Juniors going Senior | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Juniors going Senior

Rissa

Record Breaker
He's exciting to watch, but I disagree that he has everything. He does not have consistency.

None of junior men do.

With stellar debuts from Uno and Jin I wonder how Daniel will compare. If he gets himeself under control and goes clean he could squeeze into top 5 but somehow I can't see top 3 for him, the competition is getting stiffer and stiffer.

Eta: I'm even more curious how Nathan will turn out in his debut senior season, after all he was the the to beat amongst juniors before the injury knocked him out from junior worlds. He'd be more likely to follow the pattern of successful debuts if he recovers well. He seems to be extremely injury prone, more so than Uno/Jin so that's the wild card in predicting him. On the other hand, Uno is going to train the heck out of that 4F so the risk of injury increases, Hanyu already post-injury with his 4Lo is going to be in the same boat, Boyang's body already takes quite a pounding, perhas Javi will prevail. But seeing how fragile the entire top is, Nathan or Daniel just might do it, depending on circumstances.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can see how Samohin will do in seniors by looking at Euros 2016: he placed 7th, beaten by Fernandez, compatriot Bychenko, Kovtun, Amodio (who has retired), Kolyada, and Righini. At Worlds, Fernandez won, Kolyada was 4th, Righini and Bychenko were 12th and 13th, and Kovtun was 18th. IMO, Samohin would have finished somewhere around where Righini and Bychenko placed, certainly not top 5. He has the jumps, but his skating is still raw and unfinished compared to skaters like Uno and Rippon.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wonder whether the following new ISU rule will be a factor in any decisions to move up to seniors??

To qualify for Senior ISU championships, TES minimums from Senior internationals now will be required.

Per "Decisions of the ISU Council" that were published today as ISU Communication No. 2017:
... The required Minimum Technical Elements Score for the Short Program/Short Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance to participate in Senior ISU Championships (ISU European Figure Skating Championships, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships and ISU World Figure Skating Championships) can only be obtained in Senior International Competitions. ...
http://static.isu.org/media/339560/2017-decisions-of-the-isu-council-dubrovnik.pdf (nine-page PDF)
From: http://www.isu.org/en/news-and-events/news/2016/06/isu-56-congress-decisions-of-the-council (Jun 16)​

If the rule had been in effect in 2015-16, Nathan would not have had the TES minimum for Senior Worlds, for example.
(As a fan of Nathan, I am very sorry that his injury prevented him from competing at what would have been his first Senior Worlds.)

(Lest anyone wonder, the old rule re Junior Worlds remains in effect:
... Likewise, the required Minimum Technical Elements Score for the Short Program/Short Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance segment to participate in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can only be obtained in International Junior Competitions ....)

(ETA: IIRC, Nathan already had made his decision known that he will be moving up to Seniors.
But maybe the change will be a factor in the decisions of others??)​

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yet, interestingly, his FS score from Junior Worlds would have outscored all but Javier at Euros. Of course, first he had to botch his SP. He's unpredictable (defeated Shoma during his first outing last season) and at times catastrophic (JGPF). Should fit right in with the rest of the men.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU rule can be met by having the skater compete in a Challenge (for Seniors) or an International B competition (for Seniors/Juniors). If Nathan had not been injured in the Nationals Exhibition, he would have done an International B before Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The ISU rule can be met by having the skater compete in a Challenge (for Seniors) or an International B competition (for Seniors/Juniors). If Nathan had not been injured in the Nationals Exhibition, he would have done an International B before Worlds.

So his post-Nats scenario would have been a Senior international + Junior Worlds + Senior Worlds.

That's a heckuva lot, if you ask me. YMMV.

ETA:
But I take your point that it would be smart for someone like him with her/his sights on Senior Worlds to be sure to get the TES minimum at a Senior international before Nats.
Nathan was on the roster for Tallinn Trophy last November, but he withdrew. (Not that the rule was in effect last year. And not that he will be affected by the rule this year.)​

Last edited:

Giselle

Medalist

That was unexpected! Interesting article where they list their reasonning. They are tall and look mature already so why not get Senior experience already?
AFAIK neither McNamara/Carpenter or Parsons/Parsons have announced if they're turning senior next season and the US has a lot of depth in the Junior ranks. Carreira/Ponomarenko, Biechler/Dodge, Lewis/Bye are good teams, I don't think it would hurt the US too much to have its Top 3 junior ice dance teams moving to senior even if they are still eligible to compete in juniors.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Damian Dodge turned 21 in September 2015, so Biechler/Dodge have aged out of Juniors.