2016 Rio: Men's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Naya

On the Ice
I think gmyers is basically reinforcing the possibility of Russia being expelled from Olympics if IOC somehow lose the patience and conclude that what happens in Russia it's a lousy case of generalized corruption, or a rooted "culture of cheating" that requires the most severe punishment possible in order to end. Again, I don't think the whole team will be banned, but some effective message must be send to Russian sports authorities, that's why I think track and field athletes are out already. On the other side, looks like Russia is cooperating with WADA to clean up the things a little, so I think IOC will consider this before take more radical measures.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
wow I never heard of Armenia winning something in gymnastics, is this the first time they got medals?

No, they have 12 Olympic Medals ( 6 G, 5 S and 1 B)

This without counting World Championships, World Cups, Universidade, Euros and other tournaments

Reynnou

On the Ice
So hoping for a Kohei-Ryohei 1-2 finish in Rio, in any order.

Kohei will probably win but I don't see Ryohei on the AA podium...

Whitlock had to withdraw due to a virus so the Brits weren't at full strength. Hopefully, they can do even better at Rio.

And the Russians are always better at European Championship than Worlds or Olympics.
Anyway it was nice to see Belyavskiy doing so great, his Pbars EF performance was fantastic :clap:

gmyers

Record Breaker
That's just ridiculous. I hope you don't honestly support such nonsense.

It's being done! The IAAF banned sure non dopers and and so could the IOC. Whether or not I support it is irrelevent as its being done.

I think gmyers is basically reinforcing the possibility of Russia being expelled from Olympics if IOC somehow lose the patience and conclude that what happens in Russia it's a lousy case of generalized corruption, or a rooted "culture of cheating" that requires the most severe punishment possible in order to end. Again, I don't think the whole team will be banned, but some effective message must be send to Russian sports authorities, that's why I think track and field athletes are out already. On the other side, looks like Russia is cooperating with WADA to clean up the things a little, so I think IOC will consider this before take more radical measures.

I don't know how Russia is cooperating with wada. Banned coaches are very busy "consulting" in places training potential Olympians for rio. Coaches have been banned from coaching but not from training centers.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Kohei will probably win but I don't see Ryohei on the AA podium...

And the Russians are always better at European Championship than Worlds or Olympics.
Anyway it was nice to see Belyavskiy doing so great, his Pbars EF performance was fantastic :clap:

He's certainly one of the more likely candidates when looking at the field, the difficulty and the execution scores.

Reynnou

On the Ice
He's certainly one of the more likely candidates when looking at the field, the difficulty and the execution scores.

He's a candidate but there other guys with equivalent or higher difficulty and good execution scores (Verniaiev, Whitlock, Larduet, Belyavskiy, Stepko (if he hits), Shudi, Tanaka, I would add Mikulak but he never did good internationally...).
But I wouldn't mind to see Ryohei on the podium since he's one of my favorite!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
He's a candidate but there other guys with equivalent or higher difficulty and good execution scores (Verniaiev, Whitlock, Larduet, Belyavskiy, Stepko (if he hits), Shudi, Tanaka, I would add Mikulak but he never did good internationally...).
But I wouldn't mind to see Ryohei on the podium since he's one of my favorite!

Kato's great strength is (as he himself has said) his steadiness under pressure. If the others mess up, he can get on the podium.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Interesting note: other than Phillip Boy, there have been NO repeat medalists behind Uchimura in the last 6 years

ioanna

Record Breaker
The Olympic Team Japan has been decided!

Kohei Uchimura
Ryohei Kato
Kenzo Shirai
Yusuke Tanaka
Koji Yamamuro

Basically the same team from London with Kenzo Shirai instead of Kazuhito Tanaka. Glad to see Koji Yamamuro back!

Bilingual news clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KzZq_84ko

yude

Record Breaker
I'm extremely happy for Yamamuro!! I really like this team Japan :hap10:

By the way, Makoto Okiguchi was doing the commentary in the broadcast today, he seemed he was nervous at first but he was just doing fine after that :)

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Daisuke Takahashi interviewed Kohei Uchimura! Great video with English subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHBoCTTxL8

Uchimura is genius. To me he is perfect gymnasts and a great example how gymnastics should be done. I hope next AG president gonna be Japaneese. Japan shares the same political and strategical views on future of gymnastics as most of Europeans. I hope more gymnasts will be more like Uchimura, because I'm tired of gymnasts which can't do clean lines and look like bodybuilders, but not gymnasts. :sarcasm:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Uchimura is genius. To me he is perfect gymnasts and a great example how gymnastics should be done. I hope next AG president gonna be Japaneese. Japan shares the same political and strategical views on future of gymnastics as most of Europeans. I hope more gymnasts will be more like Uchimura, because I'm tired of gymnasts which can't do clean lines and look like bodybuilders, but not gymnasts. :sarcasm:

Right?! Since the Romanian and Russian men collapsed post-2004, Japan is really the only country that does gymnastics that is actually pleasing to watch.

Naya

On the Ice
Right?! Since the Romanian and Russian men collapsed post-2004, Japan is really the only country that does gymnastics that is actually pleasing to watch.

I like the Brits, I think their gymnastics is clean and beautiful, David Beliavsky and Denis Ablyazin are great to watch when they hit, it's a shame that Beliavsky is a headcase in general.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States

Exactly. They are the only ones who managed with raising level of difficulty and lowered level of clean lines appreciation. Hopefully, the next president is gonna be the Japanese gentlemen, who will bring the beauty back to ARTSTIC gymnastics, but not the dude, who complain gymnastics being not very "exciting to watch and there is a need to make less apparatus" (!). I don't like artistic gymnastics at its current state. I think Olympics would be better off by getting back to classics artistic gymnastics with beautiful proportions, midairs and clean lines, but introducing competitive acrobatics instead of all those low-rating funny sports they are trying to push. Acrobatics is really great for spectators - this is their difficulty of jumps can shine along their usual competition routines and group performances. And acrobatics sport is very well developed in many countries on 4 continents (2 Americas and Europe+Asia). It's way better and more sellable than rollers skating or softball/baseball. I heard from many TV people that it not a problem to sell any kind of gymnastics (acrobatic, artistic, sport gymnastics ) anywhere in the world. People like to watch all 3 spectacular sports. So, my vote goes to future Japanese president, who promised to bring beauty back to gymnatcs.