Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Fun idea :)

OP, you may be interested in using these HD quality uploads (courtesy of the Japanese broadcasters):

Kerrigan Short Free
Baiul Short Free

I don't know if Nancy was robbed, but I thank you for bringing this youtube channel into my life.

What better way to spend Saturday night than watch Lu Chen skating to Mariah Carey's "Butterfly" in 1080p, and other gems...

stella luna

Final Flight
Oh come on stella luna - its off season we have to fun. But it is kind of sad to see a woman in a thirteen thousand dollar dress against the orphan waif who had to add feathers to her costumes because she grew. yes, nancy dressed like a queen but thankfully there is more to skating than that.

All of the pink in Oksana's LP costume gave me a headache.

khughes

On the Ice
I don't get the flack over Nancy's costumes at all. IMO, they were the best thing about her at the Olympics in 94'.

Imagine if Miyahara or Radionova were dressed by Vera Wang. They would have beaten Gracie! Pogorilaya in Vera Wang, would be a Vogue Russia cover girl!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Imagine if Miyahara or Radionova were dressed by Vera Wang. They would have beaten Gracie! Pogorilaya in Vera Wang, would be a Vogue Russia cover girl!

:confused:

I don't think fancy costumes have anything to do with judging...

However, I would be very happy if Anna and Elena appeared next season in Vera Wang, because neither seems to hit the costuming mark very often. Satoko's costumes are always nice so the need for couture :p is not as great, but of course, the more great costumes, the better! :yes:

khughes

On the Ice
:confused:

I don't think fancy costumes have anything to do with judging...

However, I would be very happy if Anna and Elena appeared next season in Vera Wang, because neither seems to hit the costuming mark very often. Satoko's costumes are always nice so the need for couture :p is not as great, but of course, the more great costumes, the better! :yes:

Oh Layback11, you're taking me too literally! I thought this thread was supposed to be fun! But, I agree that Anna and Elena's costumes are horrible. I didn't like Satoko's overworked pink dress much either - it reminds me of my great aunt's foot stool.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Oh Layback11, you're taking me too literally! I thought this thread was supposed to be fun! But, I agree that Anna and Elena's costumes are horrible. I didn't like Satoko's overworked pink dress much either - it reminds me of my great aunt's foot stool.

Oh, okay, lol. I am really bad at picking up on sarcasm, so I'm not surprised. LOL! Satoko's pink dress was okay, but I get why it might look like a footstool (as you so fittingly described it :laugh:). But Anna and Elena could definitely benefit from a bit of a repackaging. :yes:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Not being a fan of either skater I wish Nancy'd won purely because of all that happened in Oksana's life in the aftermath. Oksana was not ready to be Olympic Champion it literally ruined her life. A silver medal would have been a major success for her and the motivation to develop further.

Yeah agree, though Oksana had several things in her life that messed with her psycologically. So, troubled, talented kid grabs onto skating as her self-worth. Obviously, didn't fix what was wrong. A silver would have been stabilizing. A gold and the hype, media frenzy, fan craziness can un-nerve even the most balanced person.

karlowens2

On the Ice
This thread can be about other robberies, right? I say Denis Ten was robbed at 2013 World Championships. He was very good and Chan had a pretty hard FS. It's a case where there were so many technical errors that the artistry was lost. In the 6.0 system the judges could have said Chan's skate wasn't very good and given Ten the gold.

In the current system evey deduction has to be justified. We get these surprising results where a mediocre, uninspired skate places high. I think this is a mistake. In the end the judge should be able to give a poor performance 6's in PCS when the skate just doesn't work.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope we keep the robbery discussion to those events to those well in the past. Anything somewhat recent has been hashed out sufficiently on these boards.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh Lord. Are we going to go back to 2013 or 2014. I hope not. Threads are still infused with Chan bashing or adelina didn't deserve gold comments. I think the OP was meaning to talk about older close results. Ones that aren't fueling uncivil debates. I think I may not be the only one not willing to go through recent competitions.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Certainly wasn't posting to stir a controvery, bash Chan or anyone else. The author of the thread thought we could discuss how we weigh different aspects of skating. I thought I was doing that - in this case the relationship between technical scores and PCS.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Oksana's joy on ice was infectious. She has that magical quality that few other skaters have. Out of the current group of skaters, only Radionova exudes that as well, though Oksana's artistry and presentation were superior IMO. To this day, I can't believe she was only 16 and skating like this! I don't really care about the argument that Nancy should have won based on the current scoring system. Figure skating was much more subjective in 1994, and Oksana clearly had the more appealing performance(s) in my opinion and the judges' opinions.

stella luna

Final Flight
Oh Lord. Are we going to go back to 2013 or 2014. I hope not. Threads are still infused with Chan bashing or adelina didn't deserve gold comments. I think the OP was meaning to talk about older close results. Ones that aren't fueling uncivil debates. I think I may not be the only one not willing to go through recent competitions.

Well, now that you brought it up :biggrin: ... In addition to home cooking, Yuna backed out of the GP series that year, no doubt costing a lot of ticket sales. Not PC. There's no way she would have been allowed to easily skate away with gold.

And Nancy would have stood a better chance at gold had Tonya been barred from competition. It was a distracting, zoolike atmosphere that probably resulted in a bit of a bias against the U.S. Tonya had no reason to be there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i didn't....someone else did
Well, now that you brought it up :biggrin: ... In addition to home cooking, Yuna backed out of the GP series that year, no doubt costing a lot of ticket sales. Not PC. There's no way she would have been allowed to easily skate away with gold.

And Nancy would have stood a better chance at gold had Tonya been barred from competition. It was a distracting, zoolike atmosphere that probably resulted in a bit of a bias against the U.S. Tonya had no reason to be there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So, in the interest of keeping the The Edge interesting during the off-season, I am making the attempt to introduce a "Wuzrobbed" series, in which we can discuss our favorite "wuzrobbed"s of the old-school of skating. Hopefully, results pre-IJS are far enough in the past that we can discuss them with analysis and passion without anything getting nasty. I'd like to think of this as an attempt to foster thoughtful debate about what matters to us as individual skating fans, within the limits of a specific context. And also an attempt to keep us entertained!

to clear things up

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I forgot how much Oksana's skating (mostly the facial expressions and arm movements, actually) annoys me. I can't be objective with this one. Nancy's not my fave skater but I enjoyed watching her most of the time, whereas I usually click out of a YouTube program about halfway through if it's Oksana.

...Oksana clearly had the more appealing performance(s) in my opinion and the judges' opinions.

It is not exactly clear how to evaluate "the judges' opinions." Going in, it was pretty much agreed that there were four Kerrigan judges (USA, Canada, Great Britain and Japan) and four Baiul judges (Ukraine, Czech Republic, Finland and China) who were pre-committed to Nancy or to Oksana, respectively. That left the German judge (he had competed for East Germany) to decide the competition. Hoffman gave Kerrigan 5.8, 5.8 and Oksana 5.7, 5.9, and on the tie-breaker the fifth ordinal and the gold medal went to Baiul.

By the way, Oksana got two third place ordinals (from Canada and Great Britain), with Chen Lu picking up the two second place ordinals. In all, the panel gave these ordinals.

Kerrigan: 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2

Baiul: 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3

So there you go. The panel of judges has spoken.

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
I forgot how much Oksana's skating (mostly the facial expressions and arm movements, actually) annoys me. I can't be objective with this one. Nancy's not my fave skater but I enjoyed watching her most of the time, whereas I usually click out of a YouTube program about halfway through if it's Oksana.

In agree in everything you have said.
For me it was hard to watch her in 1994; she looked with a very labile nervous system. It was painful. I even wanted to write her a letter, which I never did of course.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I couldn't watch either of them all the way through. They both bored me. Wow. Figure skating is sooooo much better now. THANK GOD!

karlowens2

On the Ice
to clear things up

No call to speak derisively to others. I see you're Chan4ever and you thought I was going after Patrick. Nothing could be further from my mind. I just picked up on a different aspect of the thread. Never mind, I'll find another thread.