2016 Rio: Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Women's Artistic Gymnastics

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Since the men's and rhythmic threads were up, I thought we needed this one to complete the set. :p

I haven't really been following closely since 2013, but I did manage to get myself caught up on what's happened during the rest of the quad.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
For my USA dream team:

1Gabby Douglas
2 Simone Biles
3 Madisson Kocian (i don't know how to write her name properly)
4 Aly Raisman
5 IDK

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Russia
1 Komova
2 Paseka
3 Mustafina, if still not injured
4 Afanasyeva
5 Tukhalyan

ioanna

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone can challenge USA for team gold. Russia, China, UK and possibly Japan or Brazil will fight for the silver and bronze.

Also, nothing can stop Simone Biles from getting the AA gold. The other medals are up for grabs between Gabby Douglas, Aliya Mustafina (if she's healthy), Shang Chunsong, Giulia Steingruber and who knows who else will make a surprise.

I expect the vault podium to be a combination of Simone Biles, Maria Paseka, Hong Un-jong and/or Giulia Steingruber.

Uneven bars... I've no idea but I don't see 4 gold medals happening again.

Balance beam... Simone Biles will be there again. The rest of the podium is ??? whoever manages to stay on the apparatus.

Simone Biles, Giulia Steingruber, Ksenia Afanasyeva, Shang Chunsong, Sae Miyakawa will probably be in the mix for floor.

Naya

On the Ice
Ioanna, do you know if Larissa Iordache will be able to compete in Rio since she was bronze medalist in Glasgow last year?

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Roumanian fed has only 1 spot, it is between her and Ponor. Actually, she quallyfied but the fed has the last word regarding the issue. It would be sad if she doesn't go to Rio

ioanna

Record Breaker
Ioanna, do you know if Larissa Iordache will be able to compete in Rio since she was bronze medalist in Glasgow last year?

No. Only the event final medalists get a ticket to Rio, the all-around medalists don't. There have been petitions to change the rule but FIG will only change it for Tokyo 2020. That means Romania only gets one spot thanks to the test event. The spot is mainly between Larisa Iordache and Catalina Ponor, although Laura Jurca should also be considered as back-up. The way things are looking right now, Ponor is more prepared than Iordache, whose training hasn't gone smoothly since she fractured her finger. She had a second surgery just recently.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I don't know very much about WAG technically, but I follow it, so I hope I can learn more about it before the Olympics. Since it is easier to find information about American gymnasts (as I am American), they are the ones I know the most about. Thus, I definitely know who I want to be on the team. My dream American team: Biles/Nichols/Kocian/Raisman/no idea. Maybe Ragan Smith? I really liked her at Pac Rims. :)

Also, I want to start more closely following the Chinese gymnasts because I have this very irrational ideas that since I love the Chinese pairs so much, I will like their gymnasts, too...like I said, kind of irrational. But it is always good to find new athletes to enjoy, no matter how weird your means of finding them is. :agree:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I love artistic gymnastics, but I don't follow it extensively. I'm glad the US had a strong team though. I've always loved the gymnasts from the US, Russia, and China (from Beijing and London). I want to discover new athletes though! I'm excited for rio.

Imagine

Medalist
Why is this sport called Artistic Gymnastics and Rhythmic Gymnastics is called Rhythmic Gymnastics? Shouldn't it be the reverse? Sorry if this belongs in Stupid Questions but it's not skating related....I've always wondered.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Why is this sport called Artistic Gymnastics and Rhythmic Gymnastics is called Rhythmic Gymnastics? Shouldn't it be the reverse? Sorry if this belongs in Stupid Questions but it's not skating related....I've always wondered.

I don't think it's stupid at all. It confuses me a lot. In Polish the terminology has much more sense to me. Artistic Gymnastics would literally translate to 'Sports Gymnastics' as it is very athletic discipline. And the Rythmic Gymnastics is what we call 'Artistic Gymnastics', as there actually is very clear artistic value in contrary to the other one...

rosacotton

Final Flight
Uneven bars... I've no idea but I don't see 4 gold medals happening again.

I don't believe that will be a problem. Unlike other events, ties are not allowed at the Olympics; if it happens, a tiebreaker is used (which I don't know anything about). It happened in London during the event finals I think, and in 2008 I recall Nastia Liukin getting the same winning score in the uneven bars final as the Chinese gymnast Kexin, but she ended up with silver.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I don't believe that will be a problem. Unlike other events, ties are not allowed at the Olympics; if it happens, a tiebreaker is used (which I don't know anything about). It happened in London during the event finals I think, and in 2008 I recall Nastia Liukin getting the same winning score in the uneven bars final as the Chinese gymnast Kexin, but she ended up with silver.

Yeah it happened in London when Catalina Ponor (Romania) lost balance beam bronze to Aly Raisman (USA) due to the tiebreaker rule. If the uneven bars final in Glasgow had happened at the Olympics, Fan Yilin would have gotten the gold, Daria Spiridonova the silver but I don't know about Komova and Kocian because they had the same D and E score.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I know most of you are Americans but the European Championships are soon starting on June 1st in case you are interested. :)

MalAssada

Medalist
I really enjoy Flavia Saraiva, from Brazil. She has no possibility of being on the podium due to low scores, but she is a great performer.

Reynnou

On the Ice
I really enjoy Flavia Saraiva, from Brazil. She has no possibility of being on the podium due to low scores, but she is a great performer.

She has a shot at the beam podium. She has the difficulty and execution but beam is beam so you never know...

MalAssada

Medalist
She has a shot at the beam podium. She has the difficulty and execution but beam is beam so you never know...

I was wondering. She has a great beam but she tends to be nervous during the big things. The difference between the classifier in Worlds and the actual championship had a difference of around 10 places, IIRC.

Reynnou

On the Ice
I was wondering. She has a great beam but she tends to be nervous during the big things. The difference between the classifier in Worlds and the actual championship had a difference of around 10 places, IIRC.

She usually is very nervous but if she can repeat performances like the ones she did in Baku or at the test event earlier this year she can reach the final and win a medal.
Beam finals have been disappointing this quad and the scores she get when she stays on the beam should be enough for a podium!