2nd Aerial Challenge announced | Golden Skate

2nd Aerial Challenge announced

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just saw this on my timeline - the jumps competition is back!

Tom Z posted this on his Twitter/Facebook (includes quotes from Max who will be back to defend his title).

The big thing to take from it is that there will be LIVE STREAMING, hopefully for real this year.

(The other thing I took from it was that it looks like it'll be open to US skaters only. Oh come on, I wanna see Brendan win the backflip contest!)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks to karne for the news and the thread.
Fingers crossed for the live streaming :popcorn:.
Good for Tom Z for securing prize money again.

BTW ... will piggyback onto this thread and mention that something new (AFAIK) from USFS this year is:
"Jump on It!: An Athlete Development Camp for the Technical Elements Score"
May 13-15, 2016
Broadmoor Arena, Colorado Springs, Colo.
http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84188&menu=camps

".... a national training camp open to athletes who have competed in the most recent regional, sectional or U.S. championships.

... will feature on-ice and off-ice classes designed to help competitive athletes improve their Technical Elements Score. The curriculum will focus primarily on jumps. Additional classes will feature spins, skating skills and power, sports science and understanding the technical score. "

Seems to be a counterpart to USFS Components Camp.​

brightphoton

Medalist
Fans will cheer on skaters as they compete the Jumping Ladder (three jumps selected by skater), Jump Combinations, Double or Triple Axels and Quadruples.

Can someone explain to me how this competition works?

Do skaters each complete a jumping ladder (three solo jumps of their choice), followed by a jump combination pre-selected by a judge, and then with a double axle/triple axel/quad of their choice?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope the girls in the last round have to try a 3a again. I think that's what happened last year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Can someone explain to me how this competition works?

Do skaters each complete a jumping ladder (three solo jumps of their choice), followed by a jump combination pre-selected by a judge, and then with a double axle/triple axel/quad of their choice?

The jump content for the different rounds is spelled out on the BSC website.
http://www.broadmoorskatingclub.com/invitation.pdf (starting on page 3 of five-page PDF for 2016)​

I hope the girls in the last round have to try a 3a again. I think that's what happened last year.

Yes, the three ladies in the championship round must attempt a triple axel -- same as last year.

brightphoton

Medalist
I'll write this out with modifications, since I actually dislike pdf formats, and I don't think it's totally ridiculous to make the format of a new competition more obvious.

1. Initial Round, Basic Jumping Skills:
Skaters will perform
- an axel jump of choice (2A or 3A)
- Two jumps from the following: Salchow, Toe Loop, Loop, Flip or Lutz (single, double, triple or quadruple)

2. Semifinal Round
Skaters will perform one combination with the following requirement:
- Three jump combination of choice (must include at least two different triple jumps)

3. Final Round Men
Skaters will perform one jump from each of the following categories:
- Triple Axel combination
- Quadruple of choice

Final Round Ladies
Skaters will perform one jump from each of the following categories:
- 2A+3T
- Half loop 3S three jump combination of choice

4. Championship Round Men
Skaters will perform two different quadruple jumps back to back using the full ice surface.
- Quadruple of choice (may include a combination) performed on one end of the ice followed by a different quadruple of choice on the opposite end

Championship Round Ladies
Skaters will attempt a 3A
- 3A attempt

brightphoton

Medalist
There's apparently a backflip contest too. Surya would approve.

Back Flip Jumping Event
Skaters will perform one attempt of each element from the following categories:
- Back flip
- Back flip variation

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for writing it all out brightphoton! IIRC last year Max won the championship round with a 4S-1Lo-3S as his combination. But was the rule different last year? Because I don't recall him doing a quad toe...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... IIRC last year Max won the championship round with a 4S-1Lo-3S as his combination. But was the rule different last year? Because I don't recall him doing a quad toe...

It is a new requirement this year that two different types of quads are necessary for men who advance to the last round.

Max did not do a quad toe last year, per IN's account:

The four rounds of Aerial Challenge have been re-named this year.
- The terminology for the 2015 progression was: Semifinal Round, Final Round, Championship Round, Bonus Round
- The 2016 progression will be: Initial Round, Semifinal Round, Final Round, Championship Round​

The change in rules for men in the last round (known in 2016 as the Championship Round and known in 2015 as the Bonus Round):
The 2016 wording:
Skaters will perform two different quadruple jumps back to back using the full ice surface.
o Quadruple of choice (may include a combination) performed on one end of the ice followed by a different quadruple of choice on the opposite end
The 2015 wording:
Skaters will perform two quadruple jumps of choice back-to-back on opposite ends of the ice arena using the full ice surface. One of the jump passes may be done in combination.

Max's content at 2015 Aerial Challenge, per IN (emphasis added):
2015 "Final Round"
.... Max Aaron, with Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" blaring in the background, did a quad salchow-half loop-triple salchow with tremendous speed, and added another quad salchow for good measure." ....
2015 "Championship Round"
.... Next, deafening cheers greeted Max Aaron. He did a solid triple axel-half-loop-triple salchow, but popped his first quad attempt. The skaters were allowed one do-over ..., and he was able to do a quad salchow-double toe and another quad salchow with a step-out. ....
2015 "Bonus Round"
.... Aaron did a quad salchow-triple toe with great speed and took a hard fall on his second quad salchow ....

I'll write this out with modifications, since I actually dislike pdf formats, and I don't think it's totally ridiculous to make the format of a new competition more obvious. ...

Did anyone say anything about it being "totally ridiculous?" Or ridiculous at all?

I did not. And no one else did either, AFAIK.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Scheduling details (subject to change; all times local):

The Friday Jun 24 schedule for the Broadmoor Open says:

3:25 - 4:25 AE Ladies Rd 1
4:25 - 5:10 AE Men Rd 1
(I believe these are the Aerial Challenge Initial Rounds, previously mentioned as scheduled for Fri afternoon)

7:45 - 10:00 Finals of the Aerial Challenge​

The Broadmoor Open’s Junior and Senior Jump Events are on Thursday Jun 23.
7:25-7:45 Junior Ladies Jumps
7:45-8:05 Junior Mens Jumps
8:05-8:25 Senior Mens Jumps
8:25-8:45 Senior Ladies Jumps​
For non-ISP skaters, Thursday's jump events will serve as an open qualifying round for the Aerial Challenge. Thursday's winners will advance to the Aerial Challenge on Friday.​

BTW, links to schedule PDFs for all days of the Broadmoor Open are here:

ETA (on Jun 16):

The link above for the Friday schedule no longer works.

The new and improved link:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Awwwwwww yissssss, finals of the AC at lunchtime on a Saturday. IceNetwork, you better keep your word this time!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... IceNetwork, you better keep your word this time!

ETA, update to my original post (which remains below):
I see that IN did say something definitive this morning via Twitter -- that AC will not be streamed on IN, but will be streamed.
So the question now is which non-IN platform will provide the streaming on Friday :popcorn:.​

I hope that Aerial Challenge will come through with streaming via one provider or another -- but will note that this year's AC press release did not specify that IN would be the streaming platform. The AC release said only, "We are pleased to offer live streaming ..."

AFAIK, IN never gave its word re streaming this year -- never has said a word at all about this year's event.
Although Tom Z has tweeted at IN a couple of times in reference to this year's comp, his tweets came across to me as only wishful thinking (like "Hint, hint ;)" to IN).

If TZ really does have an official agreement in place with IN, I hope we will hear about it soon.
If not, I hope he has made other arrangements for streaming.

ETA:

Today the AC Facebook site added an event page for the 2016 comp.

A new crumb of information there:
Over 20 skaters including 18 members of Team USA will compete.

Last edited: