Juniors going Senior | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Juniors going Senior

mrrice

Record Breaker
Emily won't get too far internationally without a triple lutz. She did all the jumps up to flip this past season. She can have a decent debut as a senior in the U.S. without a lutz because of her high-quality skills elsewhere, but she'll definitely need it to move up to the podium in the U.S. and to be competitive nationally.

This is kind of a shock to hear. How could she possibly have one the Junior Championships without a Lutz? Granted, I don't really follow Juniors but Angela Wang had a great Lutz as a junior and doesn't Vivian have a Lutz as well?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is kind of a shock to hear. How could she possibly have one the Junior Championships without a Lutz? Granted, I don't really follow Juniors but Angela Wang had a great Lutz as a junior and doesn't Vivian have a Lutz as well?

Yes, Vivian Le doesn't only have a Lutz, but a really good one that she does in a triple-triple combo.

Emily's strength is clearly her skating quality and the quality of the jumps she does has. She typically scores level 4s and high +GOE on her spins and steps.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, Vivian Le doesn't only have a Lutz, but a really good one that she does in a triple-triple combo.

Emily's strength is clearly her skating quality and the quality of the jumps she does has. She typically scores level 4s and high +GOE on her spins and steps.

Thank you for answering my question. I'm going to have a look at some of Emily's Programs. :thank:

I just watched Emily's "I Will Always Love You" program from nationals and WOW!!!!! They need to get her Lutz ASAP. She is spectacular and she truly has a great feel for the music. Now.....She needs to call me about choosing better music and not because it's Whitney Houston but, because that song has been used by every dance team west, and probably east of the Mississippi. ;)

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think Vivian Le is old enough to move up? In any case, she's young enough that one more in juniors won't be bad for her, though if age-eligible she should definitely move up after the upcoming season. Emily Chan has it all except a 3ltz, but I don't exactly see her as the future of American ladies skating. She's too old, though maybe in a few years after 2018 retirements she could be a solid #3?

I'm soooo hoping Nathan is healthy next season. I want to see him up against Daniel, Shoma, and Boyang!

It surprises me that Sota is moving up, honestly. The depth of Japanese men is crazy, but he can always do senior GP and then junior Worlds, assuming he doesn't qualify for the senior Worlds team.

With Maria Sotskova as the only Russian lady moving up this season, will she make a impact on the senior ladies a la Evgenia? Is she capable of it?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
This is kind of a shock to hear. How could she possibly have one the Junior Championships without a Lutz?

Vivian had a fall. I think both one in the short and another in the long. (Also, while she has the lutz, two of her other jumps are still in the developmental stage. Which makes her very competitive in the short, but not as competitive in the free). And terrifying as it may sound, the rest of the American junior ladies field is not so competitive. Emily skated clean and has the presentation of a mature young lady.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Vivian had a fall. I think both one in the short and another in the long. (Also, while she has the lutz, two of her other jumps are still in the developmental stage. Which makes her very competitive in the short, but not as competitive in the free). And terrifying as it may sound, the rest of the American junior ladies field is not so competitive. Emily skated clean and has the presentation of a mature young lady.

Hopefully Emily will end up hiring a Jump Coach. I certainly remember the days when Ashley Wagner didn't have a triple triple and she was able to up the ante later on her career. With Emily's performance quality I can Imagine her component marks will be quite strong. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on her next season.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

In the SP, I think Vivian did a very good Lutz, but for some reason, didn't do a combo. The solo triple was the 3F.
For the Lutz, she got like -3GOE because it wasn't combo. Had she done a 3Lutz-2Toe, her score would have been at least 4 points higher.

Look at her recent competition. That lutz is HUGE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGUtMlg0pNY

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
In the SP, I think Vivian did a very good Lutz, but for some reason, didn't do a combo. The solo triple was the 3F.
For the Lutz, she got like -3GOE because it wasn't combo. Had she done a 3Lutz-2Toe, her score would have been at least 4 points higher.

Wow, that short program, though the choreography isn't totally natural just yet, really has it all. Looking forward to seeing what she can do this season!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wow, that short program, though the choreography isn't totally natural just yet, really has it all. Looking forward to seeing what she can do this season!

She's packing in the transitions. Transitions before the 3lutz-3toe combo. Transitions before and after the 3f. The edge looks much better. Transitions for 2A.
Good spins, good steps. I think she will be in contention after the SP. Not sure how stable her other jumps are for the LP, though.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She's packing in the transitions. Transitions before the 3lutz-3toe combo. Transitions before and after the 3f. The edge looks much better. Transitions for 2A.
Good spins, good steps. I think she will be in contention after the SP. Not sure how stable her other jumps are for the LP, though.

Hey FlattFan, is Rachael still coaching? I seem to remember that both of her Parents are Doctor's. Is Rachael planning to go into Medicine?

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Anything new on McNamara/Carpenter or the Parsons? I think it might be smart for at least one to compete on the senior circuit this season, just to get some extra experience before the Olympic season. We saw how disastrous a team's first senior season can be with Yanovskaya and Mozgov - I wouldn't want to see either of these teams not live up to their potential when a spot on the Olympic team is up for grabs! In the end, it's up to them, but I'd love to see them at least do a Challenger Series event each.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Hey FlattFan, is Rachael still coaching? I seem to remember that both of her Parents are Doctor's. Is Rachael planning to go into Medicine?

I have no idea. I don't follow Rachael's career after she retired. I bet she's successful at whatever she's doing now.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Anything new on McNamara/Carpenter or the Parsons? I think it might be smart for at least one to compete on the senior circuit this season, just to get some extra experience before the Olympic season. We saw how disastrous a team's first senior season can be with Yanovskaya and Mozgov - I wouldn't want to see either of these teams not live up to their potential when a spot on the Olympic team is up for grabs! In the end, it's up to them, but I'd love to see them at least do a Challenger Series event each.

Just that--as I posted on the GP speculation thread--neither team is signed up for the Chesapeake Open (according to a post on FSU). Last year, essentially the entire U.S. junior field competed there. Currently, Wheaton has a plethora of teams signed up for it, including Gropman & Somerville, Gunter & Wein, and the Greens all competing in the junior event. So, for now at least, McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons are still on the table for competing in the Senior Grand Prix. The Parsons were a late addition to the Chesapeake Open last year so I'd assume both teams could get in late if they wanted. However, the Greens moving up--at least for this event--despite her being too young to compete on the JGP. Very interesting. And maybe something you might do if sensing a vacumn. Or after winning two novice nationals in a row, as they have done.

Last edited:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Just that--as I posted on the GP speculation thread--neither team is signed up for the Chesapeake Open (according to a post on FSU). Last year, essentially the entire U.S. junior field competed there. Currently, Wheaton has a plethora of teams signed up for it, including Gropman & Somerville, Gunter & Wein, and the Greens all competing in the junior event. So, for now at least, McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons are still on the table for competing in the Senior Grand Prix. The Parsons were a late addition to the Chesapeake Open last year so I'd assume both teams could get in late if they wanted. However, the Greens moving up--at least for this event--despite her being too young to compete on the JGP. Very interesting. And maybe something you might do if sensing a vacumn. Or after winning two novice nationals in a row, as they have done.

Interesting... thanks for the info! :) Looks like we'll have to wait for the GP announcements in order to find out what their plans are!

FSGMT

Record Breaker

If she can skate like that internationally, she can surely be a contender for the top spots, so she definitely should try to do her best as a Junior and earn a good reputation. What I still don't like about her skating, though, is the lack of spontaneity and fluidity that most of her movements show, she is so mechanical... But she's slowly upping the ante for sure!
And, BTW, this is the typical American-lady-of-the-90s program!!

andromache

Record Breaker
If she can skate like that internationally, she can surely be a contender for the top spots, so she definitely should try to do her best as a Junior and earn a good reputation. What I still don't like about her skating, though, is the lack of spontaneity and fluidity that most of her movements show, she is so mechanical... But she's slowly upping the ante for sure!
And, BTW, this is the typical American-lady-of-the-90s program!!

What a great program! She's not the most expressive skater, but her movements are still aesthetically attractive (she doesn't seem to struggle with stiffness like Gracie Gold, for example.)

concorde

Medalist
Just that--as I posted on the GP speculation thread--neither team is signed up for the Chesapeake Open (according to a post on FSU).

The Chesapeake Open is now a qualifier for the National Solo Dance Series - I believe this is new for year. If that is the case, I am not surprised alot of top dance teams did not sign up.

I am curious who signed up for the Edward G. Pickens Dance (local to WFSC) which is being held this upcoming weekend in Reston. If I remember correctly from last year, the Parsons were there.

Just got back from working that event - the highest dance team was Novice.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
What a great program! She's not the most expressive skater, but her movements are still aesthetically attractive (she doesn't seem to struggle with stiffness like Gracie Gold, for example.)

I think she and Gracie circa 2012-2014 have the exact same problem. Stiffness. Programs look forced. She also has a short history of not delivering when people expected her to dominate the US Jr. championship 2 years in a row.
I think we might have a Gracie jr. on our hand. For now, I'm just loving those big lutzes.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think she and Gracie circa 2012-2014 have the exact same problem. Stiffness. Programs look forced. She also has a short history of not delivering when people expected her to dominate the US Jr. championship 2 years in a row.
I think we might have a Gracie jr. on our hand. For now, I'm just loving those big lutzes.
Yes, the similarities are quite impressive, but I still prefer Vivian to a 2012 Gracie artistically: her programs are more refined and she definitely shows more involvement in whats she's performing.