2016 Golden Bear | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Golden Bear

frida80

Record Breaker
Actually I think she may have done a summer comp as a senior... so show knows.

This is her first year junior. I checked on Sylvia's list and she only has her listed in junior. Maybe something fell through the cracks?

I did see that she scored 142 in Glacial Falls in August. She's improved a lot in a short amount of time. Plus she is really focused as well. Most girls have a rough outing in their first international comp. it's a lot to take in. The time difference, seeing a different country, different food, different rink, and the excitement of finally competing or Team USA. It's easy to get distracted. She just went in and got the job done.

Although she popped her Lutz and Flip. If she had landed both of those she could've increased her score by 10 points. I hope can she fix them before sectionals/nationals.

Poor Ashley Kim. Clearly she's still recovering from being off ice for a while. She had a 3F+3T. Sigh... She worked so hard to get that combo too... This is really sad. I'm going to cross my fingers that she manages to get her jumps back soon.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
This is her first year junior. I checked on Sylvia's list and she only has her listed in junior. Maybe something fell through the cracks?

I did see that she scored 142 in Glacial Falls in August. She's improved a lot in a short amount of time. Plus she is really focused as well. Most girls have a rough outing in their first international comp. it's a lot to take in. The time difference, seeing a different country, different food, different rink, and the excitement of finally competing or Team USA. It's easy to get distracted. She just went in and got the job done.

Although she popped her Lutz and Flip. If she had landed both of those she could've increased her score by 10 points. I hope can she fix them before sectionals/nationals.

Poor Ashley Kim. Clearly she's still recovering from being off ice for a while. She had a 3F+3T. Sigh... She worked so hard to get that combo too... This is really sad. I'm going to cross my fingers that she manages to get her jumps back soon.

Lets not forget this was a club event, an international club event. I am a big Starr fan but let's not get ahead of ourselves. She competed with a field that was not that strong and the scores reflect this and in IMO her score was clearly inflated. Getting a 108 without any big 3-3 combo while also popping 2 other jumps is a little out of the ordinary, scoring wise. She cannot control how the judges score her so nothing can be said about her performance, I am just so happy that she almost skated clean and got some important international exposure. The true test will be Sectionals and (cross fingers) Nationals. If she can skate clean and place well, she will be on the right path.

Ashley has consistently been inconsistent over the years. She was ready for this competition but was unable to execute. I do not think she will have much trouble making it to Nationals as there are not many girls in the Midwest that can challenge her for a top 4 placement.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm confused. She did a 3S-3T-2t plus a 2a-3T in the second half. Those are big point getters. Maybe not as big as Lutz or flip combos but still impressive. I agree it's best to let her develop though and yes she needs to master flip and Lutz.

She will stand out in juniors for sure.

frida80

Record Breaker
I think Starr's focus should be sectionals and Nationals. Popping two jumps could cost her a title if she's not careful. I worry about skaters getting hyped early. I'm all for letting her get more experience first.

A 3S+3T combo is worth 8.7 BV 3Lz+3T is 10.3 and a 3F+3T is 9.6. These points add up fast. Though I like that 5 jumps are in the second half.

You seem to know a lot about Ashley. Do you know what's going on with her jumps?

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Starr is a very good competitor and a good skater, I am convinced that she will continue to improve and get stronger year over year. She is clearly trying to find what jumps she is most comfortable with and also will generate the most points. I applaud her Team for understanding that doing big point getters and doing them well will get you more points than trying to do the bigger point getters and not doing them so well (especially at the junior level where there is no bonus) - jumps will come as long as you have the proper technique. Junior level Nationals is important but getting the experience and building on that experience is much more valuable in the long run. I just hope she keeps her eye on the big prize.

As I've said before, Ashley is not a natural jumper and is a very inconsistent skater all around. The lack of technique often gets the best of an athlete over time and I think that is what we are seeing. Having the jumps but not getting much GOE tends to be a tell-all by the judges who are determining the quality of the jump, not just being able to do the jump itself.

While talking about technique, though a little off topic, I see that Haley Beavers made it to Sectionals but not much talk about her this year despite having several comps under her belt before her injury. She is the Novice Champion who torched all competitors last year and it looks like most of those competitors have since moved up to the Junior level. IMO, the Juniors are rather weak this year as I do not see any Junior lady who is ready to make the jump into the Senior ranks next year, though it s/b an interesting Nationals.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
One thing I noticed about the protocols is that Starr garnered a lot of point in GOE compared to the other ladies. Many lost points off of their start value of only got a couple points of GOE but Starr made it work for her and should be proud of what she accomplished here.

I generally would rather see lesser value combos/jumps performed well and meriting positive GOE than eaked out 3Z+3Ts... so Starr is kinda my kind of skater.

I would like to see her get some more experience somewhere somehow. I think it was the Bavarian Open last year that USFSA reserved some spots post nationals for skaters who many need minimum TES. I think an event/situation like that would be good for her. But as has been pointed out... it would be nice to see her with some competition. Id like to see her get the chance to skate on ice with some of the big name Russian Juniors so she can start getting the feel for it.

Starr has potential, but I do think getting experience competing is something she needs right now to foster that potential. Learning how to compete is a skill just as important as learning the big tricks...and is someways much harder to learn, and get a chance to practice/improve upon.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Great point, I am just not convinced that +GOE was the result of the quality of the jump itself as much as it was to do with the overall lack of other skaters not being able to do the jump themselves. I would also like to see her compete with some better international skaters and that was my point, I just do not think she is there yet. Being at a JGP where top talent is throwing around the big 3-3s is much more intimidating and adds significantly more pressure to the skater than being at Golden Bear or even Bavarian Open (we saw that with Haley and Alexia getting Gold/Silver in their first international competition but then Alexia having trouble later at the JGP).

With all that said, great job Starr - Sectionals and Nationals will give her that much needed experience - keep up the hard work, it will all pay off as long as she continues to grow year over year and stays focused on technique.

frida80

Record Breaker
While talking about technique, though a little off topic, I see that Haley Beavers made it to Sectionals but not much talk about her this year despite having several comps under her belt before her injury. She is the Novice Champion who torched all competitors last year and it looks like most of those competitors have since moved up to the Junior level. IMO, the Juniors are rather weak this year as I do not see any Junior lady who is ready to make the jump into the Senior ranks next year, though it s/b an interesting Nationals.

Haley Beavers? I think she's having an "off" year, to be honest. At the Philedephia Championships, she got a season high of 134.58. At Glacial Falls, she had a rough short and W/D from the free. Then she W/D from her JGP and scored 128.31 in regionals about a month ago. Her scores aren't in the top 10 highest junior scores. However, I give all skaters the benefit of the doubt. Last year, she wasn't on my radar at nationals because her regional and sectional scores weren't as high as others and her layout didn't have a Lutz, Flip, or 3+3. She just came out of no where. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, I'm afraid. Sometimes the stress of being a national champ takes its toll.

frida80

Record Breaker
Great point, I am just not convinced that +GOE was the result of the quality of the jump itself as much as it was to do with the overall lack of other skaters not being able to do the jump themselves. I would also like to see her compete with some better international skaters and that was my point, I just do not think she is there yet. Being at a JGP where top talent is throwing around the big 3-3s is much more intimidating and adds significantly more pressure to the skater than being at Golden Bear or even Bavarian Open (we saw that with Haley and Alexia getting Gold/Silver in their first international competition but then Alexia having trouble later at the JGP).

With all that said, great job Starr - Sectionals and Nationals will give her that much needed experience - keep up the hard work, it will all pay off as long as she continues to grow year over year and stays focused on technique.

Both Haley and Alexia had rough skates at Spring Gardena. They scored 131 and 135 repectively. So, even though I'm proud of their accomplishment here, there was no real competition for them. Like I said before, a skater's first international competition can be stressful. A new country, new culture, brand new Team USA jackets, different rinks, and all the excitement can distract skaters. Add in that both of them were novices skating in their very first junior level competition, so mistakes are expected. Alexia did have problems in her JGP, but she scored nearly 15 points higher than she did in Spring Gardena.

You bring an interesting question that I've thought about for a while. It's clear that many girls at the novice and junior level are not being challenged enough. The way skating is in the country, many of the top girls are spread out throughout the nation and never see each other unless it's at nationals. I think competitions like Philadelphia Champs, Skate Detroit, and Glacier Falls helps, but I don't think it's enough.

Plus we only send a few girls with potential to Spring Gardena after nationals. I think USFSA needs to push more so that juniors have more opportunities to compete with skaters on their level and more chances to skate internationally. I counted and there are more than 40 competitions that Juniors can compete in, other than the JGP. Some of them used by Korea and Russia to get their skaters more experience. It may be a good idea to send more high scoring skaters to international competitions, potentially with these skaters. They won't no what their up against until they see it in person.

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Does anyone have results that only come up with SP for advanced novice...not free or total?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
No this is still without results in advanced novice in the free program and total results of the same category!

What you asked sounded like you were asking for SP results, which is why I posted the links to the SP results.

If you are actually asking if the FS and Overall results pages weren't working for others, then yes, those pages are not updated for me either. You can look at the protocols for each segment and total the scores yourself if you wish, since the protocols are there.

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
What you asked sounded like you were asking for SP results, which is why I posted the links to the SP results.

If you are actually asking if the FS and Overall results pages weren't working for others, then yes, those pages are not updated for me either. You can look at the protocols for each segment and total the scores yourself if you wish, since the protocols are there.

Im sorry, didnt mean for my request to sound confusing but Im not english speaking :) yes Im looking for final results but rather wont have to calculate and was wondering if this was just my computer or is anyone was having the same problem

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Im sorry, didnt mean for my request to sound confusing but Im not english speaking :) yes Im looking for final results but rather wont have to calculate and was wondering if this was just my computer or is anyone was having the same problem

Lol it's fine. I was just really confused for a sec on what you were asking. Glad I could clarify that you're not the only one with the issue.

deneb

On the Ice
Does anyone have results that only come up with SP for advanced novice...not free or total?

Lol it's fine. I was just really confused for a sec on what you were asking. Glad I could clarify that you're not the only one with the issue.

Results are online since a few days ago but the pages have a caching issue so if you visited them before they were updated you still see no result.
Try to refresh each page or, if it doesn't work, clean your browser cache before reopening them.