Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2016 Golden Bear
Oct 27-30, 2016
Zagreb, Croatia

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Congratulations to Starr Andrews for being selected to her first international competition! She did remarkably well in Salt Lake City earlier in the month thus qualifying for the ISP and subsequent selection to Golden Bear 2016. Ashley Kim was also selected to compete. Neither girl should have any problem making the podium and this tier two competition should give them both the confidence they need going in to Sectionals the following month.

I should also congratulate Pooja Kalyan (and the other 2 US Novice competitors) for being selected to compete at Golden Bear. I say congrats specifically to Pooja as she is a little older, been "stuck" at the same level for a while despite being a beautiful skater, very graceful, gentle and flows on the ice with remarkable body control and wonderful transitions. What's her problem then? Well, she just hasn't been able to get her jumps. Her skating skills are certainly more impressive than both Junior girls competing for the US in this event, but at Novice and Junior you need the jumps. I believe if Pooja can stay healthy and get her jumps (2 deal breakers, right!) she will be a top competitor at the Senior level in a couple of years.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
I just saw Kaitlyn, Ashley Kim, Pooja, Audry Shin and Starr have been assigned here. I'm so relieved that Ashley's injury in the JGP wasn't serious enough to take her out of nationals! I can't wait to see them all!

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I just saw Kaitlyn, Ashley Kim, Pooja, Audry Shin and Starr have been assigned here. I'm so relieved that Ashley's injury in the JGP wasn't serious enough to take her out of nationals! I can't wait to see them all!

Just to clarify, Ashley wasn't injured in the JGP, she unfortunately was nursing a sore ankle before going to the JGP and probably s/h withdrawn giving the opportunity to another US competitor. Somewhat presumptuous of you to think that she is going to qualify for Nationals when Regionals/Sectionals has not even started, though I do you think you are correct, lol, especially with Kaitlyn and Gabrielle no longer in Midwestern Sectionals, though that is another thread, lol.....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just to clarify, Ashley wasn't injured in the JGP, she unfortunately was nursing a sore ankle before going to the JGP and probably s/h withdrawn giving the opportunity to another US competitor. Somewhat presumptuous of you to think that she is going to qualify for Nationals when Regionals/Sectionals has not even started, though I do you think you are correct, lol, especially with Kaitlyn and Gabrielle no longer in Midwestern Sectionals, though that is another thread, lol.....

I don't think she was assuming she would get into nationals. Simply that the injury wasn't serious enough to keep her out of national competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just to clarify, Ashley wasn't injured in the JGP, she unfortunately was nursing a sore ankle before going to the JGP and probably s/h withdrawn giving the opportunity to another US competitor....

For the record:

Ashley Kim was not replaced for JGP Yokohama. No one had the opportunity to compete in her place.
I am not criticizing her. Just want to set the record straight.

Ashley traveled to Yokohama -- and clearly appeared in several photos of Team USA that were taken there.
The photos were posted in GS threads at the time. One photo was published on IN, one was on Michael Parson's Instagram, and I forget the source of another one.

Ashley withdrew on Sep 7. The Ladies SP was on Sep 9.

Gabby Noullet was a replacement for Haley Beavers, who had withdrawn on Aug 31.

http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/jgpjpn2016/

Congratulations to all the ladies for their Golden Bear assignments :).

frida80

Record Breaker

I don't think she was assuming she would get into nationals. Simply that the injury wasn't serious enough to keep her out of national competition.

You're right Mrs. P, I wasn't saying she was going to nationals, but that she had she still had a chance. With junior skaters I simply cheer for them all and don't take sides. I love seeing potential, so it's great to see Ashley still competing this year. For thr record, there was a lot if speculation about why she didn't compete on the Yokohama thread, with no definite answers. All I knew is she as injuried. That could mean a broken ankle, stress fracture, concussion, or as you said a sore ankle. Thank you for clarifying why she was withdrawn at last.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Just some numbers: :scratch2:

61 junior ladies :eekn:
43 senior ladies :confused:
41 advanced novice girls :scratch:
71 basic novices A I, II :palmf:

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The link I posted to the schedule above is no longer working. The new link with the number of competitors in each category is below.

Schedule

frida80

Record Breaker

Wow at least three of these competitions are scheduled for more that SEVEN hours! I hope they scheduled more that ice resurfacing breaks for the judges.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Looks like there's already been some dropouts (54 Junior Ladies entries actually listed, and 36 Senior Ladies). Still a lot of entries, but at least 1 rotation less in each group.