2016 Summer Olympics Random Chat Thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Summer Olympics Random Chat Thread

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
I have B, but the important thing is going. Just having a seat is enough for me to be happy

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Really excited for you guys!! Hope you can send us live reports!

Take it for granted. Anyway, I will do RG and SynchroSwim reports first if my school report card is as good as I expect. If not, no GS until I have better marks :sad21: my parents are reaally strict when it comes to school stuff

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Take it for granted. Anyway, I will do RG and SynchroSwim reports first if my school report card is as good as I expect. If not, no GS until I have better marks :sad21: my parents are reaally strict when it comes to school stuff

And you have a good parents. Very motivational indeed! :) I will be with my gf over at RG and synchroSwim too. Not sure about my sections or settings. We trusted our local carioacas good friends of ours to get all the tix for all of us. We will just tag along. :)

MalAssada

Medalist
Lucky you, Ines! I wanted A seats for my birthday present, but it was judged too expensive and I ended up buying the new Hitman game (which I am finding harder than I thought). These are the events I will attend: Fencing, 100meters (I think, might be another distance), basketball, volleyball (half of it, because gymnastics is just after!) and the event finals in gymnastics. It was quite an investment, and I do agree that the experience will make up for the bad seats.

alebi

Medalist
The Queen: Track and Field at Olympics

I begun to be excited about Rio the second after London has turned off the flame:hap10::hap57::hap93:
I DEEPLY and TRULY love the Summer Olympics!! I'm already planning my timetable, with my favourite sports and it'll be very hard to stay awake till 3 am, every day, for two weeks... but for Olympics it's worth the effort!!! :biggrin:

Track&Field, Volleyball, Diving on top!! But also Swimming, Fencing, Gymnastic/Rhythmic, Shooting, Archery, Waterpolo, Cycling, Boxing, Judo... and then everything else that I hope to watch casually.

Who will be your country's flag bearer? For Italy will be Federica Pellegrini, our greatest talent in swimming.
Has USA already made a choice? I REALLY want to see Allyson Felix bringing the Stars and Stripes flag!!! PLEEEEEEASE :love:

ok she still has to compete in Nats trials (as many other USA sports stars till now), but I really hope she'll be selected for this honour!

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
I'm planning to watch Rio Olympics as much as possible (at home)! Fortunately, it's going to be held on Obon holidays in Japan so I'll be able to adjust my schedule to be in front of TV :yes2: I'm looking forward to watching artistic gymnastics, volleyball, swimming, judo, wrestling, table tennis, track and field, synchronized swimming...what else...many more!!

alebi

Medalist
What do you think about the addition of Rugby 7 and Golf in the Olympic programme? Are you interested in these new sports? Personally not so much...

At the same time I don't understand why Football(Soccer) and Tennis are still there. They are both sports from a billionaire universe, where an Olympic medal is not a symbol of the greatest achievement ever, the thing that encourages children to pursue their dreams... :confused2:

Are there sports you don't consider "Olympic"? Are there sports you want to see included in next games? I think roller sports and karate should have a chance!

alebi

Medalist
Men's Rhythmic Gymnastics. (pretty Cool) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iIYWsY5NE4 Focusing on Tumbling+ dance

WOW impressive!! :eeking:
Even if this seems more a team Floor exhibition to me.

Last year during European Games in Baku they introduced Acrobatic Gymnastics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eigd45RNNN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahocUWVks6E

And Aerobic Gymnastics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzLIWL2EdbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcR5-QcgP8

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rio 2016 will have the modern pentathlon -- for men and for women.
Fencing, swimming, horse riding, running, shooting.
August 18 - 20.

http://www.rio2016.com/en/modern-pentathlon
http://www.rio2016.com/sites/default/files/users/rio2016_files/guia_ingressoing_2015_daily_0.pdf

(Rio will have also the heptathlon for women and decathlon for men.)

BTW, Phil Hersh will be reporting from Rio for the USOC site TeamUSA.org.
Each day, he will cover one story of his own choice.

Modern Pentathlon is my favorite "obscure" sport. It always seems to be on the chopping block of Olympic sports, but it somehow squeezes through. Modern Pentathlon is the only sport actually invented for the Olympics. Baron de Coubertin devised the sport to mimic the types of activities that a soldier (of the day) needed.

Under pressure from the IOC, the sport has reformatted itself to be more exciting and to appeal to viewers.

There is a case to be made that these are best all-around athletes in the world.

On the general topic of the Olympics, I enjoy the coziness of the Winter Games more, but I love that non-traditional powers have more of a chance during the many Summer sports.

MalAssada

Medalist
So, my tickets arrived yesterday. On a related note, I finally got to see my seats for WAG finals. We are near beam. Guess what we are watching? Bars and vault, which are on the other side of the stadium. I will consider myself lucky if I get to see the colour of their leos!

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
So, my tickets arrived yesterday. On a related note, I finally got to see my seats for WAG finals. We are near beam. Guess what we are watching? Bars and vault, which are on the other side of the stadium. I will consider myself lucky if I get to see the colour of their leos!

Which reseller are you using to get the tickets? For us, Cartan and others do not send the tickets, they just gave us the confirmation. When we arrive to Rio we must go to the IOC base to get the tickets

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does somebody has a friend or family member at rio?

I have a good friend that lives in Rio. She went to school with me (actually, she was one of the first girls I fancied) and she married to a Brazilian guy a couple of years ago. But, I don't know if she has been to any of the Olympics.

And because there are players in the GB Men's Hockey team that have connections to my hometown (2 are from here, and another is married to a girl from here), there are people I know who are over for the Olympics.

Here's a banner that my town's hockey club and the secondary school I went to put up for the 2 guys in the GB team that came through their ranks:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0134864dd723107d83fd598d19e7c74b&oe=584DE27B

(That's the side of the hockey team's clubhouse. It used to be one of our town's 2 train stations before the railways in this part of the province were closed in the 1950's :mad: )

I haven't actually seen any photos of Ian or David's family in Rio. But, I assume they have some there.

In this photo of the Ireland hockey supporters, do you see the two girls at the front in the red Great Britain shirts? Well, the one with her hair tied up was in my class at school. (The reason for the different shirt is that her husband is in the GB team. But his brother is in the Ireland team).

And just for balance (to show that she has actually been going to the GB matches!), here is a screenshot from the TV coverage of the Brazil v GB match (Laura's the one furthest from camera, again with her hair tied up).

She has also taken some selfies while watching a match, but this time wearing an Ireland shirt. But, I don't know the girls she was with, so that's why I'm not posting them here.

So, yeah, I have friends that are in Rio.

CaroLiza_fan