2016 Canadian National Summer Series | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian National Summer Series

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
from the website:

Objectives
The intent of the Skate Canada National Summer Series is to raise the level of skating across the country by rewarding consistent performances and by providing an opportunity for skaters from each part of the country to compete against each other.

Overview
The Skate Canada National Summer Series (NSS) will launch in the summer of 2016, and will include all disciplines from Pre-Novice to Senior. Skaters wishing to participate in the National Summer Series must compete in a minimum of two (2) approved events, and upon registering for the Series, must declare which (up to) 3 events they wish to use as their scoring events. The top 2 scores from each competitor’s declared events will be used to generate categorical rankings. Category ranking lists will be updated and released weekly until the conclusion of the Series on September 5, 2016, and will be calculated using the following equations:

• Pre-Novice and Novice events: The sum of the total competition TES+Bonus-Deductions achieved at 2 of the skater’s declared events;
  • Junior and Senior events: The sum of the total competition scores achieved at 2 of the skater’s declared events.
Skate Canada National Summer Series Rewards
At the conclusion of the Series, those skaters who have achieved top overall placements in the Series will be rewarded as follows:

• Pre-Novice to Novice categories:
    • a bye through to the Skate Canada Challenge
    • included as members of the identified NextGen athlete pool for the season, and
    • a development opportunity prior to Challenge as follows:
      • Singles: an invitation to the Skate Canada Fall Development Seminar to be held in conjunction with the Skate Canada Autumn Classic International;
      • Ice Dance: an invitation to the Skate Canada National Dance Development Workshop to be held in conjunction with one of the NSS events.
      • Pairs: an invitation to the Skate Canada National Pairs Development Workshop to be held in conjunction with one of the NSS events.
    • Junior and Senior categories (for athletes not issued an assignment to represent Canada at an international competition by September 5, 2016):
      • a bye through to the Skate Canada Challenge,
      • if meeting the NextGen age/score benchmarks:
        • included as members of the identified NextGen athlete pool for the season, and
        • Individualized development support for the athlete(s) prior to Challenge.
      • will be considered for entry into the Autumn Classic International event, should they have achieved a benchmark score in the NSS events (Junior Worlds technical qualifying scores for Junior categories; Four Continents technical qualifying scores for Senior categories).
Skaters achieving the following placements in the Series will be eligible for the above mentioned opportunities:

Men
Ladies
Pairs
Ice Dance
Pre-Novice
Top 10
Top 10
Top 5
Top 5
Novice
Top 10
Top 10
Top 5
Top 5
Junior
Top 5
Top 5
Top 5
Top 5
Senior
Top 3
Top 3
Top 3
Top 3
Further details on byes through to Challenge can be found in the Byes Policy section of this document.
Competition Details
The list of approved Canadian competitions is as follows:

• BC/YK: BC Summer Skate
  • AB/NT/NU: Wild Rose
  • SK: Sask Skate
  • WO: Summer Sizzle
  • CO: Summer Skate
  • EO: Minto Summer Skate
  • QC: Quebec Summer Skate
  • NL: SCNL Summer Skate
The list of approved USFSA competitions for JUNIOR AND SENIOR only is as follows:

• CA, USA: Anaheim Summer Classic
  • MI, USA: Skate Detroit
  • PA, USA: Philadelphia Summer Championships
  • NY, USA: Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships
  • CA, USA: Golden West Skate
All events must adhere to the following conditions:

• Video replay must be available and used by the technical panel in all cases;
  • The technical panel must be comprised of 3 qualified members, with preference towards those qualified at the Challenge level or higher;
  • The event must conclude no later than September 5, 2016; and
  • Athletes must have the opportunity to register a combined short and free program score.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Here are my general thoughts:

A great step in the right direction.

I would have loved it if these summer competitions had event finals in the ladies events to ensure more strength vs strength competition. Also performance in event finals is more meaningful as it would better simulate the conditions one would expect to find internationally ( mainly a higher quality field ).

One pity is that US novice and pre-novice rules are different from those in Canada. That would make adding the US events as eligible competitions at that level more plausible. Our novices and pre-novice would benefit from US experience.

I remember Gogolev doing a 3F half loop 3S combo in Skate Detroit which he was not allowed to do in novice men in Canada 3 jump combos aren't allowed in the FS for pre-novice and novice in Canada while they are allowed in the US. There are other differences as well ( PCS multiplier , how bonus is handled , elements and even program length)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thanks for creating this thread dorispulaski! I was surprised to see I had started a thread. :biggrin:

I would have loved it if these summer competitions had event finals in the ladies events to ensure more strength vs strength competition. Also performance in event finals is more meaningful as it would better simulate the conditions one would expect to find internationally ( mainly a higher quality field ).

One pity is that US novice and pre-novice rules are different from those in Canada. That would make adding the US events as eligible competitions at that level more plausible. Our novices and pre-novice would benefit from US experience.

I remember Gogolev doing a 3F half loop 3S combo in Skate Detroit which he was not allowed to do in novice men in Canada 3 jump combos aren't allowed in the FS for pre-novice and novice in Canada while they are allowed in the US. There are other differences as well ( PCS multiplier , how bonus is handled , elements and even program length)

You know this is the exact line of thought I had when I posed that question. Because I'm not sure for Canadian skaters competing in the US, but internationally you can't compete as a Junior until the year you are thirteen before July 1st. But there are kids in Canada who are younger, and will be competing as Juniors nationally because they won medals as novice skaters. So can they compete in the US in junior competitions? Or are they now just limited to Canada for the NSS and for rankings? And if they do compete internationally as advanced novice skaters (like the kids at Coupe du Printemps) how do those results affect their rankings if they are competing nationally as Juniors?

I'm so uninformed and confused but I feel I just have to read a lot of Skate Canada documentation and I'll figure something out. Or maybe not. :scratch2:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Each US competition has an announcement, and the announcement always spells out what qualifications skaters must have.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thank you for the info!

Today's Skate Ontario 2016 Super Series announcement includes the dates of some summer competitions in Canada and the US. The American events already have threads, except for Skate Detroit which will be July 19-23, 2016.

Minto Summer Skate: July 28 – July 30, 2016
Summer Sizzle: August 5-7, 2016
COS Summer Skate: August 11-14, 2016
Quebec Summer Competition: August 4-7, 2016

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Apparently Stephen Gogolev, who turned 11 (in January I think) is competing in Detroit as a junior.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Apparently Stephen Gogolev, who turned 11 (in January I think) is competing in Detroit as a junior.

I saw that. That's pretty cool. His birthday is December 22 by the way. Also saw that Roman Sadovsky will be there and is being coached by Brian Orser and Lee Barkell. I guess we'll be seeing a few of The Cricket Club skaters at Skate Detroit.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I remember there was a figure skating competition in May, 2016. But I can't find it anymore.

Oh, I found something..

2016 Skate Canada Ice Summit
May 25 - May 28
Delta St. John’s, 120 New Gower Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 6K4 Canada+ Google Map
2016 Skate Canada Ice Summit
The 2016 Skate Canada Ice Summit will be held in St. John’s Newfoundland & Labrador from Wednesday, May 25 to Saturday, May 28 at the Delta St. John’s Hotel and Conference Centre, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Is it a competition or a conference?

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It's an annual general meeting, if I'm not mistaken.

I think you may be thinking of this - 2016 Super Series Victoria Day. It doesn't count for the National Summer Series so I didn't think to put it in this thread.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Skate Ontario shared the list of entries for the 2016 Skate Ontario Super Series. Some of the athletes on this list are also signed up for the National Summer Series as most skaters can use the same two events. You can see the entries and who's signed up for Minto Summer Skate by clicking on the link for coaches here.

Scout

Final Flight

Agreed! Especially in the pre-novice and novice events.

I do feel that in the last 3-4 years, the technical difficulty that ladies are attempting is getting higher - even if it's not at par with other countries, especially in the novice/junior ranks. It's really nice to see juniors trying triples other than salchow and toe, and more triple-triples in the senior ranks.

It would be great to have finals where top pre-novices and top novices got to compete against each other, instead of in diluted fields, to really force them to up their game. And this, in turn, would result in more competitive junior and senior fields as they move up.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Entries for the National Summer Series have been posted in downloadable PDF format.

Men
Ladies
Pairs
Dance

Some ambitious skaters are signed up for three events. :eeking:

Does anyone know why Olivia Smart and Adrian Diaz are signed up? :think:

Scout

Final Flight
The results for the National Summer Series have begun to be posted.

Thanks for the link!

Nice to see some junior ladies going down to the US to compete and placing. And happy to see Michelle Long place in both the long and short, despite some errors. A 97 point program, with some errors, is a promising start to the season. Her bigger errors came at the start of both programs, so nice to see that she recovered well in both.

Scout

Final Flight
Entries for the National Summer Series have been posted in downloadable PDF format.

Men
Ladies
Pairs
Dance

Some ambitious skaters are signed up for three events. :eeking:

Does anyone know why Olivia Smart and Adrian Diaz are signed up? :think:

Disappointed in the lack of pairs - at all levels. Only 4 teams at both the pre-novice and novice level - where are all the up and coming pairs skaters?