Kovtun leaves Buyanova, goes to Goncharenko | Golden Skate

Kovtun leaves Buyanova, goes to Goncharenko

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/1000735/

Bronze medalist of the European Championship-2016 Maxim Kovtun parted ways with his coach Elena Buyanova, and will work in a group of Inna Goncharenko. This decision was made immediately after both programs were set for the new season in the former mentor's group (choreographer of both productions, as in previous seasons, was Peter Tchernyshev). According to Buyanova, the athlete explained his departure saying that he needed to prepare for the Olympic Games "in a different way."

What a little brat :biggrin:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I would've preferred for him to go to Urmanov instead.....
Anyway, I hope that working alongside Voronov and Radionova would push him to work better.

adelia

Record Breaker
He had no choice in this matter. Better Goncharenko than Sokolovskaya anyway.

adelia

Record Breaker
You know something? Share with us, please.
The user "Gus" (the same guy who first leaked about Sotskova's and Voronov's move) on FSO mentioned it not long after Worlds ended. That after TCC, CSKA upper management would decide whether or not to transfer Kovtun to another coach within CSKA, most likely to Goncharenko. They were losing patience with him.

Edit:
He also suggested that one other move might take place within CSKA, but at the moment it doesn't look like the girl will be changing coaches.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Well makes sense to me.
Imho Buyanova and Kovtun was not working out, not as one season failure, but overall. Moving may help him to actually fix his issues.

Batsuchan

Medalist
So earlier today, Goncharenko said she was still discussing with Kovtun, and someone from the Fed said it wasn't final yet...but now apparently she's accepted? I can't read the FSO thread (I'm not registered there). :confused:

I have mixed feelings about this. :unsure: I'm not a fan of Kovtun, but I am a fan of Radionova and Voronov, so personally I'd prefer if Goncharenko could focus her time on them.

On the other hand, if this move shifts the balance of power such that Goncharenko's group gets preferential treatment and more money and ice time, then I can't complain. (Currently Buyanova's group gets a lot more money because she's the head coach, and from what I've read on the forums, they get 4 hours of ice time; Goncharenko's group only gets 3 hours, or 2.75 hours.) I'm guessing this is not the case, though. It sounds like CSKA has kind of given up on Kovtun, so unfortunately I doubt they'll give better conditions to Goncharenko's team.

Does this move also make it less likely that I'll get to see Peter Tchernyshev choreograph for Radionova?? :(

The user "Gus" (the same guy who first leaked about Sotskova's and Voronov's move) on FSO mentioned it not long after Worlds ended. That after TCC, CSKA upper management would decide whether or not to transfer Kovtun to another coach within CSKA, most likely to Goncharenko. They were losing patience with him.

Edit:
He also suggested that one other move might take place within CSKA, but at the moment it doesn't look like the girl will be changing coaches.

Which girl are you talking about? Elizaveta Yushchenko?
Or is this the rumor about Radionova leaving Goncharenko that comes up every 2 months, only to be proven wrong... :laugh:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the other hand, if this move shifts the balance of power such that Goncharenko's group gets preferential treatment and more money and ice time, then I can't complain. (Currently Buyanova's group gets a lot more money because she's the head coach, and from what I've read on the forums, they get 4 hours of ice time; Goncharenko's group only gets 3 hours, or 2.75 hours.) I'm guessing this is not the case, though. It sounds like CSKA has kind of given up on Kovtun, so unfortunately I doubt they'll give better conditions to Goncharenko's team.

I wouldn't count on it, Buyanova is head coach at CSKA. Plus Buyanova has Pitkeev and Sotskova so I don't know why Voronov and Kovtun would tilt the power in Goncharenko's favor.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Too late. His time would be better spent focused on other interests. Although his skating is hilariously horrific so he should stick around for the laughs. Lol

Batsuchan

Medalist
I wouldn't count on it, Buyanova is head coach at CSKA. Plus Buyanova has Pitkeev and Sotskova so I don't know why Voronov and Kovtun would tilt the power in Goncharenko's favor.

Well, after the move, Goncharenko would technically have the #1 and #5 men from 2016 Russian Nationals, and the #2 lady. Pitkeev was #9 (and still injured), and Sotskova was #5, Sotnikova #6. One could argue that Goncharenko has more highly ranked skaters.

BUT I agree with you, I think the fact that Buyanova is head coach trumps everything else.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Too late. His time would be better spent focused on other interests. Although his skating is hilariously horrific so he should stick around for the laughs. Lol

Too late? :rofl: He's 20 years old and a 3-time national champion, whether you like him or not. I guess it's too late for Mikhail Kolyada, too, since he's 21 already & has no major titles at all. And never mind all the skaters who didn't peak until they were in their mid-20s or later.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Too late? :rofl: He's 20 years old and a 3-time national champion, whether you like him or not. I guess it's too late for Mikhail Kolyada, too, since he's 21 already & has no major titles at all. And never mind all the skaters who didn't peak until they were in their mid-20s or later.

Well I like to live in, you know, reality.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He needs to learn to jump! Worst technique in men's skating. Looks like he's going into a Charlotte spiral setting up for quads! Plus If he only wants to be a jumper in order to be successful in today's climate he needs quad loop lutz or axel!

formersk8ter

On the Ice
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/1000735/

Bronze medalist of the European Championship-2016 Maxim Kovtun parted ways with his coach Elena Buyanova, and will work in a group of Inna Goncharenko. This decision was made immediately after both programs were set for the new season in the former mentor's group (choreographer of both productions, as in previous seasons, was Peter Tchernyshev). According to Buyanova, the athlete explained his departure saying that he needed to prepare for the Olympic Games "in a different way."

What a little brat :biggrin:

Well, with the way he's been skating, I guess it can't hurt...

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
Most important is that Kovtun has already put his new free program with Petr Chernyshov and Buyanova then left :biggrin:
On his instagram acount he admits he wanted to put as much moves as he could before leaving and that he behaved as an*** (there goes the bad word).

Tutto

Record Breaker
Most important is that Kovtun has already put his new free program with Petr Chernyshov and Buyanova then left :biggrin:
On his instagram acount he admits he wanted to put as much moves as he could before leaving and that he behaved as an*** (there goes the bad word).

He also thanked Buyanova for all she's done for him though the whole post sounds rather pathetic. Is he really 20? Sounds more like 13

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Bit odd situation but I guess that I should have learned already that trying to figure our Russian figure skaters (or Russians generally) is impossible :biggrin: