Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
From what I've seen in my area, small town figure skating club memberships have been dwindling in numbers for the past couple decades. There have been a lot of clubs in my region that have either amalgamated with other clubs just to stay afloat, or have folded all together. The interest just isn't there anymore for the younger generations to take up figure skating. Meanwhile you see numbers in sports like girls hockey and competitive cheerleading soaring - both of these barely existed 20 years ago for the masses. Maybe the greater variety of available sports for girls plays a big part in all this. Cheerleading and hockey are popular and are slightly less costly than skating.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Russia is really separate from the rest of Europe and they just had a very successful Olympics there.

They did? By inflating the cost to $51 billion and giving contracts for close friends and pocketing the difference. In that sense, it's a very successful Olympics for a few people. The rest of Russia will still be paying for that $51 billion sticker price. GS should sell them the Brooklyn bridge in 2013 and host this forum ad-free for everyone.

mrrice

Record Breaker
From what I've seen in my area, small town figure skating club memberships have been dwindling in numbers for the past couple decades. There have been a lot of clubs in my region that have either amalgamated with other clubs just to stay afloat, or have folded all together. The interest just isn't there anymore for the younger generations to take up figure skating. Meanwhile you see numbers in sports like girls hockey and competitive cheerleading soaring - both of these barely existed 20 years ago for the masses. Maybe the greater variety of available sports for girls plays a big part in all this. Cheerleading and hockey are popular and are slightly less costly than skating.

This is true about the popularity of cheerleading in the US. One reason for its popularity in recent years is that there are schools who actually offer scholarships for cheerleading.