Best costume, hair or make up for 2015-2016 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best costume, hair or make up for 2015-2016

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
alex shibutani has the best hair ;)
Men? Well, I liked Daniel Samohin's FS costume, and Yuzuru's SP costume...and Takahito Mura's SP costume for the lulz. Hair-strangely, I kind of want to give this to Mikhail Kolyada. If ice dance men count, Alex Shib and Guillaume Cizeron.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Costume for me has to be Kaitlyn Weaver's SD dress. Andrew's was also wonderful, but Kaitlyn's dress looked designer. No other costume came as close for me to looking like it came off the runway.
Hair: Have to go with Poje's mane. It's got its own Twitter account too! :laugh:

senatormls

On the Ice
Being that this season was midway to South Korea, there were really no eye-popping outfits this year. When it comes to cute, Mirai's LP outfit was perfect. Javi's was best for character, simple and effective.
Unfortunately, there were far more worst-dressed this season. Elena Radionova's 'look at my panties outfits' ( and that flaking make-up) is tops on my worst-dressed list. Pogo meeds better 'flesh', she is quite stunning as a young woman, but she needs to work it better. Patrick Chan's SP corporate casual was just lazy. I think Ashley's dress was better, but both hair colors were too dark and made her face look pale. And don't get me started about Polina Edmonds.. I'll stop before I get reprimanded!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Being that this season was midway to South Korea, there were really no eye-popping outfits this year. When it comes to cute, Mirai's LP outfit was perfect. Javi's was best for character, simple and effective.
Unfortunately, there were far more worst-dressed this season. Elena Radionova's 'look at my panties outfits' ( and that flaking make-up) is tops on my worst-dressed list. Pogo meeds better 'flesh', she is quite stunning as a young woman, but she needs to work it better. Patrick Chan's SP corporate casual was just lazy. I think Ashley's dress was better, but both hair colors were too dark and made her face look pale. And don't get me started about Polina Edmonds.. I'll stop before I get reprimanded!

If you thought Patrick's SP costume was lazy, what did you think of his FS costume? After Skate Canada it devolved into slightly blingy practice wear. :)

janav

On the Ice
Best hair, makeup and costume award goes to Ksenia Stolbova in my opinion! https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vBjJh5CZR7U/maxresdefault.jpg
The short hair suits her so much and I love that shade of lipstick (if anyone knows what brand that is, I'd love to know!). The whole look blended so well with the feel of the program. :bow:

Another great makeup: Rika Hongo's in her Cirque the Soleil SP (not a big fan of the costume tbh. Too much illusion mesh for my liking). But I loved that two colored eye look. Looked great! https://i.ytimg.com/vi/p8TUj_ecgwU/maxresdefault.jpg

Best hair? Definitely Evgenia! http://www.goldenskate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Evgenia-Medvedeva-1.jpg
Honorable mention: Gracie's hairstyle at Skate America. I know lot of people compared it to a bird's nest but I liked it a lot http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/27f6664fb8ef48299f06ee96e2d6771613497b2a/c=170-0-2830-2000&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/10/23/USATODAY/USATODAY/635811906670767598-GTY-491113728-76436350.JPG

Among men, I loved Daniel Samohin Sherlock costume. That waistcoat was spot on! http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-03/19/135203069_14583494271341n.jpg

Honorable mention among men goes to Deniss Vasiljevs'' Tron costume. Again, lot of people didn't find it good but I liked it :yes:. Deniss could benefit from a different hairstyle though. As long as it isn't the oh-so-in-but-oh -so-terrible half shaved head with longer hair on top. CoughIvanRighiniCough.)

And is it too much to mention Guilleme Cizeron for the clothes he wears on his instagram pictures? Oh wait, it's mostly just underwear :laugh:. Still, he deserves a spot on my best-dressed list :biggrin:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Best costumes:

Javier Fernandez
Yazuru Hanyu
Mao Asada (exhibition is my favourite)
Ashley Wagner
Ksenia Stolbova
Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte
Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier SD Boston. Quirky, gaudy and kitsch yet that's why I love it! It suited that funny choreography perfectly, deliberate design.
Madison Hubbell & Zach Donahue SD
Satoko Miyahara SP
Adam Rippon
Gabriela Papadakis red dress
Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje

Worst costumes:
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Elena Radionova FS Boston

I don't care much about hair or make up unless something tacky appears.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
LOL my dearest mrrice... cynthia wiins best hair costume and makeup any year she's competed but not in 2015-16 :) please find another winner ;) thanks for the memories though ;)

Agree...what a classic beauty Cynthia was/is! And always, impeccably costumed and coiffed.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Now that I know which year is eligible, I'm going to give best hair Male, to Alex Shibutani. Best hair Female, I'm going to give it Polina Edmonds. You know who else has good hair. Keegan Messing......Maybe it's the cold Alaskan air but, when I saw him live, I couldn't believe what great hair he had. Misha Ge and his giant red hairdo is another one of my favorites.

I'm going to give my best overall appearance Male, to Eric Radford. That dude has it goin' on. ;) Ladies over all.......It's very difficult, but if I can only choose one, it has to be Madison Chock.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Agree...what a classic beauty Cynthia was/is! And always, impeccably costumed and coiffed.

I know it was appropriate for the theme but, I was not a fan of her Cleopatra costume. Thank Gawd she skated so well at Worlds that year.

thoakun

Final Flight
There're a lot of beautiful costume, gorgeous hair and makeup in FS but I generally only pay attention to those with the complete package.
I think Anna Cappellini' nailed it in both her SD and FD. I'm particularly smitten by the classy wedding dress and I've been dying to learn how to recreate her updos.
http://www.snowalps.com/foto/albums/userpics/14361/n_ICE_1131.jpg
I'm more obsessed about hair than makeup and fashion so I always look for beautiful hairdos. I think Madison Chock and Elena Ilinykh are two other dancers who have a very clear idea of what they want to look for their programs.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Best Hair-Rippon's Blue for The Beatles medley:dance:

Best costume -Mao's butterfly dress and the Shibsib's Free dance

Best makeup -Nagasu's The Great Gatsby

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am curious about male costumes... so many people say chiddy's aren't great.... because they are like yoga pants with a few beads on them... if I completely agree he has had more elaborated costumes before, I like his FP costume because it is so simple that all you look at are his beautiful lines.... am I the only appreciating his FP costume?

Regarding his SP costume, well... the song is a crooner's song from the 1940s... so perhaps that's why they went with a vest etc... but yeah. a bit bland...

So what makes a good male costume?

withwings

On the Ice
Simplicity.

i am curious about male costumes... so many people say chiddy's aren't great.... because they are like yoga pants with a few beads on them... if I completely agree he has had more elaborated costumes before, I like his FP costume because it is so simple that all you look at are his beautiful lines.... am I the only appreciating his FP costume?

Regarding his SP costume, well... the song is a crooner's song from the 1940s... so perhaps that's why they went with a vest etc... but yeah. a bit bland...

Layback11

Record Breaker

My criteria:

1. Color: more than one color, and not all/predominantly black or gray.
2. Not too sparkly: some bling is fine, but WOOHOO LET'S BEDAZZLE THE UNIVERSE! is too much.
3. Fits the music: makes sense, follows the theme of the program, establishes a character.
4. Interesting: a combination of all three above criteria, with the addition of needing to be at least somewhat interesting to look at.
5. Well-fitting: nothing is worse than baggy pants, ill-fitting mesh sleeves, or an awkwardly-tight unitard. It must flatter the skater and fit as it was intended to.

And the most important of all: not ugly. :p

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

IMO, it depends on the skater's personality and music. While simpler can be better, a little sparkle isn't so bad. (I generally don't like costumes with a lot of illusion fabric, random sparkles and ruffles)

For example, I loved Adam's "Sargent Pepper" inspired costume with the purple mesh and the sparkles, but that wouldn't work on someone like Max. Max, on the other hand, goes for tight and simple but sometimes I think he could use a little something else on his costumes.

I also loved Yuzu's FS costume for "Seimei," while not simple, it conveyed the character well. It also wasn't the busy mess his costumes usually are. Javi also had great costumes this year - for his SP and FS - conveyed the characters well without being too distracting.

I think the problem with Patrick's costumes was that they looked so "off the rack" and not something tailor made for the programs.

Last edited: