Watershed Moments: Olympic Swimming | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Watershed Moments: Olympic Swimming

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, then.

To be wholly clear: I would boo any drug cheat, regardless of nationality, be they Russian, Chinese, American, or even Australian. Drug cheats are unacceptable, and that is why I believe WADA have made such an unacceptably poor bungle of the lead-up to this Games.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oops, wrong thread!

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
To be wholly clear: I would boo any drug cheat, regardless of nationality, be they Russian, Chinese, American, or even Australian. Drug cheats are unacceptable, and that is why I believe WADA have made such an unacceptably poor bungle of the lead-up to this Games.

Agree. I also don't get IOC. They wanted to take aways Olys from once cheaters, but then they changed their minds and some were let, the others - not. It's like children running organisations.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

In complete and total agreement.

In reference to an earlier comment, as an American, I am appalled that Justiin Gatlin is on our Olympic team.

Contrary to the sentiment that is brewing on several threads, this is NOT NOT NOT about Russia vs US, or a revival of the Cold War, or anything at all like that.

This is about the governing bodies of various sports failing to protect the reputations of their sports and failing to advance the interests of clean athletes. Period.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
How do you define drug cheats, though - is it anyone who ever tested positive? Only the people who did so intentionally? Those who were in a state system that forced the issue?

I don't think that taking the wrong supplement (which is stupid and careless), or getting busted for Meldonium because WADA screwed up with that, or using the wrong medication in a country where you don't speak the language (the Raducan case) is equivalent to intentional doping.

Also, I just found out that Clara Hughes once served a brief doping suspension. She's about the last person I'd have expected to have tested positive for anything, at any time. Should we judge someone like that, who's been a class act throughout her career and has done a world of good besides?

I just don't think that all doping cases are created equal.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do want to make this clear for our non-American friends:

We may disagree on who mucked up where (I happen to think WADA did the best they could and the IOC either doesn't know or doesn't care and Thomas Bach is an embarassment. But that is for another thread).

But I have excellent roots and training in booing (Philly boo-birds are quite renowned in American sport, at least for the Eagles (football), and probably beyond...), and this is who I would boo.

I would boo Sun. I would boo Yulia. I am American, and I would boo Justin Gatlin with all my lung capacity. Cheaters have no place in sports.

I hope the clean athletes win. And go Michael Phelps!;)

Iron Lotus

On the Ice
I read about this story a while ago. It's so amazing that 1936 was such a different time from nowadays but a child from a humble background was given opportunities to go places.

I don't know if things are all that different. Technologywise, yes. But there are plenty of successful people from humble backgrounds. And nations still use sports for political reasons :disapp:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#TeamSuctionCups

#TeamHickey

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#PhelpsFace does it.

G.O.A.T.:clap:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Aww really sad that Ning Zetao didn't make it to the Men's 100m Freestyle finals, at least I still have Cameron McEvoy to root for, Nathan Adrian making a comeback was something I did not expect, good for him!

liv

Record Breaker
Phelps wins ... again. While I recognize his amazing abilities, his longevity and desire to win, I have to admit I am kind of tired of him always winning... the finger wag was really obnoxious. I know, though, that it will be a long time, if ever, we see another like him. How many individual golds does he have now? It is impossible for anyone to top that unless they're a gymnast or another swimmer from the US or Australia (for success in relays). Happy he is going out on top by his choice , and not because of injuries etc..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ i don't like the finger wagging either.... Like Mark Tewskbury said, you don't have to like the man but we have to respect the performance.... so here I am... respecting his performance ;)

adelia

Record Breaker
Phelps wins ... again. While I recognize his amazing abilities, his longevity and desire to win, I have to admit I am kind of tired of him always winning... the finger wag was really obnoxious. I know, though, that it will be a long time, if ever, we see another like him. How many individual golds does he have now? It is impossible for anyone to top that unless they're a gymnast or another swimmer from the US or Australia (for success in relays). Happy he is going out on top by his choice , and not because of injuries etc..
You're tired of him winning? I consider myself lucky to be around to watch such a great athlete achieve something so historic. This is a rare piece of sporting history.

As for the finger wagging, it's actually amusing to watch, if they do it after they win. Most great athletes have some arrogance in them.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Phelps wins ... again. While I recognize his amazing abilities, his longevity and desire to win, I have to admit I am kind of tired of him always winning... the finger wag was really obnoxious.

I disagree about the finger wag. If you're some no-name nobody who's only just arrived on the scene, yes, the finger wag is obnoxious, but Phelps is the greatest swimmer in all of history, perhaps one of the greatest athletes in all of history. I think if anyone's earned the right to do the "number one!" finger wag, it's him.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
200 fly was amaaazing. Really happy with the podium.

I'm sad. Laszlo Cseh...He is an incredible athlete. He has every medal except the Olympic gold. ( five-time Olympic medalist, 2-time world champion 33-time European Champion etc..) But the gold failed again..that is his misfortune he competes with Michael Phelps in same era.

He was 7th yesterday, the other young Hungarian guy, Kenderesi beat him. At ECH in May 2016 Cseh won with 1:52.91 . New European Championships record. If he could swim as he did in May he won...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm sad. Laszlo Cseh...He is an incredible athlete. He has every medal except the Olympic gold. ( five-time Olympic medalist, 2-time world champion 33-time European Champion etc..) But the gold failed again..that is his misfortune he competes with Michael Phelps in same era.

He was 7th yesterday, the other young Hungarian guy, Kenderesi beat him. At ECH in May 2016 Cseh won with 1:52.91 . New European Championships record. If he could swim as he did in May he won...

Yeah, it looks a little like he didn't make it to peak at Olympics. He is definitely capable of better performances than what we have seen.