time on worlds kept the attendance down. Hanyu and Mao might have helped the Japanese contingent. But at least the attendance wasnt a disaster like US nats of late.
Highs: D. Ten's short. Jason Brown's artistry. (I told Mrs. P to tell him he is the most artistic/flexable/ male skater out there with the most ice presence.) Gracie pulling it together again for the free.
Elizabet. Shoma. My wife finally being about to watch Rika's Riverdance live. (I think she and Jason could have done a good Riverdance gala preformance together). Spending time with friends and forum members. The local media getting on board. Lots of TV coverage and four page sections with full page pics in the paper. Polina's video "acceptance speach" for a prom date with Nam. Rusty Capp toning his hype down a bit.

I still think the format needs tweeking. Three pairs and three Dance teams with short programs. Tweek the scoring system. But overall, not a bad idea if you dont take it too seriously. It was obvious that
everyone except Jason was tired from the length and stress of the season and shows. I know I am tired from attending four major events this season. I cant imagine the skaters still standing.
Fun filled rumor. Some very famous fans I know told me they were approached by the promoters who are interested on bidding on a major skating event for Seattle and would like said fans' input on the idea.

After awhile (maybe this weekend) I will put up my behind the scenes pics....

back to work

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I just got back and I had a lot of fun...I thought the venue was great. The average age of the audience members made me feel young ;), but it was a good crowd and very supportive of all the skaters. It was unusual to see pairs & men practicing together, ladies & ice dance...but it didn't seem to be a problem for anyone. Team Europe didn't have any flair or silly hats but they had Christopher Dean, who made up for it. I knew who he was but wasn't really familiar with him as T&D are way before my time, but he is a true class act. Some of the scoring seemed a little wacky to me, but it's not worth getting upset about. I felt so bad for the Euro men especially during the short program...with each one I thought it couldn't get worse, and lo and behold...:drama: Skaters I hadn't seen before live who impressed me - Adam (esp. in the SP), Boyang's SP, Gabby Daleman, & Rika. Still not a big Shoma fan, but major props to him for the 4F. I was very relieved Jason ditched the old corny SP, although I am not sure if I like his Appassionata more than Adian's. His FS was really good. What else...oh, I was surprised to see that Michael Cera is now ice dancing for Korea. :laugh: Hated their music though. Didn't like that the pairs & ice dance only got to do their FS, kind of seems a waste to bring them all this way and only skate once. Evgenia is unstoppable right now & I can't figure out how she managed to be that good AGAIN, without seemingly any jet lag or exhaustion. Just WOW. The girl is an absolute queen.

Also, everywhere I went in Spokane (granted it was all downtown), people were talking about the skating event & there were welcome signs everywhere. I hope they will host more skating events in the future...it was so nice to be able to walk through the lovely park in the intermission, and there was a mall on the other side with a food court & several other restaurants & cafes nearby. It was a very pleasant weekend all in all.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Really happy for you silverfoxes that you had such a great time! Thanks for the positive report. Hope you are right about the interest for figure skating in Spokane :)

Sorry that your fox didn't have his best competition.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just got back and I had a lot of fun...I thought the venue was great. The average age of the audience members made me feel young ;), but it was a good crowd and very supportive of all the skaters. It was unusual to see pairs & men practicing together, ladies & ice dance...but it didn't seem to be a problem for anyone. Team Europe didn't have any flair or silly hats but they had Christopher Dean, who made up for it. I knew who he was but wasn't really familiar with him as T&D are way before my time, but he is a true class act. Some of the scoring seemed a little wacky to me, but it's not worth getting upset about. I felt so bad for the Euro men especially during the short program...with each one I thought it couldn't get worse, and lo and behold...:drama: Skaters I hadn't seen before live who impressed me - Adam (esp. in the SP), Boyang's SP, Gabby Daleman, & Rika. Still not a big Shoma fan, but major props to him for the 4F. I was very relieved Jason ditched the old corny SP, although I am not sure if I like his Appassionata more than Adian's. His FS was really good. What else...oh, I was surprised to see that Michael Cera is now ice dancing for Korea. :laugh: Hated their music though. Didn't like that the pairs & ice dance only got to do their FS, kind of seems a waste to bring them all this way and only skate once. Evgenia is unstoppable right now & I can't figure out how she managed to be that good AGAIN, without seemingly any jet lag or exhaustion. Just WOW. The girl is an absolute queen.

Also, everywhere I went in Spokane (granted it was all downtown), people were talking about the skating event & there were welcome signs everywhere. I hope they will host more skating events in the future...it was so nice to be able to walk through the lovely park in the intermission, and there was a mall on the other side with a food court & several other restaurants & cafes nearby. It was a very pleasant weekend all in all.

Thank you for the kind words ref: Spokane. I think much of the success of the event, and I personally think considering everything it WAS a success, was due to local attendance which was achieved by lots of positive, upbeat media coverage for many many weeks. I have been to maybe 20 major skating events and no where else do I see whole newspaper sections with full page pics of skaters in the local paper. If there is one thing that Spokane does very well, its events. This weekend, 50,000 crazy people will run a race called "Bloomsday" and will all have a good time, buy meals and fill hotels. Hoopfest is comming. It is the largest event of its kind in the world, as it drew 27,876 players on 7,046 teams in 2011.[1] It is estimated that around 175,000 fans visited the event in both 2010 and 2011 (and likely for many years before, although estimates had not been observed for previous years), meaning that the total number of people at Hoopfest could be measured at around 200,000 including players, fans, and volunteers.[2] This number nearly equals Spokane's 2010 Census population of 208,000.[3]
There are many events here. But I like the way the skating is promoted. People could attend to see a spectacle, performance art, sporting competition, or how ever they see what is being promoted. And thats fine.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really need to do Bloomsday one year. My friend and I might do it next year.

I so loved the awesome photos and the great play they got in the Spokesman (also, I know both photographers who were there, so I'm a bit excited for them too).

silverfoxes, I'm glad you had such a great experience and that you got to see some of your faves live. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I really need to do Bloomsday one year. My friend and I might do it next year.

I so loved the awesome photos and the great play they got in the Spokesman (also, I know both photographers who were there, so I'm a bit excited for them too).

silverfoxes, I'm glad you had such a great experience and that you got to see some of your faves live. :)

While world class athletes, including those amazing wheel chair racers, do compete at Bloomsday, but for many of the 50,000, its just a fun event...get the t-shirt, a pic of you crossing the finishing line, a time. Your name in the paper. I actually walk farther each day working on my property , but many have a great time, If you can stand the crowd.
Chris the weed killer. Chris the wildflower preserver.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/C.../bitterroot1_zps0d30f617.jpg.html?sort=3&o=13