Will this be the year for Sasha Cohen? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Will this be the year for Sasha Cohen?

mpal2

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
MK just hasn't really competed enough in the past two years, IMO, to be considered still in the game. If she really wanted to take a break, IMO she might as well just have taken the year (s) off. This has resulted in her (for the time being) being surpassed by others, and therefore why she isn't 1st anymore.

I'm not completely certain on this, but I remember some interviews on why she wasn't competing as much. She said she had talked with friends and they advised her that it would be too hard to come back if she took a complete break from the competitive scene. She also said that these friends had told her she would know when she was ready to stop competing. This was during the COI tour so I believe those friends would include Elvis Stoiko and Brian Boitano. It wouldn't surprise me if Elvis was the one advising her to not make a complete break. Look at what happened to Todd Eldredge when he stopped competing and came back. I remember seeing some quotes from him on how difficult it was to come back after being completely out of the Nationals/Worlds loop.

I don't believe that Michelle has been pounding out 3/3's left and right on what I term her "mini-break" (although she probably started working on new combos) but her basics have improved quite a bit. How many times have we heard that last 5% is the hardest improvement to make and I have noticed improvement. I believe that she is working on the core and working back up to a tremendous techincal arsenal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She said she had talked with friends and they advised her that it would be too hard to come back if she took a complete break from the competitive scene.

If that's correct then my guess would be that she DID want to take a break, but was afraid that if she took a COMPLETE break, then if she wanted to attempt a comeback it would be too hard. Maybe her "break" is now over and she is striving to be on top again.

Maybe she had this in mind from 2002...or maybe she is just "taking it one step at a time" :rolleye:

This is a little bit off-topic, but there was a reminder in the paper today of how hard it is in any sport to stay on top year after year. Marion Jones, winner of five Olympic medals in 2000, finished fifth in the 100 meters at the trials and did not make the team this year. (She still has a chance in the long jump.)

Anyway, back on topic. No one can tell the future of course, but since this thread asks for our predictions, here's mine. Yes, I think this will be the year that Sasha puts it all together and wins the world championship. Just a hunch.

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
Marion Jones is also dealing with the stress of testifying in front of a tribunal concerning drug use. Maybe her fifth place is a result of having to lay off the steroids so she won't arouse suspicion.

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
Anyway, back on topic. No one can tell the future of course, but since this thread asks for our predictions, here's mine. Yes, I think this will be the year that Sasha puts it all together and wins the world championship. Just a hunch.

Mathman

It is my hunch too, and I can find a logical explanation for it. Sasha has been progressing through the years, instead of becoming an instant shooting star, as was expected when she arrived on the FS scene at age 15. She actually made the 2002 Olympic team without even going to worlds, and she was in 3rd place in the SP, in position to WIN the OGM! Naturally that raised a lot of expectations. Her 4th place finishes came as disappointments and were considered 'failures' because she was viewed as the next great one. She has simply been going through the learning process. Under TT's tutelage she improved a lot as a skater, and started winning competitions, instead of just medalling. After the switch to Robin she won the world silver medal, although her LP was not among the best. She could have won the gold, had she learned to not be afraid. I think every failure is a part of the learning process and Sasha is slowly learning how to win. IMO she is at a point where she can win the big one- worlds 2005. I see that as a part of her progression through the years. Will that lead to the OGM? It is hard to tell. That could be the next big hurdle for her. If she learns to handle the white hot pressure of the Olympics, she could win even without a quad or a 3-3 combo, although either one will ensure her win. She will have to give it her all though, considering the competition she will be facing (Michelle, Irina, Shizuka, Miki, Carolina, and a few others). It's going to be an interesting couple of years.

BTW I am not a Sasha fan. This is just how I see it.

Vash

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mathman said:

Mathman
I had the strongest hunch last season that Sasha would win Nationals and Worlds. There was no doubt in my mind. Usually my hunches are right on; I was very confused when this one was wrong. I am going to try not have hunches anymore :p .

registered said:
"Shizuka has no art" isn't a bash, just an opinion (just like statement "Cohen has no art"). IF you do take such verbatim as a trash talk, than no wonder that's most of pre or post competition net gossip seems like an endless stream of "trashing" to you. If we are to consider innocent remarks, like "so-and-so is the best" to be a "mean spirited bash," than we're just better ban skating boards all together.

Registered - Trust me, when I offer some 'corrective criticism' I will get several PMs asking me to use the IMO form because an opnion is not understood. I find some fans extemeley sensitive to certain skaters. Not at all like the arguments that go between the Yankee fans and the Mets fans.

It's a very delicate line one speaks in figure skating; not at all like a man to man argument in prize fighting. Oh, I know I am a sexist. :laugh:

Joe

Hi Red Dog - Oh so many Maybes!! All of I can thing of is 'so what?' In the past two years MK has skated 4 Cheesefests; 2 Nationals; 2 Worlds and medalled at everyone of them. I sould say she missed the GPs - so what?

Vash -I agree with most of what you said. Sasha is no Tara (I'll get PMs for not saying imo. :eek:) And she is a very talented young lady whom I think could win the Worlds 2005. But I would never predict it. Too many very talented young ladies in that competition. And there is the two who wont quit; one of whom will be skating on her home grounds. If I was giving race track odds, I would say there are seven skaters geared to win,; my odds 7-6 for all of them. it will be a humdinger but I find the Men singles more interesting.

The seven Ladies, I see as gold contenders: Sasha, Irina, La Kwan, Shizuka, Carolina, Miki Ando, a dark horse.

Joe

Joe, I'll nominate Yukina Ota :love: in the dark horse category. But she has to make the Japanese team first!

MM

Mathman said:
Joe, I'll nominate Yukina Ota :love: in the dark horse category. But she has to make the Japanese team first!

MM

Mathman - You knew what I was thinking: Yukina or Bebe both of whom have the tough task of their own Nationals. :(

Joe

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Registered - Trust me, when I offer some 'corrective criticism' I will get several PMs asking me to use the IMO form because an opnion is not understood. I find some fans extemeley sensitive to certain skaters.
Joe
Joe, I agree with you about "IMO" clarification. But how'd we to know it wasn't used in the first place? Frankly, we don't know where comment on Shizuka came from, nor the exact content of the post (and substance could be mangled badly, when some gets quoted out of context). I hope you didn't really buy into the diatribe about the big, mean Sashafans being on the mission to "get" Shizuka. To think of it, the only skating board, where she was treated with meanness was MKF (and that was too rather subdued), which is strange, since it took many years for Arakawa to win anything big. No complains about letting down on fan's expectations, waste of talent, etc., quite a contrast, comparing to the treatment of Cohen.

registered

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
All of I can thing of is 'so what?' In the past two years MK has skated 4 Cheesefests; 2 Nationals; 2 Worlds and medalled at everyone of them
Joe

And that's a great point, Joe. To paraphrase you, for the past 2 seasons Cohen, who haven't skipped the GP's have skated in twice more competitions, than Kwan. Sasha have medalled in all but one of them (2003 Words). She didn't have a decent season? Gimme a break!

registered said:
And that's a great point, Joe. To paraphrase you, for the past 2 seasons Cohen, who haven't skipped the GP's have skated in twice more competitions, than Kwan. Sasha have medalled in all but one of them (2003 Words). She didn't have a decent season? Gimme a break!

C'mon now, Registered - I did not mention Sasha having a bad season. I saw her QR and SP Live in Dortmund and she was terrific in both and to hell with the GPs. The GPs for me are a good practice ground for the Worlds (and Olys).

My only excursions to the MKF forum is to get the TV schedule. I went to the Sasha Forum once several years ago and (this is not a bash) I was gushedout. Neither Forums interest me and I can't stand Predictions which only show a vote for a favorite. There is no serious thinking in terms of a sport. Oh, dear, should I have put an IMO there?

BTW - IMO opinion (note the imo) I see Irina CoPing the Worlds if she is on. She is Shizuka's and Sasha's main rival in this one. MK is the dark horse. Oh I better put IMO or the MK fans will be after me.

Thinking about the OLYS, there is Carolina!!! who will be everyone's rival..

Joe

Last edited:
One thing for sure. If you want to get the last laugh on all of your Internet enemies, just keep saying year after year, so-and-so (Michelle, Sasha, Michael Weiss, whoever) is over the hill. If you keep saying it long enough, one year you'll be right!

Mathman :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
C'mon now, Registered - I did not mention Sasha having a bad season. I saw her QR and SP Live in Dortmund and she was terrific in both and to hell with the GPs. The GPs for me are a good practice ground for the Worlds (and Olys).

AAMOF, I think this was her best season to date. It appears that she is continuing to improve...slowly, but an improvement nonetheless.

BTW - IMO opinion (note the imo) I see Irina CoPing the Worlds if she is on. She is Shizuka's and Sasha's main rival in this one. MK is the dark horse. Oh I better put IMO or the MK fans will be after me.

Thinking about the OLYS, there is Carolina!!! who will be everyone's rival..

I see MK more as "the underdog" now...a contender with a chance (to win) but not really "in it" so to speak. Actually I think Irina is more or less in the same position as MK- she has been unable to compete due to her illness and is playing "catch up" now. The real dark horses, IMO, are some of the Japanese ladies.

Poor Carolina! Will she be able to live up to all this hype?

S

SkateFan4Life

Lucy25 said:
I had the strongest hunch last season that Sasha would win Nationals and Worlds. There was no doubt in my mind. Usually my hunches are right on; I was very confused when this one was wrong. I am going to try not have hunches anymore :p .

I had the same hunches last year, based on all the media hype about Sasha. How many times has she appeared on the cover of major figure skating magazines? EVERYBODY, it seemed, had crowned her the next queen of ice skating, and, well, I went along for the ride. It was not to be.

IMHO, Sasha will not win a US title until Michelle Kwan retires from eligible competition. Kwan has a lock on that title. As for the Worlds, there are too many other skaters right now - Kwan, Arakawa, etc. - who skate well under pressure - and Cohen won't win that title, either, unless she learns to triumph over her competitive nerves.

Fossi

Final Flight
I'm sorry. I tend to think of it as a "fluke" or a skate of a lifetime for Sasha when she skates clean. She just doesn't do it often enough. Once? I hope she proves me wrong someday, but everyone always calls Sarah's clean skate at SLC a "fluke," and I think Sasha's clean skate was more a a "fluke" than Sarah's victory.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Fossi said:
I'm sorry. I tend to think of it as a "fluke" or a skate of a lifetime for Sasha when she skates clean. She just doesn't do it often enough. Once? I hope she proves me wrong someday, but everyone always calls Sarah's clean skate at SLC a "fluke," and I think Sasha's clean skate was more a a "fluke" than Sarah's victory.
Apples and Oranges.

Sarah was very consistant and skated clean on many occasions. She was however, never picked as a favorite to win and often finished behind other skaters despite skating clean. Therefor, her winning was considered a "fluke" by many, not her skating clean.

Sasha, OTOH, almost never, if ever, skates clean, yet she is often hyped as the favorite to win. ITA that a clean skate from Sasah would be a "fluke" in that it's not her usual performance, but I wouldn't call a win by Sasha a "fluke" as she goes into almost every comp these days as the favorite to win despite not being able to pull it off.

I really can't write Sasha off for being inconsistent, and by the way, she is not always inconsistent. She has had some wonderful skates since she jumped on the scene back in Cleveland,. Nicks and TT were not able to get her full consistency. She isn't doing anything not well rehearsed to to have her fumble. I believe it has to be a mindset. Let's not only give Sasha a chance, but let's give Robin a chance to see if they can work this mindset out. Personally, I really don't think she needs a pep talk. I think it would more to her advantage to relax and just feel good about doing the things she can do and not worry about the skating of others.

IMO, Sasha is a very good skater but she should be an excellent competitor too, but I don't see it yet. I think this season will be very telling.

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
Apples and Oranges.
Sarah was very consistant and skated clean on many occasions. She was however, never picked as a favorite to win and often finished behind other skaters despite skating clean. Therefor, her winning was considered a "fluke" by many, not her skating clean.
QUOTE]

Agreed. I think most people forget how consistant Sarah really was. Technically perfect? No, but she was very consistant with her jumps, especially her 3/3's. I know people are going to think, "Yeah, but they were always underrotated!", but hey, she was doing them none the less.