Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs

stella luna

Final Flight
I agree with this. Lillehamer was a circus and undignified due to Tonya. I think Nancy was hurt by Tonya's shoe lace incident. Americans are not popular, and almost universally disliked, and here we're at the Olympics getting all the attention and bringing all the drama. Katarina Witt was incredibly upset that her comeback didn't even register due to the T/N circus. It took Oksana a huge crash with Tanja Swewchenko to even get noted. If I was a judge I'd probably have had a subtle anti-American bias.

I know this won't be popular, but I think Nancy and her lover/married agent milked that whole whack. All she had was a bruise to her knee and you'd think by the way her PR team talked that she was near paralysis. I'm sure she had taken even more painful falls to her knee during practice than just a whack with a baton. Oh well, that was 22 years ago.

Everyone today talks about how great the whack was for the sport because of the increased ratings and publicity. I thought it was embarrassing for the U.S.

It was like a student rushing into the classroom just in time for a term paper deadline but you can see that her hair is all pushed to one side because she clearly fell asleep at the end of an all-nighter. I see you, girl!

:laugh: :agree: :points:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
You really think that the reigning World Champion needed a crash with Tanja to get noted by the judges? :scratch3:

I think Liam meant the general public drawn by the whole crazy Tonya-Nancy affairs without knowing figure skating well enough started realizing that the other skaters were there to compete in the event. :)

G/G were the rightful winners. The skating skills, the effortless movement across the ice, the chemistry, interpretation, the unison in every movement...that is pairs skating.

I agree completely with this. Except … M&D brought the funk (to Rachmaninov). To me, M&D should get some points for originality, starting with the costumes.

But yeah, in the "this is pairs skating" category, G&G were without peer.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think Liam meant the general public drawn by the whole crazy Tonya-Nancy affairs without knowing figure skating well enough started realizing that the other skaters were there to compete in the event. :)
You're probably right. :) But I wanted to point out that Oksana was the favourite. Probably not to the Americans of course, but to the rest of the world she (and probably Bonaly) was the favourite. Nancy had the major meltdown at Worlds the previous year plus she wasn't able to compete at Nationals so she really was the dark horse of the competiton. Nancy did amazingly well. I'm still impressed at how she was able to hold it together with that amount of pressure ... great athlete.

Meoima

Match Penalty
G/G were the rightful winners. The skating skills, the effortless movement across the ice, the chemistry, interpretation, the unison in every movement...that is pairs skating.
M/D had better choreography though

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

except for the lack of synch in SBS spin and wonky jumping ? so unison in every movement, not that night unfortunately

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
M/D had better choreography though

I also prefer M/D's both programs to G/G at the 1994 Olympics. The SP's choreography was dynamic, creative, and sensual while their lyrical LP was well woven with the Rachmaninoff's concerto. I love G/G's EX though. The sweet chemistry between them is like a heaven.

stella luna

Final Flight
You're probably right. :) But I wanted to point out that Oksana was the favourite. Probably not to the Americans of course, but to the rest of the world she (and probably Bonaly) was the favourite. Nancy had the major meltdown at Worlds the previous year plus she wasn't able to compete at Nationals so she really was the dark horse of the competiton. Nancy did amazingly well. I'm still impressed at how she was able to hold it together with that amount of pressure ... great athlete.

She saw a sports psychologist and conquered her performance anxiety. You have to give her props for that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Actually in the USA i recall that Oksana, Surya and Chen Lu were seen as co-favorites other than the Americans. Oksana was very much on the radar and in the conversation already. I don't recall it ever being presented as a slam dunk, it was always presented as their were challengers to beat.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Yes, that's exactly what I meant... Which is why I also referred to Witt's comeback getting little to no fanfare. The American media was relentless in Lillehamer, and you'd have thought the gold medal was just between the two of them (T/N). I wish Kerrigan would have hit her 3flip at the start, because then it would have been no contest between her and Oksana IMO. Oh well, the 3flip has killed so many Olympic gold dreams.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yes, that's exactly what I meant... Which is why I also referred to Witt's comeback getting little to no fanfare. The American media was relentless in Lillehamer, and you'd have thought the gold medal was just between the two of them (T/N). I wish Kerrigan would have hit her 3flip at the start, because then it would have been no contest between her and Oksana IMO. Oh well, the 3flip has killed so many Olympic gold dreams.

Interesting that the lutz is seen as the harder jump and worth more... but I think you may be right that the flip might be the bigger nemesis.

Witt's comeback in part did not get fanfare as she was not really a medal favorite at that Olympics. She was doing it out of love and tribute. She was second at German nationals and Tanja Szewczenko also beat her at the Olympics. It got attention, but more fluff attention that her trying to medal attention.

I also am not sure how much the American media was pushing that Tonya was a favorite... more of it was being pushed that she was 4th at the last Olympics, two of the ladies that beat her were no there, and she had been known to land 3As. It was much more that she had potential to be a contender if she skated well than she was a favorite.

^ I also recall that there was some resentment at the come-backers, especially Brian Boitano.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Interesting that the lutz is seen as the harder jump and worth more... but I think you may be right that the flip might be the bigger nemesis.

I imagine the skaters practiced the lutz a lot more, since most top skaters did more lutzes than flips in their programs.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
except for the lack of synch in SBS spin and wonky jumping ? so unison in every movement, not that night unfortunately

M/D's 2A were "iffy" as well. But what stood out to me was that G/G has FAR, FAR superior lifts and the pair spins were slightly better. Choreographically, I preferred G/G's free program, more seamless, the musical cut was better, and the skating skills are also superior. Am I the only one who's given them the first ordinal thus far? :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
maybe, in this occasion i am biased... artur haunted my puberty and with this costume ...:love:

M/D's 2A were "iffy" as well. But what stood out to me was that G/G has FAR, FAR superior lifts and the pair spins were slightly better. Choreographically, I preferred G/G's free program, more seamless, the musical cut was better, and the skating skills are also superior. Am I the only one who's given them the first ordinal thus far? :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Even more confusing than winning the Olympics is how Oksana managed to win Worlds the year before. She skated a fabulous Short Program but then her Long Program was relatively immature and technically lacking. She lost Europeans to Bonaly, who then skated her best ever at Worlds...and lost. And there's poor Lu Chen who outskated both of them, IMO, and had been on the World podium the year before (unlike them), yet placed behind both of them.

Without that World title she wouldn't have been taken nearly as seriously at the Olympics, especially as she yet again lost Europeans to Bonaly that year.

Last edited: