2016 Rio: Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Women's Artistic Gymnastics

Naya

On the Ice
Well, Russia's track and field is out of Rio, IAAF just decided to keep the suspension. I won't deny I'm kinda of sad, but such decision was expected and, let's be honest, fair. I only wish good luck to Russian athletes from other modalities, especially gymnasts, who will suffer extra pressure to win medals.

lavoix

Match Penalty
As a big artistic gymnastics fan and follower, Komova's absence from the Games is quite a tragedy. I think she really was pushing herself too hard to be ready for the AA competition.

As for the Romanian selection, I don't see how a gymnast with only 2 months of training can go to Rio, regardless if she is at 75% form (where did this number come from anyway??). Romania needs to go through a massive restructure, and I think Iordache's presence in the team next quad would be great.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Romanian National Championships are starting tomorrow. It's the first time Iordache and Ponor will compete against each other but in true Romanian fashion, things didn't start well. Larisa got a contusion in the FX podium training and Catalina was rushed to the ER with stomach flu. Both appear to be fine at the moment and they're still set to compete this weekend. The word "mess" doesn't even begin to describe the whole situation.

As for the Romanian selection, I don't see how a gymnast with only 2 months of training can go to Rio, regardless if she is at 75% form (where did this number come from anyway??). Romania needs to go through a massive restructure, and I think Iordache's presence in the team next quad would be great.
An approximation from Iordache herself.

Update: Iordache has withdrawn. Ponor's condition didn't get any better so she may withdraw as well.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Iordache ended up competing today and winning the all-around :laugh:

Video of her uneven bars
http://zeddy1.tumblr.com/post/146799507730/larisa-iordache-uneven-bars-romanian-nationals

Video of her beam
http://zeddy1.tumblr.com/post/146800185457/larisa-iordache-balance-beam-romanian-nationals

Catalina Ponor's vault
http://zeddy1.tumblr.com/post/146799036732/catalina-ponor-vault-romanian-nationals-2016

Catalina Ponor's beam (fall)
http://zeddy1.tumblr.com/post/146800728466/catalina-ponor-balance-beam-romanian-nationals

This was Iordache's first competition in ages and she injured her back a couple of days ago. Ponor came back after food poisoning. Terrible conditions but Larisa Iordache won this round. They will compete against each other at two more competitions (not sure which).

Last edited:

lavoix

Match Penalty
That's the best choice for Romania. It's been a messy year, but Ponor fully deserves it because of better health and form.

Layback11

Record Breaker
And we now have an American team: https://thegymter.net/2016/07/10/the-2016-u-s-olympic-trials-day-two-live-blog/

(Biles, Douglas, Raisman, Hernandez, Kocian + Locklear, Smith, and Skinner. Pretty much what I expected.)

Thoughts:
1. Biles was never not going-you would literally have to be crazy not to have her in your predictions. But still, congratulations!
2. I've been thoroughly impressed with Aly Raisman's consistency in recent competitions. Hope she can keep it up. :)
3. Laurie Hernandez is perf, okay? Just...:love: I kind of definitely want her in AA. :yes:
4. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm honestly a but surprised that Gabby made it. She did not have a great Nationals and Trials was just short of a disaster...but all the more congratulations for making it anyway!
5. Madison! :love: Would anyone have had her on the team even a few weeks ago? I love it when gymnasts who aren't "locks" get in and sort of (not entirely, in her case) surprise everyone. She really proved herself at Nationals and then again at Trials, and look where she is now! Hope she gets a bars medal. :yahoo:
6. Why is Ashton an alternate but Maggie isn't? It kind of blew my mind that a gymnast who competes two events was given the spot ahead of a gymnast who competed all four and came in 6th. I have nothing against Ashton, but that was an odd decision. And considering that they took Madison, who basically negates the purpose of putting Ashton on the team (except in the astronomically unlikely case that someone is injured and it happens to be her), it makes even less sense. But...whatever.

Congratulations to all the girls! I can't wait to watch them do things. :cool: :clap: Only about a month to go!

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Locklear's probably there as a bars alternate, I like Hernandez too, I think a lot of people had Kocian on the team for bars, and I think that's the end of my thoughts. :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yi-makes-right-choice-gabby-douglas/86931092/

Hope that Martha was right in choosing Gabby. She's now under a lot of pressure to improve in the next few weeks.

I really like Laurie Hernandez, too. She's got a lot of confidence and talent.

Is this the most ethnically diverse ladies' gymnastics team yet? Two African Americans, a Latina, a Jew and a token white girl, lol. I think it's great that this team is representative of American gymnastics and America at large.

charmblade

Final Flight
I understand why they chose Locklear as an alternate, but I'm surprised that they picked Ragan Smith as an alternate over Maggie. IMHO Maggie has been steadily improving from her injury and could help the team on more events than Ragan could.

ETA: Ok, I actually looked at the final results and I hadn't realized that Ragan actually finished ahead of Maggie in the AA standings. Only by .15, but still higher. I still think Maggie would be more helpful to the team based on what her strengths are and her previous world championship experience, but I guess they took the higher placed athlete. I'm still sad for Maggie though. :(

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I think we're using the other one for the qualifying round and this one for general news or everything else? :scratch:

thoakun

Final Flight
This has been circulated since yesterday:

2006 World All Around Champion Vanessa Ferrari competes in her third Olympic Games, and scores a 14.866 on her best event and qualifies in third place to the floor event final. Vanessa’s floor music, “Nessun Dorma” was the floor music she used at the age of 16 when she became Italy’s first World All Around Champion. Using a different cut of the music and new choreography, Vanessa’s homage to the start of her career reflects her maturity and growth in the sport.

After qualifications, Vanessa said in an interview “After I got up from the down-to-the-floor part I felt my legs shaking and I told myself, don’t mess it up at the end! You lasted 10 years, you can last another 10 seconds.
:thumbsup::points::gclap: