2016 Nebelhorn General Chat & First Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn General Chat & First Info

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^saw your edit there :) i was going to pounce on your post before you changed it :) LOL... go gabby :) go everyone !

Fortunately, I have coffee now. It's like I'm two different people....Pre Coffee :devil: and Post Coffee :yahoo:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It looks like Amber is the only US Lady going. Is that correct? ...

mrrice, sorry to say that your favorite Angela Wang originally was assigned to Nebelhorn along with Amber.
But I see from your post that Angela no longer appears on the ISU list, which was updated on Sep 20.

Must have been a recent change -- Angela's name still does appear on the USFS assignment page, along with Amber's:

mrrice

Record Breaker
mrrice, sorry to say that your favorite Angela Wang originally was assigned to Nebelhorn along with Amber.
But I see from your post that Angela no longer appears on the ISU list, which was updated on Sep 20.

Must have been a recent change -- Angela's name still does appear on the USFS assignment page, along with Amber's:

Thanks ice coverage. I just looked at her schedule and it still has Nebelhorn listed on her page. Has she been injured? I was actually surprised not to see her in Salt Lake City. I would appreciate any updates on her condition. I just hope that she hasn't sustained an injury.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks ice coverage. I just looked at her schedule and it still has Nebelhorn listed on her page. Has she been injured? I was actually surprised not to see her in Salt Lake City. I would appreciate any updates on her condition. I just hope that she hasn't sustained an injury.

ETA:
The notation of "Wang (w/d. 9/10)" was added to the USFS assignments pages just within the last few hours.
The withdrawal notation wasn't there when I looked at the page earlier today.​

The original version of this post:

We're still talking about Angela, right? (As opposed to Amber.)

If so, I (as a fellow fan of Angela's :ghug:) would like to learn what you mean by "her page."
Does Angela have her own website now? I look at her tweets and Instagrams periodically, but I never have seen a site for her.

As for SLC, this year Angela never was entered there. Don't know why, but I don't think it necessarily "means" anything one way or the other. Max was assigned to Nebelhorn last year, after winning SLC the preceding three years.
Angela is from SLC, as is Nathan ... but not sure whether the hometown connection makes them more likely to be assigned to the US Classic. (Impossible to tell esp. with Nathan, given that he is coming back from his injury.)

IIRC, the last time I read about Angela was after Champs Camp. FWIW, the IN article then made no mention of injury. Scroll down to the last several sentences to see the part about Angela.
(As I think you know, Angela won Collegiates at the end of July, so I hope that was the start of a good season for her :).)

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Is it a day practice pass or all event practice pass? LOL, the Trophy is getting expensive every year.
I will be there on Sept 22. Please write a little bit about Gaby D. Thank you.

Its just for the practice today ;)

The other tickets listed are for competition days, including practice.
Is live stream on Daily Motion going to be free?

Yes of course ;)

You can still watch videos from last year if you want.

http://www.dailymotion.com/skatingvideos

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
BROOKLEE PLZKTHX :yes:

Also, ladies SP is at primetime for me! Woot!

Alex D

Record Breaker
As it happened general news

So folks, first of all Angela Wang is indeed out, it´s a "minor" injury, more information were not given. As of right now, her GP assignment is not in danger, so let´s wish her a speedy recovery.

Now to the actual practice,

there was some confusion about the schedule, the one of the ISU seems faulty (Dance three groups 11:30)

http://static.isu.org/media/382451/nebelhorn-trophy-2016_colouredtimeschedule_2016_08_24.pdf

I keep ya posted if we can use this one, or the one I have here. So treat it with caution for now.

I also have news about Aljona, she had a fall on her throw Axel on Monday, but both have signed up today and it should be alright and they can compete. They practice in a bit, so we will see what happens there.

Dance will follow a bit later, going to watch our Canadian pair now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'd like to make another request for your personal reviews on the skaters. It's always fun and makes me (Almost) feel like I'm sitting in the rink with you guys. Have fun, Drink a lot of hot Coffee or Tea and bring layers of your most comfortable clothes. Remember, once the event starts you won't be able to make trips out to the car. Take tons of pictures and cell videos for your memories. Believe me, in 5 years you'll really appreciate it when you look back on your trip.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
As it happened Wednesday

My day started with lots of noise, the cows were in town and if I tell you now that each cow had a bell and about 50 were running through Oberstdorf, right below my window, leaving their poo everywhere, then you might get the picture of how my day had started. I was in deep **** to say the least! Forget the annoying Rooster guys, it´s the cows who are back in town and they left their stuff everywhere! Once the Trophy is done, we will all be smelling like cows...

Anyways, because of the cows and my always late attitude, I forgot to shave and left in a hurry only to find out, that the practice was about to start 30 minutes later, as on the original handout clearly written, but ya... why look at the ISU schedule and get confused .. if you could just check your own papers.

Not sure if the skaters had to leave in a hurry to, but some of our men also "forgot" to shave" like Dylon and Paul, but they looked like a million dollars and me like a creature of the night ... what am I doing wrong, I don´t know - I look like a "homeless", they like real men... I am grateful for any tips guys, especially how you convince your ladies of said look, mine does not even look at me unshaved!

As for the practice, well it´s quite noticeable that we are looking at the start of the season, as not each connection was smooth, some transitions a bit slow and a few falls crawled in as well. But, as you should have noticed by now, I don´t write about the negative, but only the positive, so here we go!

Liza was here:

My dear Liza, she was here, can you believe it!? What a great girl and she was not alone! Thanks Ladies, I enjoyed your company!

As for our Russian Lady, she always lights up a fire in me, with her calm way to practice, not caring about anything else, being in her own world, gliding softly over the ice. She had an issue with the skating boot, but it did not show, oh boy does she have grace in her spins.

Before you ask, yes she did attempt her Axel a few times, also in the evening in which they also used some technology from the 21st. century, to get the take off right - so tell me again, FS is still living in the 20th... at least in Russia we are up to date now and maybe it´s the reason why the Ladies are so good over there. I hope I did not let the cat out of her cage now, you did not get the info from me OK?! Anyways, if we talk about cats, then we also have to talk about Serafima. She always reminds me of a cat when she is on the ice, sneaky as she is and super friendly.

While she had some issues with the door, as several girls today (please door be locked again tomorrow, I like to help these Ladies out) - her skating was pretty charming and she did not need any help there, not that I could be of any assistance there with my total lack of talent... but hey I carried a whole bunch of books today of Aljona, this counts for something eh?

Anyways, the Russian, is such a handsome girl and does indeed use her hands a lot during her skates. She is drawing all these lovely pictures here and there and she did not do much wrong today, both SP and FS, fully performed and pretty clean as far I can tell. Her Rittberger is gorgeous, such a great touch she has there. It´s great to see her at Oberstdorf, finally!

Of course, these two were not the only Ladies on the ice, actually more than ever on a Wednesday were here, maybe they knew I was waiting, haha a man can dream, right? But does that then mean, the others did not come, knowing I was there? Hm, is the glass half full now or half empty, damn ...

That being said, I was hugely impressed with Amber Glenn, that girl has style, she is definitely battling with Viktorya Kavaliova for the crown of the most stylish skater, as our ice dancer from Belarus just rocked the morning, so sexy! I already know what you guys will say, how can she show so much skin, but seriously, why not? I loved the outfit and the dance moves of both skates, very lovely duo.

As for Amber, she really gives you the feeling to skate for you, just like Gabby who has so much power in her jumps, that height, almost as if she has dynamite where others have muscles! And Amber, she could also easily fit in if Madi needs a break from Evan, she has got the flow and she is the only skater I saw in practice in all the years, who was able to joke around with her coach while doing spirals...
They are a fun team to watch, so much joy and all smiles, that´s the spirit!
Also Karo showed up, she gave me that welcome smile as always, charming young lady that she is, while her FS in the evening was very dark and she gave me the cold shoulder! Women, story of my life playing hot and cold with me ;)

Last but not least, Karly Robertson, is fantastic, where others use jumps to impress, she just puts her heart on the ice, what a wonderful person and she does not hold back at all, neither does Brooklee, she is always skating so emotional and our lovely Japanese Mai was a bit lost in search of a garbage can, but on ice, she shined and found all her elements today.

Should be great fun to write a column with so much talent on the ice and some like Isa, Emmi, Lutricia did not even skate yet!

Hip Hop Anyone?

Now that I spoke about the ladies, a few words about our dancers! Where was the hip hop in the morning, Madi... Evan?! You promised... nah, Just kidding, you did wonderful, I am already a fan of the FD, it´s something totally different, especially the music - slow and explosive, like their performance, very industrial I would say. Again, the arrangement is really well done, the heart of the musician in me shines bright when I see how it all fits together, the transitions and connections. I stick to what I say since years, the best dancers in the field and there was just one thing I didn´t fully like, but I need to see it again, to make a judgment.

At the afternoon they finally gave me my hip hop treat, with huge smiles, almost as if they wanted to say "and Alex, what do ya think of that?" Guess what, I liked it, even though I have to say, hip hop on ice is a bit like a bunny on speed. I can´t remember me doing it that fast back in the days, but mind you I was young and needed the money :laugh:

It´s really faster than expected, as you can have the freedom of the ice, plus the fast movements in your upper body. Especially their last line (they skate the hip hop rhythm as second), is fantastic, they really captured the essence of the freedom and spirit there, it´s a lifestyle after all, nice alignment already, lots of work in the Ballroom during summer I suppose. They also did a full run of twizzles, but I really mean a full one! From the left of the ice, to the right, yes the full ice covered, how crazy is that? Of course, it was just for relaxation after the program I suppose and nothing we will see in competition, but I was hugely impressed, you guys were just showing off right? :)

I also like Madi´s outfit in the SD, its something else too, young lady there are old men watching you know... not sure if I can survive another day of that. But seriously, I think it´s a pretty good SD and FD already, it´s their fasted and wildest so far, but it looks like they did nothing else, all career long.

I also have to say that the presence of Anna and Luca is huge, I saw them so often now and there is something very special about them, even in practice. He cares about her and she about him, like after the fall, when she took care of the ice on his back, they skate to their program music so wonderful, textbook skating! In general, I enjoy their SD music more this season, the transition is better done than last year, its much smoother now.

The British were great as well, you could feel the intensity this morning during their FD, I love the progression they offer, it´s like watching a movie.
Overall, all ice dancers did wonderful, we have something for the heart and to party, I can imagine that those hip hop performances will work greatly throughout the season, it´s something else and different, so far I like it and I believe we will have three tomorrow, if I counted right. Korea, Germany and USA.

As for pairs, first of all Liubovs and Dylans FS, they just know how to look like a love couple whenever they skate. They understand each other blindly, the no touch is again one of their strengths, they could probably skate with closed eyes, but why did Liubov not show her muscles today? :scratch2:

What I noticed, however, all skaters were dressed in black, just Aljona had a blue outfit this afternoon - she stood out, just like their program, with all these little gimmicks and emotes during their SP. I did not see any negative impact from the fall earlier this week, so all should be well.
I will have some more work to do later, so I will call it a day for now. After sending in the cows this morning, later the clowns and the hip hop, disco rhythms, I need a break and wish you all a good night.

Most work will go into the column this year, but I still wanted to give you a small teaser of what to expect in the next days and we will hear again from each other, in the next few days or after the comp when I post my full column.

I keep you posted!

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Thanks for your impressions Alex, if only we could see video :)

Thank you very much Alex! Wish we could see videos!

Sorry guys,

but I am one of these old-school people who believe in having memories, rather than pictures or videos. I take pictures from the press conferences and VC´s, sometimes off ice, but usually not during skates. Some of our Russians who usually do take videos are not here, as we have no Russian pairs this year.

Tomorrow, you will have the stream :)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
ALEX...Thank you SO much for the wonderful report... very humerous and informative and easy to visualize. Honestly some things you said had me on the floor laughing!!
Also: I love :luv17: cows!!!! :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm so excited for tomorrow, I have the day off so i'll be watching the live competition for the first time this season, yay! Here's hoping the livestream behaves itself. ;)

Thanks Alex for all your insight!

mrrice

Record Breaker
What is the start time for those of us on the west coast of the US? I don't want to miss Tuk.