David Wilson on Virtue & Moir | Golden Skate

David Wilson on Virtue & Moir

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a short interview with David Wilson on Virtue/Moir, their coaches, and a bit on Jeff Buttle. Enjoy!
youtu.be/CJEWK5LQwcU

Loved the response when Ted asks him about "poaching skaters"...:biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here's a short interview with David Wilson on Virtue/Moir, their coaches, and a bit on Jeff Buttle. Enjoy!
youtu.be/CJEWK5LQwcU

did i just tune out? i missed that lol

mrrice

Record Breaker
Holy Cow!!!! David Wilson cracks me up. He's such a choreographer....."I only had them for a day and a half but.....I wish I had them longer." I bet he did. They went on to become Olympic Champions. Of course he wished he had them longer...;) I actually get what he's saying. It's so much fun working with high caliber students who can quickly grasp and execute the ideas that you've had in your mind. It's like seeing your dreams come true.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Went back to look at Buttle piece he talks about. i didn't know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ay_0iZwgjU

What a piece! Someone should bring this back - Kostner, C/P - even Fermandez would do something unexpected with it.

i doubt fernandez can skate to this piece or almost anyone for that matter... it's quite intellectual... if buttle couldn't, with his flow, flexibility and skating skills, very few would manage to do it... and it looks really like tailor made for buttle... glad they switched it before the games though....

hortensja

On the Ice
i doubt fernandez can skate to this piece or almost anyone for that matter... it's quite intellectual... if buttle couldn't, with his flow, flexibility and skating skills, very few would manage to do it... and it looks really like tailor made for buttle... glad they switched it before the games though....

Ah, the beauty of the Tristan chord! Although I find the transition from Wagner to Bach and Schoenberg a little bit strange, but it could be a great great program. Maybe Chan or Yuzu with his technical ability?

rosy14

Final Flight
I qas thinking the same thing, Chan for his skating skills and footwork and Hanyu for the difficult technical elements and for interpretation.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well ... keep in mind that buttle was only trying one quad (planned fall) this program is so hard already, i have a hard time imagining it with multiple quads.... the jumps are like apparitions here... yuzu is the best equipped to deal with this choreography as far as jumps are concerned... chan has perhaps some other advantages like flow and footwork and context (glenn gould) but buttle was probably the only one who could have done it... and he didn't ... that is a crazy program... i think david wilson is a bit too ambitious at times ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Glad that Wilson spoke about Tessa and Scott always having looked up to Marie France and Patrice as mentors :bow: :cool:, going back to when D/L were competing.

youtu.be/CJEWK5LQwcU

Was the part about poaching only in the raw footage? Did it get left on the cutting room floor? :confused2:

Anyway, applause to GS for producing interview videos :yay:. Compliments to Ted Flett and the GS team.

seabm7

Final Flight
Went back to look at Buttle piece he talks about. i didn't know it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ay_0iZwgjU

What a piece! Someone should bring this back - Kostner, C/P - even Fermandez would do something unexpected with it.

In the Canadian version of the broadcast, they did not show the Kiss and Cry area below the shoulder of Buttle.

He brought back the program as an exhibition piece, sans the middle part. In an interview, he mentioned he could not solve the middle part of the program. He also tried a watered down version at Japan Open later after his retirement, but it was not successful either.

The middle part is a collection of various piano pieces, all at different tempo. I agree, it is a fabulous program. But you would need the jump, skill, musically, and stamina, which is impossible.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
4everchan said:
did i just tune out? i missed that lol

golden411icecoverage said:
Was the part about poaching only in the raw footage? Did it get left on the cutting room floor? :confused2:

My bad! It's actually in part 3 which is going up today!