2016 Rio: Rhythmic Gymnastics | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Rhythmic Gymnastics

Layback11

Record Breaker
We've got a men's gymnastics thread going, so why not a rhythmic gymnastics one? :rock: Who do you think will win, and who are you looking forward to watching?

If Yana Kudratsyeva (did I misspell that?) is fully recovered from the injury she had last summer, I think she's kind of a no-brainer for the AA title. I am most looking forward to seeing Melitina Staniouta and I hope she can win at least one apparatus medal (maybe even AA).

Random note: the lack of live streams available for the RG World Cup events (equivalent of GP events in skating) is maddening. :scowl:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Arina Averina is really fun to watch because she does things like this or THIS!!! :jaw:

Her and her twin sister are very identical too :cool:

Last edited:

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
I do not think Viner will send Yana to Rio, Sasha and Rita have been amazing since the season started. Also, Yana didn't took part of Russian Championships, Moscow Championships or Nationals. I would sent Soldatova and Mamun, and the Averina Twins ( I am a huge fan of them) as alternates.

Melitina is REALLY consistent, she can grab Silver or Bronze if Rizatinova makes mistakes (as ussual in big events). Halkina can make the Final if Mustafaeva, Rodríguez or Vladinova bomb at classification events.

Neta Rivkin can make the final again, and if Pazhava, Durunda or Son go bad, she can be better than in London 2012 (she was 7th in the Final).

As for Son, her programs are more like 2012 ones, this means that they are even better than in the past seasons. She will make the final if everything goes well, she has true artistry, something most of gymnasts lack of. Also, she has the support of Irina Viner as Head-Coach, she is really lucky of having her support.

Laura Zeng could also make the Final, strong and challenging athlete, she is a joy to watch.

I will make a complete Event Preview after National Teams be announced. Please tell me what do you think of my impressions, and also ad new ones.

Last edited:

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
If Yana Kudratsyeva (did I misspell that?) is fully recovered from the injury she had last summer, I think she's kind of a no-brainer for the AA title. I am most looking forward to seeing Melitina Staniouta and I hope she can win at least one apparatus medal (maybe even AA).

Random note: the lack of live streams available for the RG World Cup events (equivalent of GP events in skating) is maddening. :scowl:

There's only All Around Final medals, for example: if Mamun is first with ball but in All-Around she is 4th (let's hope she performs better than this), she will not recieve any medal.

As for livestreams for GP's , I usually find in Fb links of YT to watch livestreams, I used one yesterday to watch Brno Finals

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I love rhythmic gymnastics, but I am very much a beginner in knowing who the top athletes are, how the scoring works, the politics, etc :) Who are the ones to watch in 2016? And how does qualification work?

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
solar, I will describe how the system works for Individual RG...

At the first 2 events of RG in Rio you will see 26 gymnasts. 15 quallified to OLympics last september, and other 8 in the Test Event held last month. Theast three spots are: 1 for Brazil as Host Country, and the other 2 decided by the FIG.

The first 2 days of competition each gymnast will try to quallify to the All Around Final, for that, she will need a Top 10 finish after the 4 apparatus. If she reaches the top 10, she already gains the Olympic Certificate, showing her archievement of being one of tbe best gymnasts in the world.

In the Final, each gymnast start with 0 points (qualiffication scores do not count). What counts is the order in which they placed (the gymnast with 6th place will be the last with each apparatus in the Final). The one with most points wins, and there are no medals per apparatus, just overall.

As for the scoring, it is like in gymnastics (maximum of 20, 10 in difficulty and 10 in execution). Unhopefully, artistry is not scored anymore. Gymnast must have between 2-3 leaps per routine and a maximum of 9 difficulties per exercise, including pivots catchs and throws of the apparatus, as well as working with them using both hands and other parts of the body.

Deductions exist and are implemented if:
-the apparatus goes out of the carpet
-the apparatus fells
- a part of the costume or half shoes breaks
-the gymnast leaves the carpet
-gymnast interacts with coach
-gymnast stop the exercise after the music stops
-music stops and gymnast is out of the carpet or without the apparatus.

If an element is not well executed, it has a small deduction.

As for top gymnasts, I wrote something in my first post in this thread.

I hope all this info helps

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think there's just a fight for spot number two in Russia, because even injured, Yana is still their most reliable gymnast, after all she is 3-time world champion and even with mistakes she manages to fight for the gold. We all know what happens with Mamun and Soldatova, they are amazing, yes, but they can do amazingly bizarre competitions, and in the Olympics you need to make two clean AAs one after the other, and between those three, Yana is the best gymnast to make the entire competition without making a mess.

And fighting for the podium there's three, or four, gymnasts. Son, Rizatdinova and Staniouta are favorites, but I would put Pahava with them too. The others have close to zero chances, but making a final is something to rejoice, too.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think there's just a fight for spot number two in Russia, because even injured, Yana is still their most reliable gymnast, after all she is 3-time world champion and even with mistakes she manages to fight for the gold. We all know what happens with Mamun and Soldatova, they are amazing, yes, but they can do amazingly bizarre competitions, and in the Olympics you need to make two clean AAs one after the other, and between those three, Yana is the best gymnast to make the entire competition without making a mess.
And fighting for the podium there's three, or four, gymnasts. Son, Rizatdinova and Staniouta are favorites, but I would put Pahava with them too. The others have close to zero chances, but making a final is something to rejoice, too.

I thought Yana is like 13-time World Champ. My niece is a fan of hers, she can't shut up about her - so I know for sure.. :)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I thought Yana is like 13-time World Champ. My niece is a fan of hers, she can't shut up about her - so I know for sure.. :)

Oh, I'm only counting AAs, because that's what matters for the Olympics. But she does have a lot of golds backing her up, not to talk about clean competition after clean competition. It would be stupid of Viner to even dream of sending Mamun and Soldatova to leave Yana at home - but I do think that's what she would love to do. Yana's not her favorite.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Oh, I'm only counting AAs, because that's what matters for the Olympics. But she does have a lot of golds backing her up, not to talk about clean competition after clean competition. It would be stupid of Viner to even dream of sending Mamun and Soldatova to leave Yana at home - but I do think that's what she would love to do. Yana's not her favorite.

Mamun is her favourite. But the problem is, which was Yana´s last competition? A month ago she WD from a World Cup Finals (Dina Averina replaced her) because of the remaining injury. By the way, I wish she recovers in time for Rio, and the 2nd spot, for me, should be Sasha.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Mamun is her favourite. But the problem is, which was Yana´s last competition? A month ago she WD from a World Cup Finals (Dina Averina replaced her) because of the remaining injury. By the way, I wish she recovers in time for Rio, and the 2nd spot, for me, should be Sasha.

Yana only compited two full AAs this year, one in Pesaro, the other in Tashkent this weekend. In both she placed ahead of Sasha or Mamun. She's planning to compete more this month, so we'll see how she's going to go. I doubt we'll see her out of Rio, though, she already competed with limitations in Stuttgart last year, and we all saw how that went.

The second spot is up for grabs, but unless Soldatova starts to go all out without mistakes, I doubt she's going to the Olympics. But then, the three are going to Rio either way, Viner is going to choose at the last minute.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Random RG note: I signed up for RSG over two months ago and still haven't gotten my account approved...lol. It says to contact the admin if that happens-how do you do that?

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yana Kudryavtseva just won All Around at World Cup. My niece is jumping around the house too. Soldatova is second.