Best skaters who won only one world title | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best skaters who won only one world title

I vote Midori Ito in ladies, Anissina & Peizerat in dance, Daisuke Takahashi in men's, Volosozhar & Trankov in pairs (also don't forget Kovarikova & Novotny, while not an all-time best I liked their style of skating a lot)

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat

They won the Olympics two years later, but only one Worlds (2000). They could have won four. Their results in 1999 and 2001 were close, and they opted to retire in 2002 prior to Worlds.

I think they deserved to win 1998, 1999, 2000. It should have gone to Drobiazko/Vanagas in 2001, though. It's too bad the Lithuanians went back to their previous year's program because of the ridiculous judging (they should have won everything that year with their amazing tango) but it was still the best of the competition. Oh, and the Italians should have been 5th place in 2001. They deserved a Bronze in 2000 and nothing more.

Povilas Vanagas is one of the best ice dancers ever, so ridiculous how he and his wife were treated. I believe they should have been on the podium in every event they entered from 1999 through 2002 and should have won 2006 Europeans as well.

Giselle

Medalist
Most of them have been mentionned already, the most obvious for me being Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat but I would like to add:

Tai Babilonia / Randy Gardner
Irina Lobacheva / Ilia Averbukh to a certain extend : I don't think they should have won in 2003 because I really didn't like their FD, but I do think that Averbukh was a great skater and the best that year.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One world title - Brian Orser, Midori ito, Todd Eldredge, Yuka Sato, Jeff Buttle, Deloebel & Schoenfelder, Bourne & Kraatz, Brasseur & Eisler

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
The biggest one for me is Daisuke Takahashi, who won his World title in 2010. An amazing skater and one of my all-time favorites.

Other notables:
Brian Joubert 2007
Yuzuru Hanyu 2014
Volosozhar/Trankov 2013

But obviously the last two more might still earn more!

Cannot believe it but it is true: V/T.

2011 Silver at first worlds
2012 S/S won by only 0,11
2013 superior World title
2014 did not take part after OS
2015 did not take part
2016 6th place and a Russian desaster

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Putin! Putin! Politics! Politics!???? lol

What Putin? What politics? I was wating for something like this.... :dev2:

First of all: Plushy clearly beat Yagudin on those Russain Championships despite the facts he was almost 3 years younger as Alexei. Yagudin whined in the American media that Plushenko beat him because Plushenko is the Rus Fed's favorite. You can check it here RussianNationals channel. There are some early videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI-0t5jV2pLn1kftyOluqYA
For example Rus Nat 2000
Plushenko : 4T-3T-2Lo, 3A-3T, FC(camel spin), 3A, CiSt, 3Lz, Butterfly, Biellmann Spiral, 3F, some spin, 2S, 3Lo, some spin, CCo
Yagudin:3A-3T, 2T, 3A, FS, 3F-3T(step out), 3Lo, CCo, CiSt, FS, Spread eagle, 3Lz, 3S, CCo
What do you think? Who should have won?
Maybe they were in similar shape on Rus Nat 1999.

And yes, Plushenko is a big favorite athlete of Putin ( why not? he was very loyal to Russia, he didn't leave it because of the "greener field", he brought so many glories for Russia), they admire each other. But Yagudin works for this status so hardly. Read his Twitter account he often supported Putin's policies there, but you never read polical tweets in Pushenko's account..

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
What Putin? What politics? I was wating for something like this.... :dev2:

First of all: Plushy clearly beat Yagudin on those Russain Championships despite the facts he was almost 3 years younger as Alexei. Yagudin whined in the American media that Plushenko beat him because Plushenko is the Rus Fed's favorite. You can check it here RussianNationals channel. There are some early videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI-0t5jV2pLn1kftyOluqYA
For example Rus Nat 2000
Plushenko : 4T-3T-2Lo, 3A-3T, FC(camel spin), 3A, CiSt, 3Lz, Butterfly, Biellmann Spiral, 3F, some spin, 2S, 3Lo, some spin, CCo
Yagudin:3A-3T, 2T, 3A, FS, 3F-3T(step out), 3Lo, CCo, CiSt, FS, Spread eagle, 3Lz, 3S, CCo
What do you think? Who should have won?
Maybe they were in similar shape on Rus Nat 1999.

And yes, Plushenko is a big favorite athlete of Putin ( why not? he was very loyal to Russia, he didn't leave it because of the "greener field", he brought so many glories for Russia), they admire each other. But Yagudin works for this status so hardly. Read his Twitter account he often supported Putin's policies there, but you never read polical tweets in Pushenko's account..

Plus, Plushenko is sweet as candy and a good dancer. ;) Seriously though, I certainly have never met Plushy but, I have observed and basically stalked him in 2001 at Worlds. One of the perks of working for Coca Cola is that you get to go into areas that most people don't have access to. At Worlds in 2001, the things that stood out to me were Jennifer Robinson's absolute beauty and how tall she was for a skater. I remember Raf and that dreamy Alexander (Sasha) Apt. Sasha was wearing a bodysuit that had so much bling on it that it reflected off the walls in the hallway. I remember staring at Todd Eldredge until my friend hit me and said..."Dude, snap out of it!"

Plushy was very calm and polite when screaming girls would come up to him and he basically got mobbed everywhere he went. You can't hear it on TV but, when the skaters are getting their final words before they take the ice. The crowd is ridiculously loud. Especially for Elvis Stojko. Lastly, that David Pelletier and Anton Sikharulidze are both very good looking. Like GQ Model Handsome.

I almost forgot.........You know who else was there...........Maria, my beautiful skating wife. :love:

Last edited:

DexterK

On the Ice
Oksana's 1993 WC title in Prague. I wish she would have continued competitively through 1998, though I suppose the motivation would have been hard to conjure especially with a changing body, Kwan's formidable consistency and choreography, and Lipinski's technical content.

Weathergal

Medalist
I think they deserved to win 1998, 1999, 2000. It should have gone to Drobiazko/Vanagas in 2001, though. It's too bad the Lithuanians went back to their previous year's program because of the ridiculous judging (they should have won everything that year with their amazing tango) but it was still the best of the competition. Oh, and the Italians should have been 5th place in 2001. They deserved a Bronze in 2000 and nothing more.

Povilas Vanagas is one of the best ice dancers ever, so ridiculous how he and his wife were treated. I believe they should have been on the podium in every event they entered from 1999 through 2002 and should have won 2006 Europeans as well.

I was always a big Drobiazko/Vanagas fan and never understood why they weren't on the podium more or higher on the podium than they were. I've seen discussions about what skaters might have done better under 6.0, but for them, I wonder if they would have done better under CoP. I don't like to get too caught up in that sort of thing, but it's hard not to wonder, especially since there's much more movement and uncertainty in ice dance these days.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Pairs - Wotzel and Steuer (one of my favorite teams that I always felt were underrated)
Ice Dance - Anissina and Peizerat
Men - Hanyu, Petrenko, Orser (hopefully Hanyu will win again before his career ends)
Ladies - Lipinski, Baiul (both retired so young)

Best to have never won a world title - Cohen and Kulik

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was always a big Drobiazko/Vanagas fan and never understood why they weren't on the podium more or higher on the podium than they were. I've seen discussions about what skaters might have done better under 6.0, but for them, I wonder if they would have done better under CoP. I don't like to get too caught up in that sort of thing, but it's hard not to wonder, especially since there's much more movement and uncertainty in ice dance these days.

I think that them representing small country without power and influence of its position in skating word did not help either. I liked Lithuanians and I think that they were underappreciated by the judges too, though there were few things that bugged me little bit in them like their frequent, rough pulling & wrenching of each other that was not so easy on the eye. I suspect that it had more common with their choreography than with shortcomings in their technique or in unison though.

Last edited:

glorybox6

Final Flight
I liked Lithuanians and I think that they were underappreciated by the judges too, though there were few things that bugged me little bit in them like their frequent, rough pulling & wrenching of each other that was not so easy on the eye. I suspect that it had more common with their choreography than with shortcomings in their technique or in unison though.

That's true, though I think that their glide and flow (especially his, but also hers towards the end of their career) was among the best of all the teams. They had a rare excitement and quality to their skating that reminds me of what P/C are bringing to the table now -- that extra spark. I never got to see them skate live -- anyone know how their speed and ice coverage compared to other teams at the time?

I think my favorite FD of theirs was actually the 1999 Sunrise at Alcatraz one. Truly a masterpiece. I got pretty bored with Spente La Stelle by the time they were done with it.

noskates

Record Breaker
Yuka Sato. I remember Scott Hamilton saying that she was a "skater's skater" and that you rarely heard her blades on the ice because she was so light and smooth. I believe she won her World title in an Olympic year and several of the top skaters had chosen not to skate Worlds. It's always been a pleasure to watch her skate.